Owen - Time for him to shine?

Decky

I think HP is saying Owen is one of the best finishers in the world. Yes he is and will be even when he's 33/34. That thing Owen has is the last thing you lose.

Owen one of the best finishers in the world? :lol:

agree he doesn't seem it but goals per game in top divisions over a decade i'd reckon he'd be up there.

I think HP is saying Owen is one of the best finishers in the world. Yes he is and will be even when he's 33/34. That thing Owen has is the last thing you lose.

He is statistically: 0.49 goals per game. There is only about a dozen players in Europe better than that.

Strange you find that funny.

agree he doesn't seem it but goals per game in top divisions over a decade i'd reckon he'd be up there.

Was would be a more appropriate term, and I'd agree with it over his career, but he's certainly not that at this moment of time. He's missed a boatload of simple chances recently, and without the blistering pace that got him the easy goals earlier on in his career, he's not the lethal striker that we spent £17m on. He's still a good player, make no mistake, but justifying £17m and 100k/week? One of the best finishers in the world? Come on, no one seriously believes that.

He is statistically: 0.49 goals per game. There is only about a dozen players in Europe better than that.

He was, Parky. Not is.

Was would be a more appropriate term, and I'd agree with it over his career, but he's certainly not that at this moment of time. He's missed a boatload of simple chances recently, and without the blistering pace that got him the easy goals earlier on in his career, he's not the lethal striker that we spent £17m on. He's still a good player, make no mistake, but justifying £17m and 100k/week? One of the best finishers in the world? Come on, no one seriously believes that.

coming back from how long out, a player who everyone said needed six weeks after 2 month out to get firing. now he's getting back,THIS is the player we bought. be worried if he's not getting in the right place for the chances. watch and he'll get sharper and the finishing will get better.

He was, Parky. Not is.

won't be far off for NUFC.

Sorry but if anyone thinks Owen is one of the best finishers in the World then I suggest they watch more football rather than looking at his goals to games ratio.

Owen misses too many chances to be classed as one of the World's best finishers.

coming back from how long out, a player who everyone said needed six weeks after 2 month out to get firing. now he's getting back,THIS is the player we bought. be worried if he's not getting in the right place for the chances. watch and he'll get sharper and the finishing will get better.

This is the player we broke our transfer record for? Really? This is the player we're paying £100k/week? The same type of money that players like Fabregas, Gerrard, Drogba and Ronaldo earns? Really?

For what it's worth, I think Martins is more important than he is in the formation that we're currently playing so I don't know what that says about Owen and his ability to justify the ridiculous wage he's being paid.

Looks more like the Owen we bought, 3 in 3 for him and you can see the smile back on his face and his confidence building I was all for selling him but now in his new role he looks like a world class player again..

Guest rebel_yell12

He was, Parky. Not is.

won't be far off for NUFC.

He missed one today, and finished the other one superbly.  That's a 1:2 ratio, the same as he's had all his career barring a few purple patches.  Not sure why everyone is insisting on the past tense here.  And after I just got done posting on another thread that I hadn't seen much rampant "Owen-hate" in the last few weeks...disappointing.  5 goals in his last 8 matches is nothing to sneer at, especially for a club that's scored 10 goals total in those 8 matches.  Is he perfect?  No.  But he's definitely top-class.  England's best, certainly.  

And Baggio, why not judge him on his goals to games ratio?  It's not as if Newcastle have been handing him a dozen chances per match.  Let's be honest, Newcastle haven't exactly handed him a dozen chances per match in the last 8 matches (though this is improving).  

Apisith -- why is Martins more integral?  Owen has scored more, and his play in the midfield has been very important.  I'm not saying Martins hasn't been important (Smith certainly wouldn't stretch the defences or provide the threat Martins does) but I don't understand why it has to be "more important"?  Do you think Martins could have taken the role Owen has?  I don't.  Nor could Viduka.  You clearly don't like or rate Michael Owen, but the lad has played very well of late in a mostly new position.  Could you stop slagging him off long enough to give him at least a little credit? 

Guest WalkervilleMag

Owen has always been a great goalscorer,  Problem here, has has had no service at all for large parts of games.  Get wingers out wide and put crosses into the box and he will score. He is probably the best attacking header of the ball at the club. 

Viduka is a good foil for him

Sorry but if anyone thinks Owen is one of the best finishers in the World then I suggest they watch more football rather than looking at his goals to games ratio.

