Kev: Signings may not be stars

Baggio

I wonder how much KK will get to spend, as long as Ashley shows signs that he wants the club to move forward, something Shepherd NEVER showed.

rubbish

Sorry mate i was only winding you up :razz:

I wonder how much KK will get to spend, as long as Ashley shows signs that he wants the club to move forward, something Shepherd NEVER showed.

rubbish

Sorry mate i was only winding you up :razz:

you didn't

bluelaugh.gif

Spurs over the last 10-15 years have not been anywhere near us for the most part. Its only the last few years they have spent big money when they have moved back into the top positions. Which sort of proves my point.

I would prefer us to be like Liverpool. At the end of the day, if you compete in the bargain and 2nd rate market, you will end up with a 2nd rate team.

History - and not just ours - proves this to be absolutely correct.

You should not knock the club for trying to back their managers and complete with the other big clubs. The vast majority of clubs would give their teeth for such ambition, and you fail to understand that every club wants to sign the best young talent. I fear that Manu, Chelsea etc may have something to say about your theory and become a slight obstacle to your easy guide to automatic success.

Another fact is that if a top player becomes available, and someone like Everton or Man City offer him a better contract than us, he will sign for the other club.

Kids stuff this, sorry to say like.

I think its quite sad that people have so much hatred for the old board they are completely unable or unwilling to accept the things that they did correctly. And paying the money to get the players their managers wanted, was without question the right thing to do.

That's far too simplistic, we spent less under Bobby Robson (net) than any other manager since Keegan left and had our best times under him.

I'd love to see Bentley here. On the verge of signing a new contract with Blackburn though, and I still don't see why he'd particularly want to come.

well, I don't really think football has changed too much. Blackburn may be able to offer him more money than they used to be able to do because of sky etc, but from an ambition point of view, fans, and the type of area and football club, the likes of Newcastle beat them all ends up every time. Others do too unfortunately. Its a real coup for Hughes if he can persuade him to stay, but if I were Bentley I wouldn't stay at Blackburn.

I disagree.

Bentley is not going to leave Blackburn to make a sideways move.

What would be the point him leaving to join Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Man City? There's slightly more likelihood of him joining Spurs for the London lifestyle, but other than that, he's very unlikely to do anything other than bide his time and wait for a move to one of the big four (three in his case, discounting Arsenal for obvious reasons).

Theres little incentive in moving from one also-ran to another when the ultimate ambition is to be at one of the big boys.

As you said, Sky money has distorted the situation, and although waving a huge wad of cash at players still does work from time to time, it isn't anywhere near as persuasive as it used to be. Neither is the 'footballing city' thing. Players these days care about one thing - themselves, unfortunately.

Spurs over the last 10-15 years have not been anywhere near us for the most part. Its only the last few years they have spent big money when they have moved back into the top positions. Which sort of proves my point.

I would prefer us to be like Liverpool. At the end of the day, if you compete in the bargain and 2nd rate market, you will end up with a 2nd rate team.

You should not knock the club for trying to back their managers and complete with the other big clubs. The vast majority of clubs would give their teeth for such ambition, and you fail to understand that every club wants to sign the best young talent. I fear that Manu, Chelsea etc may have something to say about your theory and become a slight obstacle to your easy guide to automatic success.

Another fact is that if a top player becomes available, and someone like Everton or Man City offer him a better contract than us, he will sign for the other club.

I think its quite sad that people have so much hatred for the old board they are completely unable or unwilling to accept the things that they did correctly. And paying the money to get the players their managers wanted, was without question the right thing to do.

That's far too simplistic, we spent less under Bobby Robson (net) than any other manager since Keegan left and had our best times under him.

If you are infatuated with "net" spending, thats your problem.

I think Newcastle United should be acting bigger than shite little clubs like Blackburn. If you disagree, welcome back to the 1970's and 1980's.

I think Newcastle United should be acting bigger than shite little clubs like Blackburn.

How incredibly arrogant. And to think you go on about having no divine right to win things. :lol:

If you are infatuated with "net" spending, thats your problem.

I think Newcastle United should be acting bigger than shite little clubs like Blackburn. If you disagree, welcome back to the 1970's and 1980's.

