Portsmouth v Newcastle - April Sat 12 @ 17:15

Skirge

Guest marky555

They are still fighting for Europe in the league so I cannot see this being as easy as people make out.

I am still however hopeful we can get a result, even if just a draw.  IMO, a win would certinaly mean we are moving in the right direction.

Spot on there pal

Our 4-3-3 formation works well as long as our wingbacks give their best

To be honest, I think a good 442 will trump our 433 as there are too many spaces in and around our midfield.

I reckon that 442-451-433 could become the paper-scissors-stone of footballing formations.

I think though today that with Portsmouth injuries, their midfield will be quite deep and compact and this won't expose the 433's frailties as such, rather it will be down to the tracking of Krancjar, and the midfield trio out battling their midfield.

Guest newcastle4life

2-1 to the toon Owen and Martisn great result if we could get it but will be very difficult.

We'll dominate possession, a defensive error will result in a goal for Portsmouth, Owen will have two decent chances and one sitter, Viduka will spend much of the game losing the ball but will hold the ball up well a few times, and Martins will beat his man and get a shot in on several occassions. Diarra will be the best player on the pitch.

1-1, or if its just our day, 3-1.

We'll dominate possession, a defensive error will result in a goal for Portsmouth, Owen will have two decent chances and one sitter, Viduka will spend much of the game losing the ball but will hold the ball up well a few times, and Martins will beat his man and get a shot in on several occassions. Diarra will be the best player on the pitch.

1-1, or if its just our day, 3-1.

Not likely.

To be honest, I think a good 442 will trump our 433 as there are too many spaces in and around our midfield.

I think though today that with Portsmouth injuries, their midfield will be quite deep and compact and this won't expose the 433's frailties as such, rather it will be down to the tracking of Krancjar, and the midfield trio out battling their midfield.

Agree with most of that; the way Portsmouth are set up narrow and only one real outlet I can't see them stretching our centre three much.

The frailties of us playing 4-3-3 will appear when playing sides with wingers that really stretch our centre three across the pitch and there use of their full backs with the space in-front of them that our formation gives them.

I aspect a close game Portsmouth don't score a awful lot of goals but there defense is superb, the firepower and current form of Martins-Viduka-Owen gives us a really good shout going into this one that along with the fact it looks like Diarra, Utaka, Kanu are out.

Same team hopefully bar Taylor return.

1 v 2 Newcastle

Martins and Owen

:thup:

If Portsmouth have their wingers stay high up the pitch it will make it difficult for Beye and Enrique to bombard their box from forward positions. I think Harry will have two holding midfielders and two wingers to try and counter our 4-3-3, we will therefore have to play cutely through the middle where we should out man them...

Difficult game, will listen to it on the radio. I also think the first goal will help a lot, but with our new found faith and Keegan's mantra of we'll score more it shouldn't really worry us if they do!!

2-2 Owen & barton