Keegan wants a left back.

Baggio

I agree Johnny. Don't rate Bridge at all, not anymore, think he's gone alarmingly backwards. His performances against Croatia and in the Carling Cup final were absolutely laughable. Personally I don't think there's many better left backs in the league than Enrique, from what we've seen so far anyway.

same here. in January he mentioned something about needing players who can fit right into the side and make an immediate impact. he mentioned Henry as someone who took 6 months to settle and that wasn't what we needed. i presume he was talking about the very short-term ie till the end of the season to avoid relegation. in the summer i'd hope he takes a more long-term approach. The Thierry Henry case is a great example of those first 6 months of adjustment being worth it in the long run.

it is my one remaining fear about Keegan, kind of linked to him being out the game for 3 years, that he'll buy names. 27-28 year old and over british/well known players with big reputations and big wages who are on the way down, it would be Carr, Babayaro, Smith, Duff, Butt, Kluivert etc all over again. i don't think he will tbh, he's too good to fall into that trap. but it is a niggling fear more than anything.

Honestly if we sign Wayne Bridge i'll be gutted, N'Zogbia mk II for Enrique.

Keegan is responsible for bringing players in from the Premiership, the others are scouring everywhere else and will give recommendations to Keegan and he'll look at those players and make the final decision.  I'd be surprised if we don't bring players in from the lower leagues or abroad because we seem to have more people looking away from the Premiership than at it.

His comments were in the NOTW on March 30th.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/autocodes/premiership-teams-2006-2007/newcastle/keegan-makes-left-back-his-top-summer-transfer-target-$1216344.htm

"We've got one left-back at the club in Jose Enrique and he could get injured or suspended," Keegan told The News of the World.

"Whoever, we fetch in, we can't sign just foreign players and expect them to know all about the Premier League.

"I'm not scared of taking a gamble, but we want some solid players who know the Premier League if we're going to turn things round quickly."

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/autocodes/premiership-teams-2006-2007/newcastle/keegan-makes-left-back-his-top-summer-transfer-target-$1216344.htm

"We've got one left-back at the club in Jose Enrique and he could get injured or suspended," Keegan told The News of the World.

"Whoever, we fetch in, we can't sign just foreign players and expect them to know all about the Premier League.

"I'm not scared of taking a gamble, but we want some solid players who know the Premier League if we're going to turn things round quickly."

I wasn't doubting you, do those words look softer than his original comments?

I can't remember exactly what he said.

He said this about 3 weeks ago when he was talking about bringing in 3 or 4 new players coming in and a couple of young lads to bring through.

I missed that, I remember him saying the same early on after his return.

same here. in January he mentioned something about needing players who can fit right into the side and make an immediate impact. he mentioned Henry as someone who took 6 months to settle and that wasn't what we needed. i presume he was talking about the very short-term ie till the end of the season to avoid relegation. in the summer i'd hope he takes a more long-term approach. The Thierry Henry case is a great example of those first 6 months of adjustment being worth it in the long run.

it is my one remaining fear about Keegan, kind of linked to him being out the game for 3 years, that he'll buy names. 27-28 year old and over british/well known players with big reputations and big wages who are on the way down, it would be Carr, Babayaro, Smith, Duff, Butt, Kluivert etc all over again. i don't think he will tbh, he's too good to fall into that trap. but it is a niggling fear more than anything.

don't particularly rate Wayne Bridge either. I think Enrique is good but do suspect he isn't a Keegan type player, which of course is his prerogative as manager.

Man for man the back 4 isn't priority, apart from needing maybe one player due to lack of numbers. I'm sure Keegan realises by now the main areas needed are in central and wide right midfield, and a more mobile player up front than Viduka

I wasn't doubting you, do those words look softer than his original comments?

I can't remember exactly what he said.

His original comments back in January were...

"What I would like to do is add to the players we've got ? but you've got to be tough in the Premier League.

"Sometimes players are fetched in and are not used to it. Some great players have struggled at first to get into it, such as Thierry Henry, when he came from Monaco.

"I prefer to bring in players who don't need settling in. But we've got some good players here - make no mistake about it.

"I want to bring in three players, I know who they are, but we'll have to see if they are available."

He said this about 3 weeks ago when he was talking about bringing in 3 or 4 new players coming in and a couple of young lads to bring through.

don't particularly rate Wayne Bridge either. I think Enrique is good but do suspect he isn't a Keegan type player, which of course is his prerogative as manager.

Man for man the back 4 isn't priority, apart from needing maybe one player due to lack of numbers. I'm sure Keegan realises by now the main areas needed are in central and wide right midfield, and a more mobile player up front than Viduka

agree.

I think both Beye and Enrique look like very good full-backs. The only problem is that neither is what you'd call an 'attacking' full-back. Beye gets up the field very well but his delivery and creativity in the final third is average. Enrique is solid but prefers to play passes from deep.

This wouldn't be a problem in a Keegan team if only one full-back was like this, but since it is both, and since they are so important in the current formation (our only real width) i suspect Keegan will bring in another one, only more attacking.

Hopefully it'll be someone who can play in both full-back positions, and even centre-half, as that way it is encouraging an adaptable squad and means money is kept for more pressing concerns, rather than bringing in a big name for a big fee who can only fulfil one position, which might inadvertantly undermine someone already at the club. That's what happened with Duff and N'Zogbia (even though Duff could fill in on the right of midfield occasionly). Chimbonda, Enrique and Beye would be a good complement of full-backs, to rotate around over a season, with some of the younger lads at the club being last-resort backups. If only Chimbonda was younger, as it is, i'm not sure he has the right sense of motivation.

agree.

I think both Beye and Enrique look like very good full-backs. The only problem is that neither is what you'd call an 'attacking' full-back. Beye gets up the field very well but his delivery and creativity in the final third is average. Enrique is solid but prefers to play passes from deep.

