Portsmouth 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 12/04/08 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Just to reiterate my point from before, i thout Beye was a bit quiet on the attacking front.

I know i'm being greedy but knowing how well he can attack oppo fullbacks makes me feel we could have exploited Herman "dirty bastard" heridesson* a little more. He was sound defensively though.

Guest Chubby Jason

Midfield were excellent again today.

Nicky Butt was fantastic yet again, could he be pushing for an England recall?  :pow:

Geremi must have some kind of mental block when it comes to corners; again today he put in some delicious freekicks.

What amazes me though is the fact that Geremi has been allowed to deliver corners for ages.

This game has shown that we must bring in younger replacements for Viduka, Butt and Geremi.

Butt and Geremi were good. Butt's movement on the break was top notch, and he was defensively sound as well. Geremi's set pieces were poor, but all high balls were poor, from everyone, if you didn't notice. It looked fairly windy. Not that I would mind younger versions of the same class.

Theyd make decent to good squad players no doubt, and theyre doinga  good job whilst adding some positive attributes to the team, but they frequently show moments of tiredness or a lack of mobility in their game. Im sick of seeing Butt aimless and needlessly hack a volley to just about anywhere, he does it nearly every game when the ball comes to him in the air and regardless of whether theres anyone within 10 yards of him and without any attempt to pass it to a teamate, he'll volley it. Geremi can be very slow on occassions.

Basically, these same 3 players five years ago were considerably better than they are now, and definately more mobile with better stamina. Hence, that is what we should be aiming to sign, players of that calibre minus the limitations of age.

Still can't believe Owen missed that sitter.

2 points lost tbh.

James was jammy, rather than bad miss.

He hit it straight at James' face. Although its technically on target, its a miss for me because hes blown an absolute sitter by hitting the keeper directly as opposed to the keeper having to make an actual save.

With the benefit of hindsight, we should have won but it's a terrific point regardless. Not many teams go to fratton park and dominate the game. Little bit more quality in the final product and we'd have won comfortably. Geremi is so frustrating, i think he's a cracking little player even if he is getting on a bit, but his crosses go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Still threw a lot of quality balls in imo. Good squad player for next year.

Pleasing that the inevitable dip in performance didn't lead to defeat.

Overall i thought Owen was a little too deep, Enrique wasteful in possession and Beye nonexistent going forward. Those three need to perform for this formation to work.

Guest Knightrider

I thought during the first half had we upped the tempo, we'd have overran them and went on to win comfortably, we didn't do that. But we were good value for the point and Pompey could have easily lost that one. We were superb throughout the team as a team in what was a very good team performance. Well done all. Nicky Butt my man of the match.

Pleasing that the inevitable dip in performance didn't led to defeat.

Overall i thought Owen was a little too deep, Enrique wasteful in possession and Beye nonexistent going forward. Those three need to perform for this formation to work.

We've played shite sides so far, this was our first real test and IMO we passed it. It was by no means a dip in performance, we were just playing a better side. In some respects there are more positives from this game than there were against Reading.

Thought 0-0 was a fair result for both teams no one really dominated, have to say wish we put in a bid for Krancjar come the end of the season, produced that killer pass that opened us up and played really well the whole game.

If we had someone of Mascherano's quality to take over Butt's spot, it could do amazing things for this team.  He just doesn't have the range of passing that he needs to have to play in that DM playmaker role.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Enrique  O0, best full back on display today

Never got round him, matched johnson for pace and is getting far more confident in possession!