Memories Of Derby Day

Kev

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7229/obrienys2tx9.jpg

My first memory of Derby Day, what a one to have.

I was only 4 at the time, probably too young to have known about it, but I've seen it time and time again, and whats so great about it is that split second where O'Brien's hands go up to celebrate before anyone else's.  He knew it was going in.

Guest nufc_geordie

First derby day experience for me was the 2-1 defeat at SJP when the roof wasn't on. Fortunately for me I was in the Newcastle Brown End after borrowing a neighbours season ticket because he was working away. I was only 15 at the time, and he told me there would be three or four of his mates that knew I was having the seat. At half time I remember this bloke, must have been about 20 stone and 6ft 5 saying howay young'un you can help me with the beers. He bought 10 pints, two for each of us to guzzle at half time, I was suprised at the time and struggled, the norm now though. Shame about the match though!

3-2 match when Emre scored and was sat in the SW corner and this old fella next to me shouts, 'Wheese baal's that, Carr?' Everyone in the corner looked over at him thinking he was some kind of mackem infiltrator. Had to explain to the multitude that he was from Sunderland but his family were all black and white for generations. Poor sod.

3-2 match when Emre scored and was sat in the SW corner and this old fella next to me shouts, 'Wheese baal's that, Carr?' Everyone in the corner looked over at him thinking he was some kind of mackem infiltrator. Had to explain to the multitude that he was from Sunderland but his family were all black and white for generations. Poor sod.

:lol:

I like it how both fans seem to recall derbies in recent years, even the 2 times they beat us, I hear them referring to them as "the 2-1 in the rain" and "the 2-1 Shearer penalty" or something similar.  Its never "the 2-1 sewpaaa kev" or "the 2-1 with quinn's header".  They're happy to mention how we fucked up, if you like (the 2-1 Shearer penalty) rather than heap praise on their goal scorers.

Lots of Newcastle fans from East Durham, South Durham, Durham City etc and lots of macums from Ashington, Morpeth and even North Tyneside etc so accents don't always tell the full story.

Guest BigAl2

My first derby was 1968-69 season at Roker Park, it finished 1 - 1 Pop Robson scored for us and I think Billy Hughes scored for them.

I was 8 years old at the time and we were in the Sunderland end as we had travelled up to the North East from Devon with a mackem friend of my dads.

I remember at the other end the fans spilling onto the cinder track as there was a lot of figting going on.

Lawrie McMenemy who my dad knew through church led us through the players entrance and as we were waiting I met Joe Harvey who patted me on the head I was absolutely in awe of him and couldn't believe I had met him.

What about Given's save from Phillips' curling shot? That looked going in right from the moment he struck it. I started shouting "shi.." until Given intervened. :smug: :clap:

That's still one of the best saves I've ever seen, took my breath away. :celb:

not my first derby, but my worst, 0-2 div2 play offs 1990,

i ran on the pitch, and pulled down the net at the gallowgate end.

i dont think the result should have stood, cos they ended the match, with only half a net up!

What about Given's save from Phillips' curling shot? That looked going in right from the moment he struck it. I started shouting "shi.." until Given intervened. :smug: :clap:

Phenomenal save.

didn't it win "best save" when they had those awards after 10 years of the PL?

don't remember, tbh.

Getting into bother and chased all over the place in the Fulwell when O'Brien scored in the 1-1 draw.

Getting bricked when O'Brien scored in 2-1 on the walk back to the train.

Shouting at the arseholes who invaded the pitch in the 0-2 defeat at SJP

Having the feeling of not really believing it was a derby when away fans were banned in 1996 - shittest derby ever.

Almost being in tears when they hammered us at SJP.

Enjoying the other side of coin when we did it at the SOS

Best was New Years day 1985 though. 2 sent off (remember that people weren't particularly politically correct about how they described who got sent off) and Beardsley hattrick.

My best mate is a Mackem and he got a pair of tickets for us to the 2-1 Liam O'Brien game.  In the clock stand with about a dozen or so of his Sunderland supporting mates.

Before kick off, you would see a few Toon fans work their way to the front of the Clock Stand or the Fullwell end, and then un-zip the jacket to show the Black-and white to the Sunderland fans. Then pray that the stewards would pull them out of the stand and chuck them into the away end before the Sunderland fans could pull them back in and give them a good hiding. Watched one guy have stewards grab two arms and one leg and the Mackems were still hanging onto his last leg trying to pull him back in.

Ahhh, the bliss of the inward cheer when O'Brien scored.  Awesome walking back over the bridge into town with all the rest of the gutted mackems.

I remember one year at Roker Park when all hell broke out in the fulwell, it looked as if hundreds of our fans were in amongst them and charged the mackems who ran away until the police arrived.  Once the police got to our fans the mackems became really brave and moved towards them.  I'm guessing it was between '78 and '85 at a rough guess.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7229/obrienys2tx9.jpg

My first memory of Derby Day, what a one to have.

I was only 4 at the time, probably too young to have known about it, but I've seen it time and time again, and whats so great about it is that split second where O'Brien's hands go up to celebrate before anyone else's.  He knew it was going in.

I am on this picture, above the right hand post, half way between crossbar and top of picture, grey jumper. arm raised, i can remember it like yesterday