Phew. Riise signs for Roma

Kaizero

I preffer it if we stuck/worked with Enrique. If Enrique goes then maybe go for Riise.

So you are happy with only one left back in our entire squad then?

Why do you only want one of them?

What a silly idea.

I preffer it if we stuck/worked with Enrique. If Enrique goes then maybe go for Riise.

What a silly idea.

He didn't say that, did he? As though Riise going to leave a side like Liverpool to sit on the bench here. Him coming here would mean him getting first team football more than likely and probably see Enrique leaving sooner rather than later.

I agree with practically all of you opinions that Enrique needs to stay, but i think, Riise, is a too good of a player to turn down. Him being brilliant cover for LB/LW in case of injuries/under performing players.

If he would be happy to sit behind Clichy/Rosicky waiting for injuries/fatigue/under performace.

Id love him at the arse!

Beye is honest and does his best but he's about 32

Wasn't he in his 20s when he joined us?  Doesn't half age fast.

You're right he was 29, now 30. I thought he was a bit older. Kudos on getting to the very essence of the point I was making btw.

How can any of you say you wouldnt want him?  ???

Absolute quality can play LB/LW and has a ferocious shot on him (although he hasnt scored for about 3 decades now)

Because he's not very good anymore, defensively he is pretty gash and he is rated higher than he should be because of his hollywood shots, that very very occasionally go in.

What a silly idea.

He didn't say that, did he? As though Riise going to leave a side like Liverpool to sit on the bench here. Him coming here would mean him getting first team football more than likely and probably see Enrique leaving sooner rather than later.

Enrique is inexperienced and young enough to play more of a back up role for another season or two though, so I don't see why it would mean Enrique leaving.

What a silly idea.

Enrique is inexperienced and young enough to play more of a back up role for another season or two though, so I don't see why it would mean Enrique leaving.

You think Enrique's going to sit on the bench for another two seasons perhaps, after doing it for most of this one? If he's happy doing that (which isn't what I'm saying) I wouldn't want him to stay anyway. Signing Riise would be a backward step imo because he'd want first team action, otherwise there'd be no point in him coming. Unless we're going to pay him a fortune to sit on the bench, which would also be pointless. We need cover at left-back though, aye.

Enrique isn't a full international and had only played a handful of games for Villareal, so I doubt he is demanding a first team place already.

As long as he is a part of the squad and gets a decent amount of games as second choice I really doubt he would have a problem with that in the short term. He's only 21 and although a decent player who I rate, is by no means a world beater yet.

Enrique isn't a full international and had only played a handful of games for Villareal, so I doubt he is demanding a first team place already.

As long as he is a part of the squad and gets a decent amount of games as second choice I really doubt he would have a problem with that in the short term. He's only 21 and although a decent player who I rate, is by no means a world beater yet.

And Riise is? I agree we need cover but how long does Enrique need to bed in exactly? If he's still here next season I either expect him to be starting the majority of games or by understudy to someone significantly better. I'm not sure that Riise is that and we've all seen what happens when we buy the cast-offs of the 'big 4' - i.e. we pay demotivated players a fortune to go through the motions.

And Riise is? I agree we need cover but how long does Enrique need to bed in exactly? If he's still here next season I either expect him to be starting the majority of games or by understudy to someone significantly better. I'm not sure that Riise is that and we've all seen what happens when we buy the cast-offs of the 'big 4' - i.e. we pay demotivated players a fortune to go through the motions.

Fair enough. I'm not necessarily saying Enrique ought to be understudy to Riise, but I do feel he should be understudy to someone in the short term. Would be ideal if we could get in a more experienced left back better than Riise for sure.

I think Enrique just needs to play as much as often now, if he's staying. It's the only way he'll develop into a good PL player imo.

Think he had the highest number of shots pr. goal ration in the league last season. He isn't very good defensivley. He is on the downhill. He would demand high wages to leave the man he thinks of when he wanks him self to sleep every night (Stevie G).

Guest Novocastrian

Our current predicament should be a salutary lesson in buying players who are surplus to requirements at the top four clubs.

Butt, Smith, Geremi, Duff etc are all shadows of their former selves. We would do much better bringing in young talent who can offer us a long term return.

He's alright. Nowt special and certainly not what I'd call absolute quality. Would rather see an N'Zogbia / Enrique combo down the left than have him here though.

Nail on head.

Signing past-it players from bigger clubs has to stop. We need players who are using a transfer to Newcastle as a step up in their career, not a step down or one big last payday before they pack it in.

Guest toonlass

Is there anything else he offers than a shot from 25 yards?

Aye he can take a canny golf club to the head!

Riise? Why stop there?

C'mon Kev, make bids for Heskey, Kewell, Scholes and Tugay.

Now for the title!  :celb:

I'd take Scholes like.

Guest marky555

Riise is shit. Completely past it, has the odd half decent game but he's slow now and takes ridiculous shots all the time.