Deco or Bentley

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deco. Bentley wouldn't be much of a improvement over Milner imo whereas a quality playmaker is something that we need more.

What?

Did my post not make sense?

No. It seemed like the ramblings of the mentally ill.

Bet Aston Villa don't wish they'd signed Figo, Rivaldo, Beckham or Pires ahead of Ashley Young. Should Liverpool have gone for Torres or Raul? There must be dozens of once great players Man Utd could have signed for a two year fix ahead of Carrick, Nani or Anderson. That's without even mentioning Wenger.

Just saying Deco because "he's better than Bentley" is frighteningly short sighted imo. How good was Deco at 23?

Were you wanting us to sign Kevin Gallen instead of Ferdinand?

What a bizarre comparison.

one additional thing to consider.

If Bentley continues to develop at his current rate, I highly doubt he's staying with us for more than a year. The very fact that he's on the move out of Blackburn this year shows he's not much for loyalty and when Man U and Liverpool come knocking after he's lead us back to Intertoto glory, he's not going to hesitate.

People turn their nose up at Deco because he's not a "long-term solution," well, unles Bentley suddenly regresses into mediocrity, I don't think he is either.

Now, I disagree with this completely. Don't undersell Newcastle. Would Les Ferdinand or Rob Lee for example have moved on from Newcastle when they were here ?

This is the club as how it should be and what Keegan certainly will demand and expect.

I would be massively disappointed if we signed a player such as Bentley and he then wanted to move to Liverpool.

You must - going by your username - remember when Pop Robson thought moving to West Ham was a step up ? And Gazza and Waddle went to Spurs ? And whats more, sadly, at the time, they were making a step up.

It's not like I want Bentley to move, and I agree that we're a great club and one that players fall in love with. (I think that's happened to some extent with Martins and Owen, who could do better than us in the summer but won't.)

That said, Bentley's already shown that his career always comes first. I've seen nothing about the lad that indicates to me that a year with us will make him want to stay with us on a long-term basis. England caps and Champions League football are far more important to him than "52,000 screaming Geordies."

If we buy him this summer and if he plays anything approaching decent for us, demand for him will be through the roof. And when Sir Alex or Rafa or whoever Liverpool's manager is gets on the phone, I don't think he'll hesitate. We'll probably end up about 10 million richer, but right back where we started.

Bet Aston Villa don't wish they'd signed Figo, Rivaldo, Beckham or Pires ahead of Ashley Young. Should Liverpool have gone for Torres or Raul? There must be dozens of once great players Man Utd could have signed for a two year fix ahead of Carrick, Nani or Anderson. That's without even mentioning Wenger.

Just saying Deco because "he's better than Bentley" is frighteningly short sighted imo. How good was Deco at 23?

Not really, Ferdinand was at the age where he was unlikely to get any better and Gallen was the next big thing at the time.

You say people are short sighted to say Deco is better than Bentley, well I think it's ignorant to not appreciate what a player of Deco's ability could bring to this club even if it was for only 2 or 3 years, like what Beardsley brought to this club when he came back.

Not really, Ferdinand was at the age where he was unlikely to get any better and Gallen was the next big thing at the time.

You say people are short sighted to say Deco is better than Bentley, well I think it's ignorant to not appreciate what a player of Deco's ability could bring to this club even if it was for only 2 or 3 years, like what Beardsley brought to this club when he came back.

Gallen was the next big thing? ???

Deco. Bentley wouldn't be much of a improvement over Milner imo whereas a quality playmaker is something that we need more.

What?

Right then.

IMO all that Bentley offers over Milner is a more consistent cross. He's no quicker than Milner, less skillful, has a worse attitude from what I've seen and is older. So why invest £15 million in an area that doesn't need much improving? Getting a proper playmaker on the other hand would work wonders imo, especially somebody with Deco's class who can perform a role that we're missing in the side.

He certainly wasn't.

And Deco isn't a Geordie going back home with the motivation Beardsley had either. Not to mention playing in the premiership and looking for a big pay deal. It seems that people still haven't learned from the Kluivert experience, not that I'm saying he would be a KLuivert, just to tread warily and the club would need to talk to him and assess his motivation . I agree with your view that its short sighted on face value.

Perhaps it was before your time.

No it was just bollocks.

