Bentley - On the Move In The Summer?

NG32

There's really no point thinking of sharing a city with Liverpool or Man United as anything like sharing a city with "another premier league club" - both clubs are beloved of jester hat toting Scandos, Irish coach parties and perma grinning Koreans, and always will be. They've transcended mere bitchslapfests as local rivalries (with the exception of 2 games a season).

Everton are a massive club, they're one of the corner stones of the English game. To suggest they're limited because of the Johny Come Latelies over the park seems to me to be missing the point.

They've got the traditional fanbase, they've got the history, they've got the "name", and they're quite obviously moving in the right direction. I can also think of several of their players I'd swap for the equivalents in our time in a heartbeat.

The fact that Liverpool are filling their ground (well, most weeks, anyway) with out-of-towners doesn't mean Everton don't have their share of the support in the city. Not at all.

Not sure i agree with all of that, my point was that Everton are handicapped as a club by having Livepool in the same city. i think its a bit of an unrealisitc view to suggest that the tradition of the clubs has much standing in todays game, unfortunately it is an aspect of the game which seems to be phased out in order to make more room for the souless business side of the game.

I like Everton as a club, i think Moyes has done a fantastic job and maybe doesnt get half the credit he deserves (credit which seems to be reseverd for the english Sam Allrdyce) but i genuinely believe that having a good history, having a good standing at present and having a good tradition count for very little in toays more moey driven game. And especially so when you have a massive world reknonwed club on your doorstep.

Its David versus Goliath without the rock.

So what do you think about Atletico Madrid? They attract big name players every year and have pretty much an identical honours list to Everton and the biggest club in the world on their doorstep. The difference being money. You just said yourself that today's game is money driven, Atletico have lots of it and we don't.

It's also worth considering that back in the 70's when Liverpool were far, far stronger than they are now and were winning everything in sight it was no handicap to us in the long run, we came through it stronger and won major trophies ourselves in the 80's.

Back then we had the finances to compete at the very top end of the market and go after all the top players but now we're operating a step below that. If/when things change in the boardroom then that will be reflected on the pitch. We'll be able to genuinely compete at that point but until then, we're hoping one of the rich clubs will slip up and our manager will be able to capitalise on it. Same as Villa/City/Spurs/Newcastle.

What about Athletico Madrid? There are alot of incomparable differences there that you cant really apply to Liverpool/Everton, such as the city,  the weather etc. Does that not have an effect of the percieved glamour of the club? Also are Athetico competing with Real for these big players? I dont think so, and i dont think that there have been many cases of Real losing out on a player to Athletico.

I think you've inadvertently explained yourself why Liverpool are comletely relevant to the success of your club, if Everton were the only club in that city, then do you think you wold of benefitted from that extra support?

To say that having Liverpool in your city is irrelavent nonsense just sounds like yu may be in denial. I just cant see how you dont hink that them being in your city doesnt have adirect effect on how you do as a club.

There's really no point thinking of sharing a city with Liverpool or Man United as anything like sharing a city with "another premier league club" - both clubs are beloved of jester hat toting Scandos, Irish coach parties and perma grinning Koreans, and always will be. They've transcended mere bitchslapfests as local rivalries (with the exception of 2 games a season).

Everton are a massive club, they're one of the corner stones of the English game. To suggest they're limited because of the Johny Come Latelies over the park seems to me to be missing the point.

They've got the traditional fanbase, they've got the history, they've got the "name", and they're quite obviously moving in the right direction. I can also think of several of their players I'd swap for the equivalents in our time in a heartbeat.

The fact that Liverpool are filling their ground (well, most weeks, anyway) with out-of-towners doesn't mean Everton don't have their share of the support in the city. Not at all.

Not sure i agree with all of that, my point was that Everton are handicapped as a club by having Livepool in the same city. i think its a bit of an unrealisitc view to suggest that the tradition of the clubs has much standing in todays game, unfortunately it is an aspect of the game which seems to be phased out in order to make more room for the souless business side of the game.

I like Everton as a club, i think Moyes has done a fantastic job and maybe doesnt get half the credit he deserves (credit which seems to be reseverd for the english Sam Allrdyce) but i genuinely believe that having a good history, having a good standing at present and having a good tradition count for very little in toays more moey driven game. And especially so when you have a massive world reknonwed club on your doorstep.

So what do you think about Atletico Madrid? They attract big name players every year and have pretty much an identical honours list to Everton and the biggest club in the world on their doorstep. The difference being money. You just said yourself that today's game is money driven, Atletico have lots of it and we don't.

