Replacing Nicky Butt/acquiring someone better for the role he now plays

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

The way we are now set up and the role Butt now plays in this set-up is not only benefiting both ends of the team, it's also benefiting Butt too who is finding himself on the ball a lot and to his credit he's making good use of it. However he's no spring chicken and despite his fine game and passing display, he's not the best footballer around so ideally, we need a replacement. Well, for Portsmouth they had their own Butt - Diop. He did exactly what Butt did, both the cover work and the link up play, but he's got more technical ability, is quicker, more of a goal threat as he proved a couple of times with appearances inside our own box, and he has more of an engine on him. He would be the ideal replacement in my opinion or a player similar. He, like Butt, was everywhere, in our box, his own defending, breaking up play, making play, driving on and he rarely gave the ball away. I've always liked him and have wanted us to buy him a few times now. His fitness hasn't been the greatest for Pompey and I don't know how integral a player he is at Fratton Park, but he's ideal for this team and the way we seem to be heading, perhaps.

Guest Chubby Jason

He still has at least another season in him. I really don't see why we would want to replace our best midfielder.

Guest nufc 4 life

He still has at least another season in him. I really don't see why we would want to replace our best midfielder.

coming from the guy with nicky butt as their profile picture?

Guest Knightrider

For me, our side lacks tempo and that's down to the central midfield in my opinion which is occupied by too not so mobile players in Butt and Barton, players who can dilly dally too much and who don't quite have the legs to break along with others in the team to give us an attacking advantage in terms of numbers going forward in transitional play. For Butt read Viduka too.

For me, our side lacks tempo and that's down to the central midfield in my opinion which is occupied by too not so mobile players in Butt and Barton, players who can dilly dally too much and who don't quite have the legs to break along with others in the team to give us an attacking advantage in terms of numbers going forward in transitional play. For Butt read Viduka too.

I'd add Geremi to those two, replace them with quality and things should be looking good for us next season.

Guest Knightrider

Actually one of his worst performances of recent weeks today; his passing was some way from what it's been lately. Still a good display overall though.

Really? I thought it was his best game. I relate his mixed bag passing today to trying to play the ball more, some of his better hit passes though were quality. His reading of the game is what impressed me most though, seemed to be in the right place all the time, whether in and around our own half, from set-pieces to play the ball back in, or further forward.

Guest Knightrider

I reckon it would be easier to put Faye there and look for a replacement for Faye.

I don't think he's the answer in defence or midfield personally, especially midfield. I don't think he's got the right instincts to play such a role in midfield, a link between defence and attack. He'd maybe make a good old fashioned midfield destroyer but the modern midfield needs more from someone playing in there.

Guest JamesyJazz

Butt has been tremendous in his current position/role and can be for next season.I agree we should be grooming someone to replace him,but with a season to go I'm sure KK has pinpointed this.

Guest Knightrider

We'll only go so far with Nicky Butt playing such a key role. We need to add a touch of class and legs to that central midfield department and any other area that will hold back a high tempo pass and move game plan which based on our current set-up means the roles that Butt, Barton, Geremi and Viduka occupy.

Guest Knightrider

Carrick would be ideal in that position. I very much doubt we'd get him but worth a try.

He would be the one like. No chance though in my opinion.