The Most Important Figure In The History Of The Club?

Tooj

Haven't seen it mentioned so i'll throw it in, for fun, in spite of my general ignorance... Joe Harvey? I know he captained us to atleast one of them fifties FA Cup wins, got us our last trophy, too. Probably not the most influential, but of the time, he was probably up there you would have thought?

Keegan has been the instrumental figure in Newcastle's fortunes since 1982, by a mile

Thought id quote this cos maybe the only time i'll agree with NE5 , spot on and unarguable imo

you should try it more often, as I'm usually right.

Don't let this fact cloud your opinions though !!!!!

;D

Keegan has been the instrumental figure in Newcastle's fortunes since 1982, by a mile

Thought id quote this cos maybe the only time i'll agree with NE5 , spot on and unarguable imo

you should try it more often, as I'm usually right.

Don't let this fact cloud your opinions though !!!!!

;D

i'll bet even f*** the press doesn't think you're "usually right"

Guest walkerboy

Joe Harvey definatley should be in there- 1962-1975- games played 591- won 224-lost52!! drawn 215

Harvey re-joined the club after they had suffered relegation from the First Division, (now known as the Premier League) in 1961. He led the club back to the top flight winning the Second Division in 1965. With players such as Wyn Davies, Bobby Moncur and Terry Hibbitt, Newcastle once again became a major force in English football. After qualifying for European competition - the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, Harvey led the side to success in the competition in 1969. This was, to this day, the last major trophy the club has won. Harvey also brought one of the clubs greatest ever players to Tyneside when he signed Malcolm Macdonald in 1971. With 'Super Mac' at the club Harvey led the side to the 1974 FA Cup Final against Liverpool, but was unable to win the domestic trophy he desperately wanted - losing the match 3-0. At the end of the 1974-75 season Harvey was forced to resign after mounting pressure from supporters, frustrated that the side had failed to reach the very top. Those same supporters were ironically calling for his return years later as result got worse. Despite his harsh treatment towards the end, Harvey took an active interest in the club to his last day.

Harvey died suddenly of a heart attack in February, 1989. He was 70 years old with much of those years being devoted to football

Andy Aitken should get a mention - main man of the team that won 3 titles and nearly won the double twice.

Keegan for me, but if you're going back that far, then Colin Veitch was arguably more important than Aitken.

"Veitch captained the successful United side which won League Championships in 1905, 1907 and 1909, the FA Cup in 1910 and were FA Cup finalists in 1905, 1906, 1908 and 1911, and also represented England on six occasions."