Portsmouth 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 12/04/08 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Guest JamesyJazz

Nice result.

We deserved to take 3 points with the posession and pressure we had but such is football!

Defoe and Kanu totaly nulified in the first half and not a real problem to us in the 2nd.

We're getting better and growing in confidence with each game.Still a long way off the likes of M.U but progress is evident.I'm happy and optimistmic for the future.Are you?

Happy with the performance and result.

Portsmouth have the best defense we've played against on our run and we gave them plenty to think about. Our midfield did excellently today, crowded them out when need be and bar some ropey passing (which was the same for both teams - pitch perhaps?) thought all three of them did their jobs well. No real drama's at the back either.

All in all another good display, not brilliant, but good all the same.

Guest Knightrider

And Campbell, Martins had the beating of him and he scared him once or twice, after that he dropped off and used his experience to combat it.

I think Owen was deeper today than he has been in previous games, but he HAD to be, as Pompy had Diop and Kranjcar cutting in which would have left us short in midfield on the wrong end of a 4 v 3 mismatch for much of the match.

Enrique's passing, yeah he put a couple in touch, but i take the view that Arsene Wenger does with Hleb, let him keep trying because all it takes is one pass to thread the needle an that's a goal. When one assist comes, more will follow.

For those who thought Beye could have got forward more, remember we were playing away from home, weren't technically safe yet, and it's better to guarantee you don't give a goal away and hope to nick one, than go all out for a goal and possibly concede one.

As to the one poster who said Joey Barton was a better player 5 years ago, what when he was 20? I haven't seen a player with such stamina and determination off the ball as JB, absolutely put himself everywhere and got in the way of some crucial passes that Pompey could have made today. I don't mean interceptions, just placing himself well to cut out options, and holding up a player until Enrique/Butt/Faye could arrive and crowd em out. For me, JB is one of the key players for next season. If he takes a step up again like i think he can, he'll be a true inspiration. Love the guy! (i'm probably on my own in this camp!)

Probably Enrique's poorest game for a while and yet still nothing got past him. Him and Beye both had to sit a little deeper, as you'd expect away from home and neither put a foot wrong defensively.

Folk think he's slow as well but he didn't look it when all Johnson could do to stop him pulling away was hack his legs from underneath him.

Probably Enrique's poorest game for a while and yet still nothing got past him. Him and Beye both had to sit a little deeper, as you'd expect away from home and neither put a foot wrong defensively.

Folk think he's slow as well but he didn't look it when all Johnson could do to stop him pulling away was hack his legs from underneath him.

He isn't slow at all but some players are quicker over 20 yards rather than a burst of 10 yards and I think that's the case with Enrique, once he gets into his stride he's actually pretty quick.

I like the James and Barton comments.

James was superb - ok he did well and didn't concede but his comically errors really have to exclude him from the "superb 8/10" area for me.

Barton had a rare off day - thought he kept up his good recent form, hardly a rare off day then when he has been really poor for most of the season until quite recently.

Guest elpapi

defoe nullified? people seem to be forgetting his big chance though, faye caught bird watching and it was probably harder to put it wide than on goal... as big a chance as owen who managed to hit james'head... otherwise faye and taylor were quite solid to me, won about everything in the air

at the other side of the pitch, no-one seemed to be going for the headers, nor viduka or martins... why still try to hit it long? viduka (give him the ball on the deck ffs!) hardly got a touch although he started well. martins was always a treath.

i can't help but feeling frustrated with some of enrique's distribution, could have been better... same with geremi's corners, i mean if you can't go past the first guy, you take the next one a bit harder! apparentely not in professional football... then at least put faye at the near post so he can flick it on...

owen, butt, barton, harper had good games, but why did smith get on the pitch? we didn't win headers, why not bringing carroll on? to save smith's ego? he contributes hardly anything so what's the point of bringing him on?

overall the right result and definitely going in the right direction! keep it up

Sky's ratings are always bullshit.,and very inconsistent sometimes a goalkeeper with "nothing to do" gets 7 and on a other day he gets a 5. Geremi was given 6 in rating after the Fulham match, even though he had 2 assists that day.

Seen the Derby ratings? Ridiculous how high they score.

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_2849250,00.html

Harper - 7 - Some good saves and did nothing wrong.

Beye - 7 - Kranjcar wasn't in the game, made some good tackles.

Taylor - 7 - Very Solid and won everything in the air.

Faye - 6 - Went to sleep at times and could have cost us a point.

Enrique - 6.5 - Wasteful when passing  and crossing the ball, but tackled well and ran well with the ball.

Geremi - 7 - Retained possession well but can't take on a man.

Butt - 7 - Broke up play very well and passing was generally good.

Barton - 7 - Tenacious, Got up and down the pitch effectively.

Owen - 6 - Didn't impact the game and wasted a glorious chance.

Martins - 7 - Full of running, tested James.

Viduka - 5 - Smith would really be more effective in away games against the good teams.

Overall - 7 - Good team performance, we were the better team throughout and could have won it.

Was it just me who felt Geremi's corners for the most part were woeful? We destroyed them in terms of corner totals yet none of them were truly dangerous and most didn't even beat the first man if I recall correctly.

Viduka - 5 - Smith would really be more effective in away games against the good teams.

Well thats debatable.

Was it just me who felt Geremi's corners for the most part were woeful? We destroyed them in terms of corner totals yet none of them were truly dangerous and most didn't even beat the first man if I recall correctly.

???

I'm guessing you've not read any other part of the thread.

???

I'm guessing you've not read any other part of the thread.

No I haven't, just the last couple including this one. Was out for the game when it was on and I've been working ever since I've got back so not had a chance to go through this thread properly. My bad.

His corners were nothing short of a disgrace, I think one out of about 12 beat the first man and James came out to collect that easily.

Its obviously a shame really because we've got players who could do the job for us in the box if the deliveries were decent. End of the day its not like we only had one or two, we had loads and its pathetic how we wasted just about all of them. I hope Keegan makes changes in this area for the Sunderland game.

Well thats deba

Well thats debatable.

Well we don't create chances for Viduka so he does nothing, at least Smith would battle hard and possible set up chances for someone else