Keegan's Best Signing First Time Around?

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd probably go for Lee too, because you have the added factor of him being plucked from obscurity and converted from a wide man into a central midfielder. The others, apart from Cole, were already top players before they arrived. I don't have that much sympathy re: his testimonial though (he was gutted about that apparently), I don't really agree with them for the top professionals in this day and age and he'll still have made a load of money out of it.

He'll be happy with me then because I went to see it, Marcelino getting boo'd  :lol:, he actually looked like he could do a job in that game.

Laurent Robert made his debut like, which was the main reason I went from what I can remember.

It was all a bit naff. 17,500 or so attended, methinks.

I thought the attendance for Lee was around 23,000.

While Shearer is in the lead for this honour, it could also be argued that he was our worst signing. We were a team heading for the stars, from the 2nd division to challenging for the title. Once our 'local hero' arrived it pretty much went downhill. In my lifetime, I've seen a few good local players, Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne. All three wee much better for Newcastle than Shearer ever was.

Seriously?  ???

Guest BooBoo

While Shearer is in the lead for this honour, it could also be argued that he was our worst signing. We were a team heading for the stars, from the 2nd division to challenging for the title. Once our 'local hero' arrived it pretty much went downhill. In my lifetime, I've seen a few good local players, Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne. All three wee much better for Newcastle than Shearer ever was.

Seriously?  ???

Its complete twaddle. Gazza and Waddle only played for us for a fraction of the time Shearer did.

Seriously?  ???

Its complete twaddle. Gazza and Waddle only played for us for a fraction of the time Shearer did.

Gazza & Waddle were better footballers(Gazza ine of the most talented ever), but Shearer had no peer as an all-round striker and gave the club 10 years service.

Best value for money buy is between Lee and Kilcline - the former gave us 9 good years and was a great all-round midfielder, whilst the latter was the rock that stopped us giving away the goals that would have taken us down in 1992.

all those 3 have done great things at newcastle, but none of them are the one reason Newcastle is regarded as one of the top teams.

This one reason is only cause of Shearer.

Seriously?  ???

Guest BooBoo

David Kelly,if it wasn't for that goal who knows.

Keegan didn't sign Kelly did he?

Went for Pedro myself, run very close by Lee though. Without those two (and possibly Les) there would have been no Shearer

Ossie signed David Kelly.

Guest Knightrider

Alan Shearer

£15m ÷ 10 seasons = £1.5m per season

404 appearances

206 goals

Value for money? Shearer will earn NUFC money long after he is dead as his name and exploits for the Toon will always be worth something to the club and more significantly the fans.

Best signing this club ever made. Best player I've ever seen for us and best player I likely will ever see at SJP.

KK's best ever signing, period.

Alan Shearer

404 appearances

206 goals

Value for money? Shearer will earn NUFC money long after he is dead as his name and exploits for the Toon will always be worth something to the club and more significantly the fans.

Best signing this club ever made. Best player I've ever seen for us and best player I likely will ever see at SJP.

Pedro's the best player I've personally seen for us. It's all down to personal preference though at the end of the day.  :thup:

Guest Knightrider

Alan Shearer

404 appearances

206 goals

Pedro's the best player I've personally seen for us. It's all down to personal preference though at the end of the day.  :thup:

Beardsley is the best footballer I've seen for us as in technical ability, creativity, control and sublime skills etc., but all-round Shearer is the best ever as a whole package and I doubt we will see another like him for us. To buy another Shearer today you're looking at god knows what and we'd struggle to keep a great player for 5 years in today's climate never mind 10. He was a one off. The best.

Alan Shearer

404 appearances

206 goals

Beardsley is the best footballer I've seen for us as in technical ability, creativity, control and sublime skills etc., but all-round Shearer is the best ever as a whole package and I doubt we will see another like him for us. To buy another Shearer today you're looking at god knows what and we'd struggle to keep a great player for 5 years in today's climate never mind 10. He was a one off. The best.

