4-3-3 long term ?

madras

Guest ObaStar

The thing is if we switch to 4-4-2 we need to replace a lot more players.

if n'zogbia leaves we need a new left winger.

We will need at least 2 cms (a DM and a AM)

A right winger depending on how good KK thinks milner is.

Then you have to worry about whether martins and owen can play together 2 up front. They are both small and in a system with wingers this could be bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon a quite interesting picture on the telegraph's website..

We really were headless chickens earlier

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/2008/05/04/sfntac104.gif

I can't remember but I take it Carr was playing in the game on the left?

saw that last night. Viduka seems to be the only one not doing his job position-wise. should be slightly to the other side of Owen imo to give us extra width and fluidity. atm it's owen who is having to make runs out wide right which is taking him out of his 'danger zone' (sounds slightly american, that). anyway it shows how well keegan has instilled tactics, positioning and awareness into the lads. quite a suprise for one so tactically inept, as is the innovative new formation that all in the press are now fawning over.

Having criticised Kevin Keegan and Michael Owen several weeks ago, I should now recognise the way in which they have transformed their performances over recent weeks.

# In pics: Latest Premier League action

# Newcastle United homepage | Chelsea homepage

# Football fans' forum

Since Keegan decided to ditch Alan Smith and Michael Owen as an attacking partnership and replace them with Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka up front, with Owen in a withdrawn position, Newcastle's fortunes have changed.

Now Newcastle can derail Grant

High spirits: fortunes have changes under Kevin Keegan

Whether Keegan and his coaching staff stumbled upon the formation by luck or brilliant tactical foresight, only they will know. However it was conceived, it has changed a team that looked in danger of relegation to one who Chelsea will fear tomorrow.

How Owen has taken to his new position has surprised me. Having looked short on pace, fitness and technical ability as a front player, he now looks energetic, enthusiastic and tactically aware. His understanding of space, timing of runs and ability to link up play has increased beyond measure.

Many would argue that his performances were always going to improve once he had games under his belt, but the biggest difference seems to be in his renewed enjoyment of playing football. Whereas he rarely seemed happy, we are now seeing him at ease with his game once again.

The contribution of Martins and Viduka should not be underestimated either. They have made the system work to perfection both with their understanding of the roles and willingness to complement each other. Owen would not be able to join attacks so freely if Viduka failed to hold the ball up or win his fair share of headers. Nor would he find space in the box if Martins stopped moving out wide to retrieve hopeful passes.

advertisement

How important each player is to the combination will only be clear when any is injured.

How will Chelsea negate the threat of Owen?

While Owen is in his withdrawn position he is little threat to Chelsea because their holding midfield player, be it John Obi Mikel or Claude Makelele, will mark him.

The problem arises when the holding player is required to cover other areas of the pitch and Owen darts into the box unattended or when he rotates positions with Viduka in an attempt to unbalance their shape.

Chelsea will not man-mark Owen but try to ensure that there is continual communication between the back players and the holding midfielder to pick him up as he moves into different areas. The centre-halves will not be moved too far out of position by Martins and Viduka, passing them on to full-backs should they drift wide.

Above all, Chelsea's defenders will need to show great concentration, an awareness of danger and an eagerness to recover their shape whenever they lose possession, all attributes they have shown in abundance over the last four years.

How can Chelsea expose Newcastle's formation?

Newcastle's formation of a back four, three tight midfielders and Owen behind Martins and Viduka means they have little width. Therefore when Chelsea get possession it is crucial their full-backs release themselves from defensive duties to give as much width as possible.

Graphic showing Newcastle players positions

The further up the pitch they can get the more threatening it becomes to Newcastle. If they stay deep, Martins and Viduka can jog across on an angle to stop their progression and if slightly higher, Joey Barton and Geremi, Newcastle's two outside central midfielders, can drift across to delay attacks. However, if they can create two v one situations with their wide players, they will deliver cross after cross for Didier Drogba, Michael Ballack and Frank Lampard.

Chelsea will control the game if they can quickly switch the point of attack from one side of the pitch to the other, because Keegan's team are set up to lock teams down one side. How well Avram Grant's wide men play will also determine the outcome as Newcastle's full-backs have no protection. Joe Cole and Salomon Kalou will need to have good games.

The game should be a great contest between two different formations. Newcastle have looked far more potent with their three-pronged attack but as yet it hasn't been tested against a team with the defensive cohesion of Chelsea.

Guest rebel_yell12

Didn't Keegan say the right side in the midfield was the problem at the opening v. West Ham as well?  I seem to remember him saying that there was a flood down the right before he had the lads change formation to a 4-4-2 (with Michael Owen playing at right mid  :kasper:).  I wonder if he won't change the formation v. Chelsea or other strong teams in the future (ie next season) by putting on a proper winger if/when needed -- now that Milner is back, especially, it gives Newcastle more midfield options.  Unfortunately, I can only see that resulting from taking off one of the forwards -- probably Viduka or maybe Martins.

Maybe I'm being stupid, but isn't that Man Utd's players (well, numbers) on the left?

1. Van der Sar

5. Rio

15. Vidic

3. Evra

22. O'Shea?

8. Anderson?

16. Carrick

7. Ronaldo

11. Giggs

10. Rooney

32. Tevez

Ferguson out tbh

Maybe I'm being stupid, but isn't that Man Utd's players (well, numbers) on the left?

1. Van der Sar

5. Rio

15. Vidic

3. Evra

22. O'Shea?

8. Anderson?

16. Carrick

7. Ronaldo

11. Giggs

10. Rooney

32. Tevez

Ferguson out tbh

Must be, would be Emre at centre back otherwise  :doh:

1. Van der Sar

5. Rio

15. Vidic

3. Evra

22. O'Shea?

8. Anderson?

16. Carrick

7. Ronaldo

11. Giggs

10. Rooney

32. Tevez

Ferguson out tbh

Must be, would be Emre at centre back otherwise  :doh:

And dyer was long gone

Guest shearer_united

I wonder if Keegan has been using 4-3-3 as it gets the best out of what we have and had different plans for next season...but maybe his head is being turned a little ?

D'you reckon he sees 4-3-3 as the long term (ie next season) plan ?

I personally dont mind  a 4-3-3 formation for the longterm. Though i would like to see the midfield increase its strength, passing and a good playmaker.