Keegan's Best Signing First Time Around?

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bloody hell can't believe there is any discussion over this. It has to be Shearer by a country mile, achieved far more than any other Keegan signing and was instrumental for a decade.

I'm going to be pedantic and say not for an entire decade as he was pretty ineffective those last couple of seasons.  :razz:

I can't agree with that, even in his last couple of years where his ability was fading (which is a fair enough point I reckon), he was instrumental to the club, the fans and in the players we signed. I reckon we could have been deep in the mire well before now if he hadn't lasted so long.

Held us back at times due to his influence behind the scenes iyam. Especially when Kluivert/Bellamy was definitely the way forward at the time.

Was it?

Of the personnel we had at the time, Kluivert and Bellamy for me was the best option up front.

Guest jcricthon

Bloody hell can't believe there is any discussion over this. It has to be Shearer by a country mile, achieved far more than any other Keegan signing and was instrumental for a decade.

I'm going to be pedantic and say not for an entire decade as he was pretty ineffective those last couple of seasons.  :razz:

I can't agree with that, even in his last couple of years where his ability was fading (which is a fair enough point I reckon), he was instrumental to the club, the fans and in the players we signed. I reckon we could have been deep in the mire well before now if he hadn't lasted so long.

Held us back at times due to his influence behind the scenes iyam. Especially when Kluivert/Bellamy was definitely the way forward at the time.

Kluivert?! Shearer was more nimble than Kluivert even sitting on Doctor Richard Steadman's operating table.

And Shearer and Bellamy were immense together. I could reel many a game off where they were as unstoppable as the Shearer-Ferdinand pairing but the ones that stick out the most were against the mackams. Perfect combination if Shearer was a little younger and Bellamy was a bit more mature, tact, respectful and wise.

Sir Bobby sure knew his football like!

Shearer's legs had went by then, even compared to when he came back in 2001. Bellamy and Kluivert's partnership was starting to bare fruition and they were forming an understanding. Then Shearer came back from his injury and got put straight back in the team much to the detriment of the team.

I can't vote in this one as I first thought Rob Lee, he was probably the best for the money paid.  I could have also gone for all of the others on the list for one reason or another, I just hope we have a few more names this time next year.

Was it?

Of the personnel we had at the time, Kluivert and Bellamy for me was the best option up front.

Based on what though?

Shearer and Bellamy was a tried and tested partnership that we knew worked, I remember Kluivert and Bellamy had a decent game together against Crystal Palace (iirc) but that was it, Shearer was on his way down and we should have looked for a replacement but it shouldn't have been Kluivert.

Kluivert?! Shearer was more nimble than Kluivert even sitting on Doctor Richard Steadman's operating table.

Of course he was. Shearer was quick, nimble and skilful, whereas Kluivert was a tough, uncompromising typical English centre forward.

Guest float one in

I'll go for Pedro. Absolute priviledge to watch him play for us, as were Lee and Shearer, and KK has said loads of times that Kilcline was his most important signing, but the pure fantasy and joy of Pedro's play was unforgettable.

Having a bloke playing for us who was as good on the ball as absolutely anyone in Europe, who had a God given vision, beautiful balance and a touch to die for, allied to a work rate that had to be seen to be believed, and who just happened to be born and raised within shouting distance of all my family... well, it doesn't get much better than that for me.

Special mention for Venison and Bez - the sight of those two bombing up the wings, absolutely loving every minute of playing for the Toon, will live long in the old memory banks.

I'll go for Pedro. Absolute priviledge to watch him play for us, as were Lee and Shearer, and KK has said loads of times that Kilcline was his most important signing, but the pure fantasy and joy of Pedro's play was unforgettable.

Having a bloke playing for us who was as good on the ball as absolutely anyone in Europe, who had a God given vision, beautiful balance and a touch to die for, allied to a work rate that had to be seen to be believed, and who just happened to be born and raised within shouting distance of all my family... well, it doesn't get much better than that for me.

Special mention for Venison and Bez - the sight of those two bombing up the wings, absolutely loving every minute of playing for the Toon, will live long in the old memory banks.

This.

I'd absolutely kill for a player like Pedro in our team at this moment in time. Fantastic player, simple as.

Pound for pound, Andy Cole IMO. We had him at his peak, I don't believe that about Shearer. I think our football declined after Shearer arrived if I'm honest, although it wasn't down to him individually, just the balance of the team wasn't the same.

Was it?

Based on what though?

Shearer and Bellamy was a tried and tested partnership that we knew worked, I remember Kluivert and Bellamy had a decent game together against Crystal Palace (iirc) but that was it, Shearer was on his way down and we should have looked for a replacement but it shouldn't have been Kluivert.

Based on the fact Shearer's legs had gone. I said with the personnel we had, that's why I said Kluivert, not about buying other players.

What was great about KK first time around was that so many of his signings were excellent in terms of value for money and the performances they gave. And even the likes of Paul Kitson were sold for around what we paid for him. Agree with 2J over the Shearer v Kluivert thing too btw.

Was it?

Based on what though?

Based on the fact Shearer's legs had gone. I said with the personnel we had, that's why I said Kluivert, not about buying other players.

Shearer's legs hadn't gone, his short comings were just more noticable when he didn't have Bellamy next to him doing all of the donkey work.

Rob Lee was a fantastic signing no doubt, but to get a striker even in today's market at fifteen million quid and go on to score 206 goals is astonoshing. take those goals out of newcastle's last decade and we'd be a lot worse off.

Was it?

Based on what though?

Shearer's legs hadn't gone, his short comings were just more noticable when he didn't have Bellamy next to him doing all of the donkey work.

I think Kluivert/Bellamy would have worked well, but you cant say Shearer held us back, he didnt pick the team, and even if he managed to influence the manager then its down to the manager for being so weak for allowing it.

Les Ferdinand in my opinion. It was very important for us to replace Andy Cole with another 20-goal-a-season striker, and KK duly delivered. Imo it propelled us from a team punching above their weight at the time to becoming one of the heavy weights. The whole plan of course wasn't complete until Ginola was in place on the left wing, and with Gillespie on the right and Pedro just behind, Sir Les wasn't going to be anything but lethal.

GREAT question by the way, and very hard to answer.

I've love to say Shearer, but I keep coming up with reasons for all of the others. I'll have to have more of a think about it.

think its a hard to pick one, theres 2-3 players who have all been very importent, hopefully Keegan can pick up a few more.

Rob Lee.

Excellent choice Marc. There was a period when for me he was the best midfielder in the country, total box to box player. Very intelligent footballer as well.

I voted Lee too.

His testimonial was a shambles.