Owen misses too many chances to be classed as one of the World's best finishers.

It's not an opinion mate it's a fact. He is and there are few even now with better. They have dropped a bit since the injuries but that is to be expected.  I didn't say world I said Europe btw.

All good finishers miss chances, the point is that they instinctively are in the right place to miss.

And Baggio, why not judge him on his goals to games ratio?  It's not as if Newcastle have been handing him a dozen chances per match.  Let's be honest, Newcastle haven't exactly handed him a dozen chances per match in the last 8 matches (though this is improving).  

Because you judge a great goalscorer on how many goals they score, you judge a finisher on how clinical they are in front of goal and Owen has never been a clinical finisher, he's a striker with great movement and a good footballing brain which often finds him space to get chances but he misses far more than he scores.

I don't like or rate Owen? :lol:

So is that why I've been a staunch supporter over the past 3 years? Yes, it's cos I hate him. I even wrote an article on the front page called 'The defence of Michael Owen' because I hate him that much.

Martins is more integral because we have no pace in the team without him. Without him, there is no space between the front 3 and the midfield for Owen to exploit. Without him, we end up playing and looking like the shit team that we were before the Birmingham game. Is it a coincidence that our team suddenly looked more dynamic the minute Martins was played up front? You decide. I'm not dismissing the change in formation but how helpful is it for Butt, Barton and Geremi that there is some actual movement up front, as opposed to the static shit we saw before that (when Martins wasn't playing)?

I don't hate Owen. In fact, I rate him but he's obviously a shadow of his former self. He's not the player we spent £17m on. He's not worth £100k/week. He's not going to suddenly develop into a world-class #10 at 28 years old so all this over-the-top adulation ('one of the best finishers in the world') bothers me.

Why can't I have a 'moderate' view on him and not be classified as either a hater or a lover?

He's finally started to contribute to the cause after 3 years of pretty much fuck all contribution, and I like the fact that he's willing to change his game for the benefit of the team. I'm pleased that he's scoring again and obviously he's excelling in the new formation. He's a useful player to have on the pitch because of his experience and ability to keep possession, and will probably prove to be useful off the pitch as well. That's it. Is that alright with you? Enough love shown for Mickey? :)

Because you judge a great goalscorer on how many goals they score, you judge a finisher on how clinical they are in front of goal and Owen has never been a clinical finisher, he's a striker with great movement and a good footballing brain which often finds him space to get chances but he misses far more than he scores.

If you're looking for players who miss loads of chances you don't need to look much futher than Rooney, Tevez, Torres, it must run into a 100 between them this season. Torres can miss 5 chances a game more often than not.

It's not an opinion mate it's a fact. He is and there are few even now with better. They have dropped a bit since the injuries but that is to be expected.  I didn't say world I said Europe btw.

All good finishers miss chances, the point is that they instinctively are in the right place to miss.

Being in the right place has nothing to do with how good a finisher you are, that's down to having a footballing brain and good movement.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is one of the best finishers I've seen, he wasn't as good a goalscorer as Owen because he didn't get the chances (lack of brain/movement) but you fancied him to put it in the back of the net whenever he was within 18 yards of goal, you don't get that with Owen.

If you're looking for players who miss loads of chances you don't need to look much futher than Rooney, Tevez, Torres, it must run into a 100 between them this season. Torres can miss 5 chances a game more often than not.

And what?

I haven't claimed they're great finishers.

Guest The Libertine

we're now creating chances, he's now scoring. if we keep creating chances, he will keep scoring. i'd rather back owen in a 1-on-1 than nearly all the other strikers in the league.

its a shame he wont be appreciated till he's gone.

And Baggio, why not judge him on his goals to games ratio? It's not as if Newcastle have been handing him a dozen chances per match. Let's be honest, Newcastle haven't exactly handed him a dozen chances per match in the last 8 matches (though this is improving).

So? There's a distinction between a great striker and a great finisher. You can be a great finisher without being a great striker.

The 'finisher' is becoming a rare breed. I'd say Henry is a great finisher, as is van Nistelrooy, and of course Shearer. Owen's not at that level of finishing now even though he's showing himself to be a better all-round striker than many (including me) thought.

Edit: I take too long to type. Just read Baggio's post above.

we're now creating chances, he's now scoring. if we keep creating chances, he will keep scoring. i'd rather back owen in a 1-on-1 than nearly all the other strikers in the league.

its a shame he wont be appreciated till he's gone.

QFT.