It's also worth considering that back in the 70's when Liverpool were far, far stronger than they are now and were winning everything in sight it was no handicap to us in the long run, we came through it stronger and won major trophies ourselves in the 80's.

Back then we had the finances to compete at the very top end of the market and go after all the top players but now we're operating a step below that. If/when things change in the boardroom then that will be reflected on the pitch. We'll be able to genuinely compete at that point but until then, we're hoping one of the rich clubs will slip up and our manager will be able to capitalise on it. Same as Villa/City/Spurs/Newcastle.

What about Athletico Madrid? There are alot of incomparable differences there that you cant really apply to Liverpool/Everton, such as the city,  the weather etc. Does that not have an effect of the percieved glamour of the club? Also are Athetico competing with Real for these big players? I dont think so, and i dont think that there have been many cases of Real losing out on a player to Athletico.

I think you've inadvertently explained yourself why Liverpool are comletely relevant to the success of your club, if Everton were the only club in that city, then do you think you wold of benefitted from that extra support?

To say that having Liverpool in your city is irrelavent nonsense just sounds like yu may be in denial. I just cant see how you dont hink that them being in your city doesnt have adirect effect on how you do as a club.

You don't often talk a lot of sense but I think you're dead right here. If there was a city called Everton and EFC were the only club then they would for sure be a bigger draw. Again you are right NUFC has benefitted hugely from Newcastle being a one club city, if things start to get on a roll here the whole city, most of the surronding conurbation, more than half of the county to the south and pratically all of one England's largest counties to the north get behind them. Our catchment area is absolutely huge.

But no matter how well Everton do the shadow of Liverpool has always hung over them since the 70's, funny though that wasn't always the case before Shankley, Everton were very much Liverpool's (the city that is) club.

Guest Scouseman

You don't often talk a lot of sense but I think you're dead right here. If there was a city called Everton and EFC were the only club then they would for sure be a bigger draw. Again you are right NUFC has benefitted hugely from Newcastle being a one club city, if things start to get on a roll here the whole city, most of the surronding conurbation, more than half of the county to the south and pratically all of one England's largest counties to the north get behind them. Our catchment area is absolutely huge.

But no matter how well Everton do the shadow of Liverpool has always hung over them since the 70's, funny though that wasn't always the case before Shankley, Everton were very much Liverpool's (the city that is) club.

That last paragraph is so untrue.  Both clubs have always enjoyed a healthy percentage of the citys support but Liverpools support never went lower than 35,00 post war and before Mr Shankly came.   

As for Everton, I can honestly say I've never noticed them have any problems signing top players when they were doing better on the pitch, and that's right through the '60's, 70's and 80's.  In the 90's money became a problem for Everton, not the fact that players wouldn't sign.

Given the same finances of Newcastle and offering the same wages, Everton would be a bigger draw than Newcastle for most players, imo. 

As for the two club city versus one club, give me what we've got rather than just one club anytime.  There's always that competitive edge to drive you on, the sibling rivalry and banter that goes on in every pub across the city.  Maybe it's the reason 27 League Championships and 12 FA Cups have found their way to this city alone.

Guest alijmitchell

That last paragraph is so untrue.  Both clubs have always enjoyed a healthy percentage of the citys support but Liverpools support never went lower than 35,00 post war and before Mr Shankly came.   

As for Everton, I can honestly say I've never noticed them have any problems signing top players when they were doing better on the pitch, and that's right through the '60's, 70's and 80's.  In the 90's money became a problem for Everton, not the fact that players wouldn't sign.

Given the same finances of Newcastle and offering the same wages, Everton would be a bigger draw than Newcastle for most players, imo. 

As for the two club city versus one club, give me what we've got rather than just one club anytime.  There's always that competitive edge to drive you on, the sibling rivalry and banter that goes on in every pub across the city.  Maybe it's the reason 27 League Championships and 12 FA Cups have found their way to this city alone.

9 league championships and 5 FA cups Evertons though right? Although its better than our return of 4 and 6, you can hardly say that that competition with your neighbour has been massively more beneficial to YOUR club. Yes 27 leagues and 12 FA cups have made their way over to Liverpool, but overwhelmingly to Liverpool FC, not Everton.

Bristol.. Sheffield.

Just so happens that Liverpool and Everton have been 2 of the best and most successful clubs since the 60's. Not sure it has anything to do with being in the same city.

EDIT : I think Liverpool are the team that has driven Everton to success over the years but I think its Manchester United that has driven Liverpool.

