Phew. Riise signs for Roma

Kaizero

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/United-target-Liverpool-defender.3887378.jp

KEVIN Keegan is said to be back on the trail of Liverpool defender John Arne Riise.

The Newcastle United manager is looking to shore up his leaky defence, which conceded its 57th goal of the season at Birmingham last night.

And it is being reported today that one of his main targets could be Reds defender Riise, who is no longer an automatic first-team choice for Rafa Benitez.

The Magpies were linked with a move for Riise in the January transfer window, but, with the Anfield club still in the Champions League, nothing transpired.

However, if Keegan keeps Newcastle in the Premiership he is likely to receive a substantial transfer kitty from owne Mike Ashley.

And his first move could be a bid of about £3.5m for the Norwegian international.

Just rumours I reckon, though I dunno if I would've said no to that move. Though if it only was to patch up our defence I think Riise would do more bad than good.

Fucking hell. We don't need him, we don't want him, we don't want to see his fuck ugly face more than two times pr season. I nearly had a seizure last time we were linked with him. This doesn.ger,gmome'r'wbvpå m'vø,læE.-1!!

I think Enrique may be on his way in the summer tbh.

He'll end up as a good player I reckon, but Keegan I think is going to want full-backs who can really get up and down the flanks and be a threat going forward as much as being solid at the back. Enrique, and indeed Beye, look a bit awkward on the ball and not really ideal for that, can scarcely remeber either of them getting across of any note in last night.

Sam Allardyce full-backs if I ever saw them, probably not what we need for the long-term.

We dont need him and he's not good enough anymore. Enrique is a younger better version of him anyway if his shot last night is anything to go by.

Guest teepee

depending on enrique i'd have him. if jose plays well enough to become automatic first choice in a pl club we shouldn't spend too much on a left back.

if he does not, or if kk doesnt see him as good enough, then i think riise would be a decent buy at 3,5m. i dont think we can attract anyone better tbh

I don't think they look awkward on the ball but I don't think either are the type to bomb on. Beye is honest and does his best but he's about 32 and I actually wouldn't mind seeing him at CB alongside one of the others. Enrique lacks a bit of pace - certainly enough to get cause him problems if he gets caught out pushing too far forward imo. In that I agree they aren't the sort of fullbacks Keegan would ideally have chosen.

We need to stop buying players that are no longer required by the top Prem clubs, we are never going to get back to top flight football if we keep doing that.

Yeah okay we may not be in a great position to be that choosy but we can buy from other Leagues around the world and not just from the EPL.

Butt was a shocking signing really, no longer wanted by Man Ure so we sign him, its just daft.

He's not a KK type of signing though. The only players he bought that were past their sell-by date were ones to get us out of the Championship (as it is now, First Division then). I reckon it's bollocks.

Guest Lster

shiiit. Hope not, even though it would give more Newcastle coverage here in Norway. Fuckin hate the guy, ginger cunt.

We have one left back at the moment and so I wouldn't see this as the end of Enrique, but rather some competition.

Not that many great left backs out there, but if Keegan wants an attacking left back who is built for the premiership, with a shot even more venomous than Riise's then he should be ringing up Marseille pronto for Taye Taiwo.

However, I fully expect this from Keegan. The old premiership experienced spiel will be replayed over and over again this summer.

Expect the likes of Riise and Wes Brown for sure.

Wes Brown would be good but I would like him in along with someone else.

Wes Brown alongside Taylor or Faye and I'm not sure if that would be enough to improve us back there.

However, I fully expect this from Keegan. The old premiership experienced spiel will be replayed over and over again this summer.

Expect the likes of Riise and Wes Brown for sure.

You're mental.

:lol:

Calm down Dave! Goodness.

Keegan talked a fair bit about having players with premiership experience in January, and so I would expect him to continue to go after such players in the summer.

Why does that make me mental?

Guest Toepoke

I've always thought Riise was a good player, cracking shot on him but that seems to have deteriorated (sp?) this season aswell, good strike from enrique last night aswell which surprised me. IMO we do need more attacking full backs and should have went all out in January to get Hutton who is a class act we missed a trick there. However Enrique is doing alright and we've just spent 6 million on the lad he'll be a much better player next season if we survive also.

Just to add ...

Only in situations where we cannot find any decent prem experienced players would I expect us to get in players from abroad, especially concerning our defence.

I'm not having a go at Keegan either. I think Brown and Riise are alright as long as other defenders are brought in also.