I still feel robbed in a way man after Goodison '97. Who knows how many he would have actually scored.

Guest Knightrider

I don't feel robbed although I understand where you're coming from. The very fact Shearer successfully adapted his game and was still as effective and as successful at scoring goals and leading the line as he ever was, was arguably him at the height of his powers or ability. To adapt like he did took some fucking doing. No ordinary player can do that and even some of your top players have had it when major injuries have hit them. Maybe we really did see the best of Shearer in that sense. I like to think we did anyway. 10 years uninterrupted world-class centre-forward play by the master either way is how I remember him with or without injuries. He lost his pace and stayed more centrally after his injury but I believe that made him an even more potent centre-forward if anything and allowed him to be at the height of his powers for those 10 years rather than 5 or so as often happens to top top players before they eventually fizzle out or drop off dramatically ala Ronaldinho.

Guest Knightrider

That said, the Shearer of 96 was for my money the best striker in the world pound for pound and throughout his career I've always thought he was underrated in the game to a degree, then and after. I guess we all just took him for granted but he had it all. The biggest tragedy for Shearer is that he has never been at a team that was as good as he was or on the same level, at club and international level and that is why he never won any trophies except that one title or went onto pick up World and European player of the year awards despite being more than good enough and not fleetingly either, but right throughout his amazing career.

Guest Knightrider

Even at the age of 35, he was still better than half the strikers in the league and as deadly as any of the top strikers in front of goal. I honestly don't know how anyone could look beyond him in regards to KK's best ever signing. He ticks all the boxes in terms of impact, legend status, longevity, importance, achievements, standards, ability and value for money.

That said, the Shearer of 96 was for my money the best striker in the world pound for pound and throughout his career I've always thought he was underrated in the game to a degree, then and after. I guess we all just took him for granted but he had it all. The biggest tragedy for Shearer is that he has never been at a team that was as good as he was or on the same level, at club and international level and that is why he never won any trophies except that one title or went onto pick up World and European player of the year awards despite being more than good enough and not fleetingly either, but right throughout his amazing career.

Until Ronaldo moved to Barca just after we signed Shearer. ;)

Guest Knightrider

I disagree. Shearer was the better all-round striker still in my opinion. Ronaldo was your Beardsley to my Shearer if you like, the better footballer. But as a striker Shearer had no equal at that time as he could do everything and had the lot, even pace and the odd bit of flair.

I disagree. Shearer was the better all-round striker still in my opinion. Ronaldo was your Beardsley to my Shearer if you like, the better footballer. But as a striker Shearer had no equal at that time as he could do everything and had the lot, even pace and the odd bit of flair.

Gerraway man. Ronaldo was on a whole different level to anybody at that time. That's not a discredit to all of those around at the time like Shearer, Batistuta, Weah etc. Ronaldo at that time was simply that good.

So at that time would you have rather had Shearer in your team than Ronaldo?

Guest Knightrider

Gerraway man. Ronaldo was on a whole different level to anybody at that time. That's not a discredit to all of those around at the time like Shearer, Batistuta, Weah etc. Ronaldo at that time was simply that good.

Yes I would have had Shearer '96 over Ronaldo as Shearer was the better all-rounder in terms of centre-forward play in my opinion. Ronaldo had the speed, flair and amazing skills that Shearer never had but he didn't have Shearer's immense ability in the air, maturity, brains or fierce shooting power with either foot nor his unequaled ability to lead the line against any type of defence or marker. I don't think Ronaldo was on a whole different level either (he might have reached such levels had it not been for those injuries). I think you get carried away with your thoughts on the player to be honest. Yes he was a brilliant talent but an another planet to such strikers as Shearer, Batistuta, Weah, Romario and Kluivert in their pomp - all world-class strikers?  I think you discredit those strikers when you say things like that. What was it that set Ronaldo apart from the likes of Shearer btw, his nationality? I'd have taken all those players in their pomp with the exception of Weah ahead of Ronaldo too, as for my money they were all better all-rounders. Romario wasn't that type of striker but his finishing range, technique, movement and positioning was something else - probably the best I've ever seen in a player. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Ronaldo was less of a footballer as he was arguably the most talented striker of his generation but for me his all-round game wasn't the best considering his immense talent. Shearer scored lots of goals, from all ranges, using a vast array of techniques and at every level too. Had Sir Bobby signed Shearer for Barcelona and not Ronaldo, in that team, at that level, he'd be being mentioned in the same terms as the Barcelona Ronaldo by you and others. Anyway they were very different as players. Me, I prefer my centre-forwards Shearer-esque. Strikers that had it all and could do it all.