This wouldn't be a problem in a Keegan team if only one full-back was like this, but since it is both, and since they are so important in the current formation (our only real width) i suspect Keegan will bring in another one, only more attacking.

Hopefully it'll be someone who can play in both full-back positions, and even centre-half, as that way it is encouraging an adaptable squad and means money is kept for more pressing concerns, rather than bringing in a big name for a big fee who can only fulfil one position, which might inadvertantly undermine someone already at the club. That's what happened with Duff and N'Zogbia (even though Duff could fill in on the right of midfield occasionly). Chimbonda, Enrique and Beye would be a good complement of full-backs, to rotate around over a season, with some of the younger lads at the club being last-resort backups. If only Chimbonda was younger, as it is, i'm not sure he has the right sense of motivation.

I can see Keegan bringing in at least 3 defenders in the Summer, I think he'll look at the fullback situation and know he'll have to bring in one for each side, he hasn't spoken about right back yet but I think that's down to Carr still being here but I just can't see any way that he's going to get a contract extension in the Summer, he'll look at it and ask himself if he'll be happy with Taylor at right back and Edgar at left back because that is what will happen if depth isn't added to the squad and of course he won't be, so I can see both positions getting filled.

Whether it's with first teamers or back up players is another thing, I think a young lad might come in as cover for Beye to get used to the Premiership (Torosidis from Olymiacos has been watched apparently ) but I'm not sure what he's going to do down the left, as you've said I wouldn't be happy with either Riise or Bridge but I think this might be the sort of player he will go for, maybe even Shorey from Reading.

I think he'll also target a quality centre back that will cost a bit of money after failing to get Woodgate, I think he'll look for a leader at the back which we don't really have even though he's spoke about Faye being one of his leaders on the pitch, Richard Dunne would be my bet.

I think he'll then add two midfielders and a striker, I can see Barton being a regular next season if he doesn't end up in jail too.

Has anyone floated the idea of getting someone who's possibly a bit beyond their years (someone like a Sol Campbell - only a LB) that wouldn't mind not playing every game and could help teach Enrique the in's and out's of being a LB in the Prem while being able to cover for Enrique if he's injured?  There's got to be someone that's a bit older and wouldn't mind imparting their knowledge on to Enrique while still trying to push him on to become the player we all can see that he will be.

Guest teepee

@johnnydp - i disagree regarding beye, i think he looks very good going forward tbh. two superb assists against reading

Guest NUFC4

wonder how long it took him to figure that one out!  oh well we can always throw zoggy in there if we want to concede six a game, i bet after that he'll commit his long term future to the club

Guest NorwegianMag

I would be pissed off if we signed Riise. Yes, he have become more proffesional, but he's fucking shite now! lost his legs, can't defend, average offensive, bad passer and poor touch!

Has anyone floated the idea of getting someone who's possibly a bit beyond their years (someone like a Sol Campbell - only a LB) that wouldn't mind not playing every game and could help teach Enrique the in's and out's of being a LB in the Prem while being able to cover for Enrique if he's injured?  There's got to be someone that's a bit older and wouldn't mind imparting their knowledge on to Enrique while still trying to push him on to become the player we all can see that he will be.

i'd be after a dragutinovic (spelling ?) type signing...experienced,can play at centre half aswell as full back and probably happy enough to be a squad player.

What fucking joke that story is......

First of all "as a possible close-season replacement for £6 million Spanish defender Jose Enrique", Jose is going no where mate.

Then "With Charles N'Zogbia almost certain to leave for Tottenham this summer", little but more lazy journalism.

Followed by "Keegan has also been linked with Wayne Bridge but Riise's attacking instincts could appeal more", since when has Riise had better attacking instincts than Bridge, neither please.

No quotes or nowt. Just blatant speculation grrr!

Guest Lster

I would be pissed off if we signed Riise. Yes, he have become more proffesional, but he's f****** s**** now! lost his legs, can't defend, average offensive, bad passer and poor touch!

Could not agree more.. Really hope we don't sign the ginger cunt.

We would get more press coverage in norway but you only get the shitty headlines where they always name the norwegian players even if thet don't play.

Heard a little rumour that we're launching a joint bid for Riise and Kuyt in summer.

I'd be happy with Kuyt like. Underrated imo.

Heard a little rumour that we're launching a joint bid for Riise and Kuyt in summer.

Can't see it happening though, especially if Crouch is away. I think a lot will depend on whether or not Liverpool win the CL, as I'm sure they'll be targeting some top players to replace some of the deadwood in their squad.

To replace who though?

Not as clinical as Owen, not as athletic/unpredicatable as Martins and can't hold the ball up/win headers/hold players off like Viduka.

I'm not totally against signing Kuyt but he wouldn't blow my socks off to be honest.

As for Riise -  :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

He'd look a better player under KK, he's doing a job for RB at the moment, killing his natural game.

To replace who though?

Not as clinical as Owen, not as athletic/unpredicatable as Martins and can't hold the ball up/win headers/hold players off like Viduka.

I'm not totally against signing Kuyt but he wouldn't blow my socks off to be honest.

almost enough to give roeder credit for not going for kuyt

Na. not a fan of Kuyt i'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong the guy is a good striker, works hard, has a good attitude and is prepared to play out of position. However, i don't see anyway how he could fit into the system we play. Even we played 442 i wouldn't want him playing up front.

To replace who though?

I'd see him in a support striker role but he is genuinely versatile. He's not unlike Bellamy and probably better (tin hat on). I don't think we'll play the same 4-3-3 / 4-3-1-2 formation next season anyway. I think he'd give more to the team than Viduka in his role though although he obviously lacks his class and isn't prolific.