Roy Keane - hard man ?

Benwell Lad

Bryan Robson.

Now he was f****** hard.

Agreed.

A real hard man not just a yappy whinger who did little else "hard" other than harangue referees and break a fellow pros leg on purpose.

you don't like Roy Keane then ?

Fair enough

You do ?

Also fair enough.

I'm not bothered either way, but I'm not letting the fact that he played for manu and is now the mackems manager influence my view of what happened

Guest Knightrider

Has anyone any recollections of Shearer being a hard lad, apart from the supposed incident with Gillespie ?

Plenty, he roughed up some of the toughest players in the game and more often than not come out on top. He was very brave Shearer and one aspect of his character that often went unnoticed was that he hardly ever required treatment on the pitch. Players today when they go down, are treated by the sponge man straight away, Shearer just got up and got on with it. He never went around slapping people or being a nasty bastard but then that's not hard, that's just thuggery which thankfully Shearer wasn't like that. That's what separated him from Keane, two similar characters. Shearer was always in control and that's the ultimate in mental toughness as it's very hard to stay ion control, especially when you're getting kicked right left and centre or have a Roy Keane wanting to tear your face off.

Guest Knightrider

Put it this way, in a spot of bother I'd rather have a character like Shearer on my side than a Keane.

I remember Shearer roughing up Mellberg at Villa Park not too long ago too. Mellberg had gone in hard on one of our lightweights at the time [not sure who, tbh] and a minute later as he was shepherding the ball out for a goal kick, Shearer slid in and made sure Mellberg shepherded ball right up to the bill board in front of me. :laugh:

yes, but doing things during the course of a game is completely different to standing up and being prepared to slug it out with somebody.

Keane also broke Alfie Haarlands leg deliberately and for that he should have been banned for a long long time. Not the same as a genuine fight.

Fair enough, but you never saw Shearer look afraid/back down. Sure he seldom went beserk, and in a way, we'll never know, but he looked pretty calm while Keane was foaming at the mouth.

At the end of the day, he stood up to players on the pitch who needed standing up to whilst acting responsibly for the most part. Can't ask more than that of a 'hard' footballer. :thup:

Has anyone any recollections of Shearer being a hard lad, apart from the supposed incident with Gillespie ?

Plenty, he roughed up some of the toughest players in the game and more often than not come out on top. He was very brave Shearer and one aspect of his character that often went unnoticed was that he hardly ever required treatment on the pitch. Players today when they go down, are treated by the sponge man straight away, Shearer just got up and got on with it. He never went around slapping people or being a nasty bastard but then that's not hard, that's just thuggery which thankfully Shearer wasn't like that. That's what separated him from Keane, two similar characters. Shearer was always in control and that's the ultimate in mental toughness as it's very hard to stay ion control, especially when you're getting kicked right left and centre or have a Roy Keane wanting to tear your face off.

During the course of a game, I agree, But standing up and slugging it out ? Because thats what would have happened and Keane was ready for it.

Plenty, he roughed up some of the toughest players in the game and more often than not come out on top. He was very brave Shearer and one aspect of his character that often went unnoticed was that he hardly ever required treatment on the pitch. Players today when they go down, are treated by the sponge man straight away, Shearer just got up and got on with it. He never went around slapping people or being a nasty b****** but then that's not hard, that's just thuggery which thankfully Shearer wasn't like that. That's what separated him from Keane, two similar characters. Shearer was always in control and that's the ultimate in mental toughness as it's very hard to stay ion control, especially when you're getting kicked right left and centre or have a Roy Keane wanting to tear your face off.

Bryan Robson.

Now he was f****** hard.

Agreed.

A real hard man not just a yappy whinger who did little else "hard" other than harangue referees and break a fellow pros leg on purpose.

Fair enough

You do ?

Also fair enough.

I'm not bothered either way, but I'm not letting the fact that he played for manu and is now the mackems manager influence my view of what happened

Me neither (not sure you'll believe that though ;) )

I just honestly see him as more yappy little scroat than the hard man he likes to act.  Canny player in his day mind.

Guest Knightrider

During the course of a game, I agree, But standing up and slugging it out ? Because thats what would have happened and Keane was ready for it.

If Keane had of attacked Shearer, which I don't think he would have myself, despite his theatrics, after all it would have been quite easy for him to shrug off Beckham and Neville to get to Shearer who was standing there all alone, waiting, I think Shearer would have taken it on the chin. Keane is a coward and mainly all mouth though, all bark no bite.

