Abdoulaye Faye

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Really difficult to say to be honest, part of me thinks  dont change a winning formula, the other part of me actually thinks he;d bean excellent option in DM. However at 30 years of age id rather it be a postion whihc is ocupied by a more youthful player. At CD id be more comfortable with having him as a mture leader there. Could easily go on there for another 3-4 years like Campbell, cant really sa the same for DM.

From what I have seen hes a better dm,hes cost us a few goals recently in defence!Hes def not top class but irc he can do a decent job for us still

What, one?

McFaddens one and gave Bent far too much room for his goal.In fairness if Taylor was marking him for Bents goal he would be getting slated on here!I still think he will be decent in defence,but just better in midfield.

There's no way he "cost" us Bent's goal. Great cross, even better header. Not every goal can have blame attached to it or mean the defenders conceding it somehow aren't good enough. Woodgate had a worse game yesterday than Faye's ever had for us. Not like people on here to knee jerk.

Guest FlapjackJoe

Really difficult to say to be honest, part of me thinks  dont change a winning formula, the other part of me actually thinks he;d bean excellent option in DM. However at 30 years of age id rather it be a postion whihc is ocupied by a more youthful player. At CD id be more comfortable with having him as a mture leader there. Could easily go on there for another 3-4 years like Campbell, cant really sa the same for DM.

Ermmmm, Nicky Butt is 33 and he's been absolutely outstanding the last few games as a defensive midfielder.

Guest FlapjackJoe

Ermmmm, Nicky Butt is 33 and he's been absolutely outstanding the last few games as a defensive midfielder.

Woo-hoo, I've almost reached 100 posts!  3 years on the forum, and I can almost start my own threads!    :-)

There's no way he "cost" us Bent's goal. Great cross, even better header. Not every goal can have blame attached to it or mean the defenders conceding it somehow aren't good enough. Woodgate had a worse game yesterday than Faye's ever had for us. Not like people on here to knee jerk.

McFadden gave Faye serious problems when he toke him on.I think Fayes a decent defender but from what I have seen he can get turned pretty easily when hes being taking on.Im not saying hes a bad defender,I just prefer to see him in midfield where I think hes being more impressive!Woodgate was way worse than Fayes ever played is true,thank God!

Whats your point? That just because a couple of players over 30 have good games im wrong to want to have a more youthful mobile DM?

1st time he played well all season, can't see it continuing for long, possibly for the rest of the season, after that?

Sorry like, new DMC time, while Butt covers for the last year of his contract.

Faye is fast becoming our most over-rated player.  He's a big strong centre half which has his benefits, but he struggles against faster, more agile forwards.

He had a hard time against Mcfadden it's true. I wouldn't write it in stone on the evidence of one game though.

His positioning is suspect as a centreback. Produces some great recovery and late tackles, but its far from ideal to have opposition attackers constantly getting to the ball first, and for that I would have him in midfield next season providing we can sign a good enough centreback.

Guest float one in

I can only remember him playing midfield against Chelsea, thought he put in an excellent shift that day.

Aye, true. He did a good job for us that day, breaking up Chelsea's midfield, but I'd like someone with more class on the ball and more mobile around the midfield than him. I don't think Faye in the middle would be a step up from Butt. If Butt does need replacing next season I'd like to see us going for a younger player (mid-20s) who's going to be the rock of our team for a few seasons - obviously Mascerano is way out of the question, but someone in that mould would be great. I don't follow any of the foreign leagues these days so don't know who's available, but I've mentioned Meireles from Porto before.