While Shearer is in the lead for this honour, it could also be argued that he was  our worst signing. We were a team heading for the stars, from the 2nd division to challenging for the title. Once our 'local hero' arrived it pretty much went downhill. In my lifetime, I've seen a few good local players, Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne. All three wee much better for Newcastle than Shearer ever was.

I guess it could be argued but the debate would end once the men in white coats arrived to take you away.  Also what is with the '' around local hero? It like your having a dig becasue he was from Newcastle.

I think you are mentally fatigued after your long board wars with NE5, take a week or 2 off & regroup your thoughts TRon.

Yes I would have had Shearer '96 over Ronaldo as Shearer was the better all-rounder in terms of centre-forward play in my opinion. Ronaldo had the speed, flair and amazing skills that Shearer never had but he didn't have Shearer's immense ability in the air, maturity, brains or fierce shooting power with either foot nor his unequaled ability to lead the line against any type of defence or marker. I don't think Ronaldo was on a whole different level either (he might have reached such levels had it not been for those injuries). I think you get carried away with your thoughts on the player to be honest. Yes he was a brilliant talent but an another planet to such strikers as Shearer, Batistuta, Weah, Romario and Kluivert in their pomp - all world-class strikers?  I think you discredit those strikers when you say things like that. What was it that set Ronaldo apart from the likes of Shearer btw, his nationality? I'd have taken all those players in their pomp with the exception of Weah ahead of Ronaldo too, as for my money they were all better all-rounders. Romario wasn't that type of striker but his finishing range, technique, movement and positioning was something else - probably the best I've ever seen in a player. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Ronaldo was less of a footballer as he was arguably the most talented striker of his generation but for me his all-round game wasn't the best considering his immense talent. Shearer scored lots of goals, from all ranges, using a vast array of techniques and at every level too. Had Sir Bobby signed Shearer for Barcelona and not Ronaldo, in that team, at that level, he'd be being mentioned in the same terms as the Barcelona Ronaldo by you and others. Anyway they were very different as players. Me, I prefer my centre-forwards Shearer-esque. Strikers that had it all and could do it all.

I really really don't know what more to say to that. I really can't take that post seriously, not because you disagree with me, but just your general viewpoint as a whole. I never mentioned Romario like you have btw because in '96 Romario was back playing in Brazil.

If you never think Ronaldo had Shearer's brains or maturity then you're clearly wrong. Aged 21 making a step up to one of the best leagues in the world from the Dutch league, then scoring 34  goals in 37 games. If that's not maturity then I don't know what is. I don't really recall Shearer ever scoring that many with his left-foot tbh, Ronaldo certainly had a better left-foot shot on him than Shearer. You're also underrating his ability at striking the ball from distance. Not as good as Shearer's, but then again for consistency in my life time I can only rate Batistuta as consistent as Shearer from shooting from distance.

Can't believe I'm arguing this like, everyone knows how class I think Shearer was, but to even argue that Ronaldo was better is preposterous.

I voted for Pedro. The man was evocative of the team KK created, he defined the beautiful football we played. I can't imagine ever loving a player as much as I loved Pedro, which means I can't really look elsewhere here. How I'd love that list to be extended in a few years time though.....

By the way, whilst Shearer was sublime, Ronaldo was better. It's got nothing to do with his nationality. He just was.