Keegan's Best Signing First Time Around?

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd probably go for Lee too, because you have the added factor of him being plucked from obscurity and converted from a wide man into a central midfielder. The others, apart from Cole, were already top players before they arrived. I don't have that much sympathy re: his testimonial though (he was gutted about that apparently), I don't really agree with them for the top professionals in this day and age and he'll still have made a load of money out of it.

Rob Lee has got to be the best signing only cost £700k,  an absolute bargain!!

Probably get shot down in flames but can't agreed Shearer as best signing,  don't get me wrong i love the bloke and he's up there as one of my all time favourite players but if Keegan had spent the £15m on say Southgate and another decent defender then we'd probably have won the league.  Shearer is a legend but at the time we bought him he wasn't what we needed.

I'd probably go for Lee too, because you have the added factor of him being plucked from obscurity and converted from a wide man into a central midfielder. The others, apart from Cole, were already top players before they arrived. I don't have that much sympathy re: his testimonial though (he was gutted about that apparently), I don't really agree with them for the top professionals in this day and age and he'll still have made a load of money out of it.

Aye, but they pulled out all the stops for Wor Al didn't they?  As much as they might not need them, that was a great night.

Aye, but they pulled out all the stops for Wor Al didn't they?  As much as they might not need them, that was a great night.

If more people had wanted to go to Lee's they'd have gone I suppose. Shearer was always more of a hero in the eyes of the fans for a number of reasons too. I didn't go like. Couldn't be arsed :lol:

Remind me of the story behind Lee's testimonial please. Was it at the end of a disappointing season so very few turned up?

It was pre-season wasn't it? Against Athletic Bilbao. It was after the 2nd consecutive 11th finish under SBR. I think there were a number of factors - the previous season not being great (we'd stood still and not had a cup run for the first time in a while), the opposition, the timing (people still being on their hols etc.).

Remind me of the story behind Lee's testimonial please. Was it at the end of a disappointing season so very few turned up?

It was pre-season wasn't it? Against Athletic Bilbao. It was after the 2nd consecutive 11th finish under SBR. I think there were a number of factors - the previous season not being great (we'd stood still and not had a cup run for the first time in a while), the opposition, the timing (people still being on their hols etc.).

Laurent Robert made his debut like, which was the main reason I went from what I can remember.

It was all a bit naff. 17,500 or so attended, methinks.

Guest MarkMag

The best 3 players keegan signed last time IMO are: Rob Lee, Shearer and Ferdinand .

However, I found it impossible not to vote for shearer. He's the best player I've seen play for Newcastle over the last 30 years I've been supporting the toon. How much do you reckon he would be worth now, if you think back to the time we got him?

I can see why people are saying Shearer, but we'd have never been near the force of being able to sign Shearer (no matter how much he loved the club) if players before him hadn't put in the groundwork to get us into a challenging spot. That's why I voted Pedro, with closest others being Lee, Cole and Kilcline.

How much would I give to have someone like Pedro now in the side.

Have to say Cole followed by Lee. Cole came from no-where, his goals helped us get up & his impact in the PL was devastating. Lee was a fantastic player for us but Cole was the man; he really did get the ball and score a goal.

Think of the reaction when Cole was sold - for me he was the best signing (but clearly not the best player signed).

Pre-season

Shit opposition.

£20 a ticket (£11 kids)  :yikes:

No Past legends/team mates

Marcelino booed

Well I voted Ginola, for one reason, he was the final piece in the Jigsaw that turned is from a very good team to genuine title contenders.

Although Shearer had much more of a sustained impact on the club, I don't think his signing moved us up a level as perhaps had been predicted when he came, we staginated and then dramitcally dropped, not his fault of course, just the way things turned out.

Pre-season

Shit opposition.

Marcelino booed

:nods:

I remember it had the feeling of just another normal pre-season game which was used as his testimonial. Like killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Only they bumped the ticket price up, which turned a lot of people off imo.  :undecided:

Bloody hell can't believe there is any discussion over this. It has to be Shearer by a country mile, achieved far more than any other Keegan signing and was instrumental for a decade.

did really achieve more here than Beardsley and Lee? they were a part of our best team in decades

Every discussion about good transfers immediately reminds me of when Arsenal signed Anelka for 500k back in 1997 and then sold him two years later for 22.3m (~56x times what they paid for him). Best signing ever?

Pre-season

Shit opposition.

Marcelino booed

My first visit to SJP

Can't decide who was the best signing, but it has to be one of Lee, Beardsley or Shearer.

Guest BooBoo

In terms of value for money hows about a big shout for Scott Sellars? And not just for that free kick v the tramps.

Guest BooBoo

The most embarrassing part was Rob Lee's half hearted lap of the centre circle. There wasnt enough people there to make a lap of the pitch worthwhile!

Guest Redcar Mag

Bobby Lee, no question.

I fancy KK to turn James Milner from the winger-without-pace to the midfield powerhouse this time around.

While Shearer is in the lead for this honour, it could also be argued that he was our worst signing. We were a team heading for the stars, from the 2nd division to challenging for the title. Once our 'local hero' arrived it pretty much went downhill. In my lifetime, I've seen a few good local players, Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne. All three wee much better for Newcastle than Shearer ever was.