You were the one complaining about net spend in the Summer tbf.

I'd love to see Bentley here. On the verge of signing a new contract with Blackburn though, and I still don't see why he'd particularly want to come.

well, I don't really think football has changed too much. Blackburn may be able to offer him more money than they used to be able to do because of sky etc, but from an ambition point of view, fans, and the type of area and football club, the likes of Newcastle beat them all ends up every time. Others do too unfortunately. Its a real coup for Hughes if he can persuade him to stay, but if I were Bentley I wouldn't stay at Blackburn.

I disagree.

What would be the point him leaving to join Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Man City? There's slightly more likelihood of him joining Spurs for the London lifestyle, but other than that, he's very unlikely to do anything other than bide his time and wait for a move to one of the big four (three in his case, discounting Arsenal for obvious reasons).

Theres little incentive in moving from one also-ran to another when the ultimate ambition is to be at one of the big boys.

As you said, Sky money has distorted the situation, and although waving a huge wad of cash at players still does work from time to time, it isn't anywhere near as persuasive as it used to be. Neither is the 'footballing city' thing. Players these days care about one thing - themselves, unfortunately.

I don't consider moving from Blackburn to Newcastle to be a "sideways" move, in the grand scheme of things. Aston Villa maybe.

In the longer term, Blackburn may be above Newcastle at the moment, but not too many people will think that situation will continue for very long. Or that being a Blackburn player is preferable to being a Newcastle player in the long term either.

I think Newcastle United should be acting bigger than shite little clubs like Blackburn.

How incredibly arrogant. And to think you go on about having no divine right to win things. :lol:

We don;'t have a right to win anything, but the day we fail to recognise that we have a huge fanbase bigger than most is the day we are back to the days pre-Halls and Shepherd. You may not like that Dave, but its true.

We don;'t have a right to win anything, but the day we fail to recognise that we have a huge fanbase bigger than most is the day we are back to the days pre-Halls and Shepherd. You may not like that Dave, but its true.

What difference does having a large stadium and passionate fanbase make these days?

I disagree.

I don't consider moving from Blackburn to Newcastle to be a "sideways" move, in the grand scheme of things. Aston Villa maybe.

In the longer term, Blackburn may be above Newcastle at the moment, but not too many people will think that situation will continue for very long. Or that being a Blackburn player is preferable to being a Newcastle player in the long term either.

I think you've become a little detached from reality if you don't think a move from Blackburn to Newcastle is a sideways move.

And as for the comment about "shite little clubs like Blackburn", that'd be Blackburn who've won the league even in the miniscule timeframe of the average Sky football fan?

I've got a lot of time for you in much of what you post, but that is condescending bullshit of the type which gives Newcastle fans a bad name.

I disagree.

I think you've become a little detached from reality if you don't think a move from Blackburn to Newcastle is a sideways move.

And as for the comment about "shite little clubs like Blackburn", that'd be Blackburn who've won the league even in the miniscule timeframe of the average Sky football fan?

I've got a lot of time for you in much of what you post, but that is condescending bullshit of the type which gives Newcastle fans a bad name.

Wimbledon are bigger than Liverpool because they beat them in the 1988 Cup final ?

Notts Forest are bigger than Barcelona because they won the European Cup in 1979 and 1980 ?

Bollocks

Don't make me laugh.

Even the biggest diehard Blackburn fan [all 8,000 of them] would concede they aren't as big a club as clubs like Newcastle, and just to prove I'm not being deliberately patronising, Sunderland too. Who are also a bigger club than Aston Villa who can't even fill a 44000 stadium.

Edit. One point worth considering brummie is, how did Blackburn win the league ?

Answer : Because they bought top players and yes, punched above their weight. And THATS not patronising at all, just noting that they won the league because they spent money, big money, and spent it well. Nowt to do with being a "big club" or having "big support". They won that league because they spent huge brass.

I disagree.

And as for the comment about "s**** little clubs like Blackburn", that'd be Blackburn who've won the league even in the miniscule timeframe of the average Sky football fan?

depends what is happening around the time, for example if NUFC have spent £50mill on quality players then bentley coming here would be a step up......however if bentley were our only signing (nice as it would be) it wopuld be a sideward-if not downward step for him

What difference does having a large stadium and passionate fanbase make these days?

