Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wullie - its also taken Owen to get over 2 career threatening injuries before we started reaping the rewards, no one is to blame for that but the orthopaedics department in heaven.

As for Roeder's appointment, it appears in retrospect he was was a stop-gap till Shepherd got Allardyce . That also went tits up but many thought he was the answer at the time.

aye, ie planning, which he didn't do, apparently 

Are you for real??

The new board are lambasted for not signing players from "poxy clubs like Blackburn" but the old board arent lambasted for not being able to sell nufc to managers from 'poxy clubs likes Bolton"

Also, what kind of a plan is it employ a manager you know you will sack?

Thats a joke NE5, you know it.

suppose thats a novel way of looking at it !

;D

Wullie - its also taken Owen to get over 2 career threatening injuries before we started reaping the rewards, no one is to blame for that but the orthopaedics department in heaven.

As for Roeder's appointment, it appears in retrospect he was was a stop-gap till Shepherd got Allardyce . That also went tits up but many thought he was the answer at the time.

aye, ie planning, which he didn't do, apparently 

Are you for real??

The new board are lambasted for not signing players from "poxy clubs like Blackburn" but the old board arent lambasted for not being able to sell nufc to managers from 'poxy clubs likes Bolton"

Also, what kind of a plan is it employ a manager you know you will sack?

Thats a joke NE5, you know it.

suppose thats a novel way of looking at it !

;D

Well are you saying Shepherd was looking at Roeder for the long term?

Are you saying he saw Roeder get us back into the CL?

Cant believe some people think Owen was just a trophy signing, there was a world class striker available in the season Shearer was leaving, we didnt really have a choice but to go for him.

Boumsong was actually on for Rangers' player of the year award, and their fans were gutted he was leaving (although happy with the £8.5m). You're proving my original point by trying to claim you thought he was shit already (again, can you link to one of your posts where you claimed this please?). In fact, I'll even give you the chance of finding some posts from Rangers fans on other forums who claimed Boumsong was shit for them, before he was sold. At the time, the only thing bad about the deal was the fee, and clearly only you had the foresight to see that it would be a bad signing. Well done at that :)

As for the "how's he getting on now?" - he's playing for one of the top teams in France, after playing for one of the top teams in Italy. What's your point? He clearly wasn't suited to this league (everyone can see that) but he's still playing for top European clubs. Funny that eh.

I think Scott McDonald's shite and he was up for player of the year this time too, what's your point?

I'm sure I could find posts from Celtic fans too saying how great he is, the thing is what they think is a good player and what I think is a good player is two different things as they will be judging players by the standard of the SPL and I'll be judging them against what I see every week in the Premiership.

I remember people who had watched Boumsong at Rangers and were not a fan of either Glasgow team say he struggles when he's put under pressure and looks class act against poor opposition(90% of the league) they expressed doubts that he could make the step up to the Premiership.

Looking good in a pub league doesn't mean regular watchers of the Premiership won't think they're shite.

is that so. I don't understand how anyone can't see that Boumsong wasn't bought to play in the team in Woodgates position.

As you think that Roeder was a total "failure" you can tell us how many other ex NUFC managers finished 7th in the top league, even once, especially under the board in the 1970's and 1980's, as they were all "the same as" the one Roeder had, they would have all therefore been on a level playing field.

Roeder did have a history of finishing 7th in his first year, pity it was usually followed by relegation.   :lol:

oh dear. Nobody has replaced Tony Green, going  by that unbelievable criteria, [see my sig for the full comment] made only to hide your embarrassment.

Defend Souness all you want, you did think he was a good manager so that's no surprise.  bluelaugh.gif

I like how Souness always considers himself to be his own man, then puts up with stuff like this [if true]. I actually think that he's many things, but a yes man he isn't.

BTW, didn't Anelka move from man city to Fenerbache for something like 16m, then to Bolton for half of that ? Something not quite right there I would say ....

Such as?

oh dear. Nobody has replaced Tony Green, going  by that unbelievable criteria, [see my sig for the full comment] made only to hide your embarrassment.

Defend Souness all you want, you did think he was a good manager so that's no surprise.   bluelaugh.gif

mackems.gif

is that so. I don't understand how anyone can't see that Boumsong wasn't bought to play in the team in Woodgates position.

As you think that Roeder was a total "failure" you can tell us how many other ex NUFC managers finished 7th in the top league, even once, especially under the board in the 1970's and 1980's, as they were all "the same as" the one Roeder had, they would have all therefore been on a level playing field.

Roeder did have a history of finishing 7th in his first year, pity it was usually followed by relegation.   :lol:

avoiding the question, just as you've done with Sheargol

You like avoiding questions when it suits you aswell NE5 tbf mate

no, you're wrong. I've answered them before and mick knows the reply, and there are still 2 open ones for him. You are the first to complain if I repeat things I've said before, well the answer is if he replied to the factual information I wouldn't have to.

Don't want to have to say this again, or you'll complain again

no, you're wrong. I've answered them before and mick knows the reply, and there are still 2 open ones for him. You are the first to complain if I repeat things I've said before, well the answer is if he replied to the factual information I wouldn't have to.