Guest Knightrider

Plenty, he roughed up some of the toughest players in the game and more often than not come out on top. He was very brave Shearer and one aspect of his character that often went unnoticed was that he hardly ever required treatment on the pitch. Players today when they go down, are treated by the sponge man straight away, Shearer just got up and got on with it. He never went around slapping people or being a nasty b****** but then that's not hard, that's just thuggery which thankfully Shearer wasn't like that. That's what separated him from Keane, two similar characters. Shearer was always in control and that's the ultimate in mental toughness as it's very hard to stay ion control, especially when you're getting kicked right left and centre or have a Roy Keane wanting to tear your face off.

That just reinforces my point, despite Lennon's head but on Big Al's boot, he still remained in control.

Bryan Robson.

Now he was f****** hard.

Agreed.

Fair enough

You do ?

Also fair enough.

Me neither (not sure you'll believe that though ;) )

I just honestly see him as more yappy little scroat than the hard man he likes to act.  Canny player in his day mind.

haha.......ok mate. Divvent get me wrong, I'd have loved Shearer to have chinned him good and proper it would have been a hell of a sight to see, I've just got my doubts

Who was it that we played in the cup away (shite lower division side) and their centre half elbowed shearer in the face.

What was great was that shearer didn't moan he just said "aye he did me". For me, that's hard.

If Keane had of attacked Shearer, which I don't think he would have myself, despite his theatrics, after all it would have been quite easy for him to shrug off Beckham and Neville to get to Shearer who was standing there all alone, waiting, I think Shearer would have taken it on the chin. Keane is a coward and mainly all mouth though, all bark no bite.

probably cooled down due to his team mates as quickly as he flashed up. After all with all the cameras and witnesses, he'd have been in big trouble. We'll never know for sure.

I know Shearer is tough on the pitch, but I can't get my head into thinking he's a real hard man off the pitch, he's too controlled whereas Keane really does have a wild streak.

Billy Whitehurst is reputed to have been the hardest player that ever played for the toon by the way, according to people who knew him and played with him

Who was it that we played in the cup away (shite lower division side) and their centre half elbowed shearer in the face.

What was great was that shearer didn't moan he just "aye he did me". For me, that's hard.

Jason ? of Grimsby.

You see, I think he would have had a right go at Shearer there too

That just reinforces my point, despite Lennon's head but on Big Al's boot, he still remained in control.

Some of the comments on that vid are quality.

"hahahaha, best thig i have ever saw, durty wee lepricrorn scumbag ginger headed prick. 1 Alan shearer :D"

"Omg. that was the most horrific things i have seen on a football field, Lennon you should be ashamed."

What was great was that shearer didn't moan he just "aye he did me". For me, that's hard.

Brentford I think. Whoever it was had just knocked out Spurs, anyway. Scoring was his revenge in that match ;)

Brentford I think. Whoever it was had just knocked out Spurs, anyway. Scoring was his revenge in that match ;)

It was Grimsby

Billy Whitehurst is reputed to have been the hardest player that ever played for the toon by the way, according to people who knew him and played with him

He was rumoured to have decked Vinny Jones while at Sheff Wed. Razor Ruddock was giving it big licks to the Sheff Utd players & so Billy who wasn't playing went & saw Ruddock & said "I want no funny business or I will see you afterwards" needless to say Razor didn't whack anyone during the game.

Do you remember when Vinny Jones was doing weights when Newcastle turned up at Elland Rd & Budgie went across pulled the pin out & put it in the heaviest weight & started doing pull downs, Vinny fucked off in the huff.

He was rumoured to have decked Vinny Jones while at Sheff Wed. Razor Ruddock was giving it big licks to the Sheff Utd players & so Billy who wasn't playing went & saw Ruddock & said "I want no funny business or I will see you afterwards" needless to say Razor didn't whack anyone during the game.

Do you remember when Vinny Jones was doing weights when Newcastle turned up at Elland Rd & Budgie went across pulled the pin out & put it in the heaviest weight & started doing pull downs, Vinny f***** off in the huff.

Budgie was a HARD man and a fukin nutcase as well.

Guest Knightrider

For me what says a lot is that no-one messed with Shearer, where as muppets like Mcateer loved to wind Keane up and like an idiot, he'd bite. Keane a hard man? Tough competitor but not a hard man. I'm not saying Shearer was btw, I don't think he was, he was just a tough competitor physically and mentally.

Who was it that we played in the cup away (s**** lower division side) and their centre half elbowed shearer in the face.

What was great was that shearer didn't moan he just said "aye he did me". For me, that's hard.

At the end of the game Shearer was pointing towards the tunnel & I dont think he was meaning to swap shirts.