Are you serious Dave ?

I disagree.

Wimbledon are bigger than Liverpool because they beat them in the 1988 Cup final ?

Notts Forest are bigger than Barcelona because they won the European Cup in 1979 and 1980 ?

Bollocks

Don't make me laugh.

Even the biggest diehard Blackburn fan [all 8,000 of them] would concede they aren't as big a club as clubs like Newcastle, and just to prove I'm not being deliberately patronising, Sunderland too. Who are also a bigger club than Aston Villa who can't even fill a 44000 stadium.

I didnt say Blackburn were as big a club as Newcastle. I said it was a sideways move. That's a totally different thing. You're putting words in my mouth and countering an argument I didn't actually make.

We can't fill a 44,000 stadium mainly because we don't have a 44,000 stadium, it is a 42,640 stadium and it was full yesterday.

However, since you're resorting to pettiness, I've supported Villa since I was 6. 1973. Since then:

1 European Cup

1 League Championship

1 European Super Cup

4 League Cups.

and I'm still prepared to admit Blackburn to Villa is a sideways move these days.

Still, you've got your big crowds and your sneering at other clubs to clutch on to.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

I disagree.

And as for the comment about "s**** little clubs like Blackburn", that'd be Blackburn who've won the league even in the miniscule timeframe of the average Sky football fan?

depends what is happening around the time, for example if NUFC have spent £50mill on quality players then bentley coming here would be a step up......however if bentley were our only signing (nice as it would be) it wopuld be a sideward-if not downward step for him

Exactly.

Ifs and buts matter not a jot to footballers. As things stand right now, it would be a sideways move.

Are you serious Dave ?

Spell it out for me. Because last time I checked, nearly every club in the Premier League (and even some not) has an ultra-rich benefactor, and Chelsea who've won an absolute shitload in recent years still can't sell out their ground.

i prefer keegan go to serie A or France or Germany to look quality player with not much price... and he take youngster from the academy to have some British player on squad... British players over priced even just on medium quality

I disagree.

Bollocks

Don't make me laugh.

I didnt say Blackburn were as big a club as Newcastle. I said it was a sideways move. That's a totally different thing. You're putting words in my mouth and countering an argument I didn't actually make.

We can't fill a 44,000 stadium mainly because we don't have a 44,000 stadium, it is a 42,640 stadium and it was full yesterday.

However, since you're resorting to pettiness, I've supported Villa since I was 6. 1973. Since then:

1 European Cup

1 League Championship

1 European Super Cup

4 League Cups.

and I'm still prepared to admit Blackburn to Villa is a sideways move these days.

Still, you've got your big crowds and your sneering at other clubs to clutch on to.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

I edited the post and made a further point.

You missed where I have said that in football terms in the long run, Newcastle is a step up from Blackburn, not current league positions.

Players want to play for big clubs. If you were a footballer, who would YOU play for, Newcastle or Blackburn ?

It's up to Newcastle to capitalise on the fanbase, and its up to the club to go to players like him and show him that we want him to play for us and we are a progressive club with far more potential than his current club and we have the intention of making our advantages count as soon as possilble and we see him as being an important player to help us to  do this.

Are you serious Dave ?

Spell it out for me. Because last time I checked, nearly every club in the Premier League (and even some not) has an ultra-rich benefactor, and Chelsea who've won an absolute shitload in recent years still can't sell out their ground.

Why do manure have the biggest spending power and are recognised as being the top club in the country,  and have been for decades ?

Football has changed, it has been distorted by lots of things, by the Sky era fans who take in one match a season, by the people who can afford to buy a season ticket and actually turn up to 5 or 6 matches a season, by the traditional young, working class supporter being priced out, by money bringing a short cut to success.

Chelsea are in the top four now, but with their money, it could quite easily be QPR in five years.

That's not to say it is right or good that football is going this way, but to pretend otherwise is to bury your head in the sand.

If I was a footballer (forgetting the club I support for a moment), based on what I'm seeing at the moment and not the money I could make, I'd go for Blackburn.

They are a decent team built by a decent manager with not much money and have a bright future.