What?

Right then.

IMO all that Bentley offers over Milner is a more consistent cross. He's no quicker than Milner, less skillful, has a worse attitude from what I've seen and is older. So why invest £15 million in an area that doesn't need much improving? Getting a proper playmaker on the other hand would work wonders imo, especially somebody with Deco's class who can perform a role that we're missing in the side.

Milner quick ? You're joking.

Bentley is miles better than Milner.

When Milner was younger, at Leeds etc, he played through the middle. I'd like to see him play there before offloading replacing him with someone better though, great attitude or not.

not sure about paying £15mill for either.

deco may well have past his best and be going backwards whereas my opinion of bentley is that for all he had a spell of good games he's ahd a good few ordinary which have been overlooked due to him being the in-thing at the minute (think elano earlier on in the season)

No it was just bollocks.

Rubbish.

Gallen was an awesome footballer when he was a kid, he formed an excellent partnership with Ferdinand when he was 19/20 and was the main supply line for Ferdinand's goals at QPR, he managed to get into double figures himself and QPR sold Ferdinand to us rather than Gallen to Man Utd.

What?

Right then.

When Milner was younger, at Leeds etc, he played through the middle. I'd like to see him play there before offloading replacing him with someone better though, great attitude or not.

Didn't say Milner was quick, did I? I said Bentley's no faster than he is.

I agree that Bentley is better but not by such a margin where £15 million needs to be splashed out on him to replace Milner. Deco would be much better value for money.

Guest guinness_fiend

Bentley is a better long-term prospect.  I do not want Keegan to fall into the trap of buying proven-yet-potentially-over-the-hill players just for a quick fix.

This applies to the other thread, where Henry's name was brought up.  I'd rather we actively looked to reduce the average age of our squad and dig up some gems.

What?

Right then.

I agree that Bentley is better but not by such a margin where £15 million needs to be splashed out on him to replace Milner. Deco would be much better value for money.

Well, look at it another way.

Sign Bentley and recoup part of the fee (50% maybe) for Milner. Is the difference worth it ?

In football terms, if you want to win trophies, you need the best players and between 7-10 million quid for the difference between winning or losing the big games is nothing.

The trophy winners pay it, which says everything.

not sure about paying £15mill for either.

deco may well have past his best and be going backwards whereas my opinion of bentley is that for all he had a spell of good games he's ahd a few good few ordinary which have been overlooked due to him being the in-thing at the minute (think elano earlier on in the season)

That sums up my thoughts on Bentley at the moment too.

I think people are reading too much into Deco's age. Playmakers like him generally don't have to be lightning quick and he's the sort of player to make theball do the work him rather than vica-versa.

What?

Right then.

Well, look at it another way.

Sign Bentley and recoup part of the fee (50% maybe) for Milner. Is the difference worth it ?

In football terms, if you want to win trophies, you need the best players and between 7-10 million quid for the difference between winning or losing the big games is nothing.

The trophy winners pay it, which says everything.

Fair point but we're not at the stage of trophy winners just yet and I think putting money into places that are doing fine is a risk, especially if they are at the expense of more important areas. While Keegan's going to have a shiteload of dosh on his hands in the summer, it will still be limited and I think it's far more important to shell out money on, imo, a world class playmaker (Deco), a world class anchorman and a world class sweeper before a slight improvement like Bentley. IMO he's better, given, but also too similar to Milner. Lennon would be a better buy at half the price because that pace when utilized will be a huge asset; his service isn't great granted but that can be developed and worked on.

I'm all for perfecting and tweaking the squad when we're a top 4 team but not right now - best surely to get the foundation in place as strong as possible first.

I think Deco would be far more valuable to side, regarding other transfers. To sign a player ike Deco woud be a big coup, arguably more of a coup than signing Bentley, for me Deco is absoltue class and always has been, therefore making it unfair to compare him to the likes of Kluivert and Luque, he has that drive to suceed at all levels and i see no reason why it would any different here.

However, I absolutely see the merits of signing Bently, he is proving himself to be an excellent player, but for the short term we need to put a stamp on the direction we want to be going and for me Deco offers that stamp. More so than Bentley ever will. (in my opinion).

I think it coes down to who holds the most long term value to the club, an for me that wuld be Deco.