Guest Scouseman

Robster EDIT : I think Liverpool are the team that has driven Everton to success over the years but I think its Manchester United that has driven Liverpool.

I'd disagree with that Robster although both cities have had an intense rivalry going back a hundred years or so.  I do believe Liverpools success is what drives Manure on though.

It was just a thought Robster.

Thats fair enough mate. Interesting to get thoughts of fans of clubs in that 2 club/1 city situation.

Newcastle have always been a very good proposition for players looking for a bumper payday. Not easy to come here claiming to be "looking to win trophies"  :weep:

Guest Scouseman

Success will come for Newcastle eventually Robster and the whole city will turn out to welcome them home with whichever trophy it is.  Then there'll be a few more trophies and you'll become so blase that it will take the European Cup coming to bring you out in such numbers again.  ;D

Success will come for Newcastle eventually Robster and the whole city will turn out to welcome them home with whichever trophy it is.  Then there'll be a few more trophies and you'll become so blase that it will take the European Cup coming to bring you out in such numbers again.  ;D

:laugh:

Be nice to think that to win 1 trophy would then bring along another couple but I think we might be in the category of the likes of Coventry, Middlesbourgh and probably Portsmouth come May. When 1 comes along it will be a 1 off. Dont get me wrong though, I would celebrate like never before should it happen.

We have learned to gauge success as relative really. At the moment, as you can probably tell, we are just happy that we are winning games and seeing some half decent football again.

Guest Knightrider

CoachHTT - although I do agree that Newcastle have a big drawing power for players, I think you're getting a little carried away with your clubs own hype.  A few points.

I know my own club and I can differentiate between the hype and none hype. I may get carried away with results, performances and the like but where the club is concerned I know what we are and what we are not, inwards and outwards.

- players will generally go where the money is, and your lucky enough to be able to match the top dollar for the big names

There is nothing lucky about it, we can match top dollar because we make top dollar as we are a well supported club and in business terms a top brand.

- you talk of players choosing the Toon over the likes of Spurs and Liverpool.  I dont think Liverpool ever showed an interest in Owen, maybe Duff but from not memory not at the time you actually signed him, and Woodgate clearly preferred to move to London and a greater chance of silverwear with Spurs than stay at home in the North East and return to St James'

We've signed countless players that have been wanted by other similar clubs, Parker and Duff turned down Spurs for example, Emre turned down Everton. Jenas turned down Liverpool as did Duff. Liverpool wanted Owen back too but we beat them to his signature. He may have preferred to move back to Anfield but we simply outbidded them. As for Woodgate, he had already basically agreed to join Spurs before we tried to hijack the deal, our interest made him turn around and speak to us though which says something.

- I totally agree players will look at potential as opposed to league position

Sometimes they don't even look at that, hype is quite an important factor too for many players or clubs. I know it's something Keegan has used before to convince players.

- you quote new signings raving about the talent, history and potential of the club....what else are they going to say?  I've signed here because the top four didnt want me but I might be able to impress enough here whilst earning 50k a week before getting my dream move to a side that's really going to challenge....

Faye said these things now, not when he signed, but now, which reflect his true feelings not then, but now after a shoddy season where the wool can't be pulled, indeed it has been our crappy season that prompted these honest quotes. He was daft enough to think NUFC could be challenging for the top 6 and he even thinks we can challenge for the CL next season. Is he saying this to please fans or does he really believe this? I think he really believes it. Of course players are going to say nice things about their new clubs but in the quotes I quoted from Faye they weren't said like that or came after just joining.

- regarding Bentley, I think your wrong about the immediacy bit, he clearly wants to be proving himself to Coppello now in order to enhance his world cup claims, and that means playing in Europe now, not after the world cup has passed.

If a CL team came in for him, of course he'd more than likely be off as that would mean instant European football, which is his preferred platform, but I think he's talking in general in this instance and isn't actively looking to leave Blackburn, he's just stating his future ambitions in my opinion in the same way that KK wants CL footy one day, doesn't mean he's going to go all out for it next season.

As for your comparison between KK and O'Neil, I think you're living in the past I'm afraid.  There is now way that Liverpool or Man Utd would consider Keegan as their successor, I'd say both would think about O'Neil if they were in the market for a new manager.  I agree that O'Neil has made his reputation building sides out of lesser players and bringing success to the clubs his done that with....that in essence is what a good manager does, that is why he's so highly regarding by pretty much all his ex-players and ex-clubs.  I guess which manager a current player would rather play for will depend on the type of player.  If he's an up and coming player who is hungry to succeed and improve, then I'd wager they'd plum for O'Neil.