I've asked you a few in this thread and you've ignored them, which is the reason people don't bother getting into a debate with you.

If you can't answer them because it might make fat Fred look bad you just ignore them and keep pushing your pro Shepherd agenda like he can do no wrong.

How much do you think we'll spend this summer? How much ambition do you think the board will show?

How much do you think we'll spend this summer? How much ambition do you think the board will show?

Sorry fred mate, how do I know that ? You don't know, decky doesn't know, nobody knows .

Thats just not an answerable question I'm afraid.

Evening NE5, how much do you think we'll spend in the summer? ;)

Sorry fred mate, how do I know that ? You don't know, decky doesn't know, nobody knows .

Another way of looking at it might be, how much do you feel the Board need to invest to make the progress you would like to see?

Another way of looking at it might be, how much do you feel the Board need to invest to make the progress you would like to see?

Another way of looking at it might be:

If it's ok to assume that Mort's a bean counter who will watch the pennies, isn't it also ok to assume that he might just hand Keegan a fantastic war chest which will blow the beans theory out of the water?

Well that makes no sense does it. I guess it did in your head though, as you're obviously laughing inside.

Anyway, to go through the points:

Boumsong was actually on for Rangers' player of the year award, and their fans were gutted he was leaving (although happy with the £8.5m). You're proving my original point by trying to claim you thought he was s*** already (again, can you link to one of your posts where you claimed this please?). In fact, I'll even give you the chance of finding some posts from Rangers fans on other forums who claimed Boumsong was s*** for them, before he was sold. At the time, the only thing bad about the deal was the fee, and clearly only you had the foresight to see that it would be a bad signing. Well done at that :)

As for the "how's he getting on now?" - he's playing for one of the top teams in France, after playing for one of the top teams in Italy. What's your point? He clearly wasn't suited to this league (everyone can see that) but he's still playing for top European clubs. Funny that eh.

Right, Owen being injury prone:

2004-05 40 games played

2003-04 38 games played

2002-03 54 games played

So basically, until he signed for Newcastle he was playing consistently. Yet you want to claim now that you KNEW he was a bad signing because he wouldn't play enough games?? The cost per goal is 100% HINDSIGHT. Again, show me your reaction when he signed, and I'll back down.

You're your own worse enemy Mick - in your debates with NE5 you end up losing out because it would kill you to ever back down on anything.

Prove you're right by linking your posts.

Boumsong was at Rangers for half a season, during that time he faced nobody of any note and looked clueless any time he was put under pressure, I wouldn't really hold up a few games in a second rate league as a reason to think he's any good.  How many players come here for Scotland as the next big thing only to fail?  Rangers sold Barry Ferguson to Blackburn and he was shite here, in Scotland he was a hero.  The fact that Boumsong played 2nd division football in Italy means what?  As for now, he's playing back in France, he's played a hand full of games for Lyon.

Nice selection of seasons for Owen, he averaged 30 games a season for Liverpool over 7 years so I would guess that he actually played less than 70% of the total number of games they played when you add cup games.  I can't understand how anybody can try to argue that he wasn't injury prone, you've selected 2 seasons at Liverpool and in those two seasons he played 92 games out of his total of 216.  Most of his games at Madrid came from the bench, he hardly ever started and that's one of the reasons he wanted away.

I agree the cost per goal is hindsight, I don't see anything wrong with hindsight.

As for links to posts, the current forum doesn't go that far back.

avoiding the question, just as you've done with Sheargol

He did no more than Richard Dinnis when he qualified for Europe, did that make him any better than he was?

Which 2 questions are open for me?

Cant believe some people think Owen was just a trophy signing, there was a world class striker available in the season Shearer was leaving, we didnt really have a choice but to go for him.

I planned on not ever posting in this thread, but I'm just cutting in to say that Anelka was available and we were actually after him, and for a price much cheaper than what we eventually paid for Owen as well.

I remember Souness hinting that he wanted Anelka but somehow we ended up for Owen. It'd be interesting to know the details about why we ended up paying £5m extra for Owen instead of buying Anelka (and thus playing the 4-3-3 that Souness wanted to).

Similarly, I'd like to hear Shepherd's perspective on how we ended up with Luque and not Boa Morte (because we already know Souness' view).

Anelka and Boa Morte were Souness's favoured siginings, shepherd baulked at paying something like £16m combined on them, and instead paid £25m on Luque and Owen. We also made a bid for Torres at the same time too, which suggest Shepherd wanted a 'name' to replace the shearer cash cow, boost ticket sales/merchandising and felt Anelka wasn't a big enough draw.

a wide midfield attacking player like David Bentley, an attacking central midfield player and an out and out striker with more mobility than Viduka and a top 6 is nailed on.

More needed to get into the top 4. A canny bit more and a step up.

Quite simply,t this costs money and if you arent'prepared to meet it you won't do it.

These sort of players and performance appeases the fans, quite a lot, like it did the last time and the time before that.