Keegan's Best Signing First Time Around?

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ronaldo was the best player in the world at his peak man HTT. Shearer was brilliant but he wasn't that good. I take your point about Shearer being the more complete 'all-round' striker but that's a bit like arguing Gullit was better than Maradona due to the former being a more all-round player. You'd have been mad not to take Ronaldo ahead of the others you mention back in 1996. In fact you'd be mad not to have taken him over anyone, including Zidane back then imo.

While Shearer is in the lead for this honour, it could also be argued that he was  our worst signing. We were a team heading for the stars, from the 2nd division to challenging for the title. Once our 'local hero' arrived it pretty much went downhill. In my lifetime, I've seen a few good local players, Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne. All three wee much better for Newcastle than Shearer ever was.

I guess it could be argued but the debate would end once the men in white coats arrived to take you away.  Also what is with the '' around local hero? It like your having a dig becasue he was from Newcastle.

I think you are mentally fatigued after your long board wars with NE5, take a week or 2 off & regroup your thoughts TRon.

I don't really want to take this into a different direction and turn it into a Shearer debate, I just don't rate Shearer types as highly as I rate Players with the ability to make things happen, which is why I mentioned Waddle, Beardsley and Gascoigne. I was gutted when all three of those left, whereas Shearer for me was at his peak just before he arrived at Newcastle. At Southampton and Blackburn before his injuries he seemed to have an explosiveness which wasn't there once he signed for us. He seemed far easier to mark in free play which limited our options a bit.

Guest float one in

While Shearer is in the lead for this honour, it could also be argued that he was  our worst signing. We were a team heading for the stars, from the 2nd division to challenging for the title. Once our 'local hero' arrived it pretty much went downhill. In my lifetime, I've seen a few good local players, Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne. All three wee much better for Newcastle than Shearer ever was.

I guess it could be argued but the debate would end once the men in white coats arrived to take you away.  Also what is with the '' around local hero? It like your having a dig becasue he was from Newcastle.

I think you are mentally fatigued after your long board wars with NE5, take a week or 2 off & regroup your thoughts TRon.

I don't really want to take this into a different direction and turn it into a Shearer debate, I just don't rate Shearer types as highly as I rate Players with the ability to make things happen, which is why I mentioned Waddle, Beardsley and Gascoigne. I was gutted when all three of those left, whereas Shearer for me was at his peak just before he arrived at Newcastle. At Southampton and Blackburn before his injuries he seemed to have an explosiveness which wasn't there once he signed for us. He seemed far easier to mark in free play which limited our options a bit.

Aye but Keegan would probably still have left even if we hadn't signed Shearer - as soon as we left we were no longer a team heading for the stars. So the question to ask is where would we have been under Dalglish, Gullit, Robson and Souness without Shearer's goals, leadership and all round excellent play? Championship?