There is no way that Liverpool or Man Utd would consider MON either, as he's not good enough. Why would they when they could have the pick of any top manager within reason? KK is regarded highly by his ex players and ex clubs too, players that have more standing in the game than most MON has managed. Current names like Anelka, SWP, Gerrard, Scholes - top-class players who loved working for KK and who all speak highly of him. Who has MON managed? John Hartson? Lennon? Larsson is the stand out player, but he's hardly going to be asked for his opinion by a Bentley now is he? KK's club reputation exceeds MON's too and his record in the transfer market is also very good. Any ambitious club looking to be discovered if you will would love a KK, that's why Man City give him the most important job in their recent modern history, to get them back into the top flight and keep them there. That's why Fulham appointed him as Director of Football, to overturn their off-field operations from second division class to Premiership class. MON is a team builder, KK is a club and team builder.

I think you're being very naive tbh if you think KK's standing or pulling power in the game is weak or not comparable to a MON's, a view I can't help feel is based on KK being out of the game for a few years. Naturally I think he has more than MON but if that turned out to be wrong, which time will tell of course and I will be prepared to concede if that indeed becomes the case, I don't think many would share your views however, not even a good number of Villa fans.

KK and NUFC combined with our resources and potential should be a better prospect for most players I'd say than your Villas, Evertons et al and I full expect that to be the case in coming seasons, all things considered.

We'll see.

I hope so anyway ;)

Guest Knightrider

Being a one city club there is more than a competitive edge based on local rivalry to drive you on, there is a constant 24-7 reminder by an entire city of people whose lives revolve around that one club, to drive you on. You can't escape it. It is what drove this club onwards and upwards from the trapdoor of division 2 football to within a whisker of the title. It's what will once more drive KK and Ashley on. As for the rivalry and banter, we have that with the mackems too, it's more fierce than the Scouser rivalry of course, it being a *proper derby ;)

As for all those trophies, I just think Everton and Liverpool have had better managers over the years than Newcastle United, it's as simple as that. Mind, leading up to the 74 FA Cup Final, NUFC had won more than both clubs. Just a shame that your clubs' best periods coincided with our club's worst ever period... I'm sure we will once again have our day some time though. We have some catching up to do now though like :D

I must say though, being a one city club can have it's drawbacks, the pressure and constant attention can be suffocating and the mob can rule if you like which in football isn't always the best way forward. As fans I feel we do sometimes suffocate our club with OTT scrutiny which the media and outsiders wrongly misinterpret as OTT expectations and fickleness which doesn't help. We actually expect very little and we are no more fickle than any other set of fans. We do expect good football like which has been proved not to be a myth with the Allardyce carry on. But isn't that our right, you wouldn't expect a shitty service from BT or any other service would you, much less put up with it or keep paying for it. 

I wouldn't have it any other though.

*In reference to how many LFC fans see Man Utd as their main rivals these days and the whole falseness over that rivalry which has somehow transcended traditional good old fashioned footballing rivalry.

Bentley certainly isn't a fan of Kevin Keegan!

What makes you say that?

His piece in the Observer Sport Monthly today goes on about how he likes his manager to be a disciplinarian and that a manager should be like a school teacher.

'You need leadership from your manager, players have to be controlled, if they're not it's a disaster. Look at Newcastle.'

He obviously hasn't got a fucking clue about what really happens up here.

What makes you say that?

His piece in the Observer Sport Monthly today goes on about how he likes his manager to be a disciplinarian and that a manager should be like a school teacher.

'You need leadership from your manager, players have to be controlled, if they're not it's a disaster. Look at Newcastle.'

What a bellend.

What makes you say that?

obviously talking about allardyce.

seriously tho, what an ignorant prick. not only to make a (totally wrong) assumption about a situation he knows nothing about, but to think he can lecture kevin keegan, a man who achieved more as player and manager than bentley ever will, on how to manage a football team.

i suggest he joins us in the summer to find out just how wrong he was... :smug:

What makes you say that?

What a bellend.

What makes you say that?

Hmmm. A very odd thing for someone to say. I would like to know what was exactly said compared to what made it in print. He might have made a specific reference to Joey Barton (for example) in the actual interview but the journalist decided to omit the specific information; hence making Bentley look a bit of a twat (trying to cause a rift between club and player to scupper possible transfer?)

I dont know. Its just seems odd for even a footballer to come out with (and we all know they aint the brightest sparks at the best of times)