PRE-MATCH West Ham v Newcastle

STM

I'm surprised you were that positive since you thought we should have stuck with Allardyce instead of taking a risk bringing Keegan back.

...and you still maintain Owen isn't a good finisher.  :pow: ;)

I said he's not a World class finisher which he isn't.

Perhaps that's the difference between going to games and seeing some of the chances he misses compared to watching highlights over the Internet.

Most modern strikers miss alot of chances.  Name a better goal poacher.

Try digging the original thread up and you might have a clue what we're on about rather than jumping in without a clue.

I know what you're talking about mate.  My point about Owen remains.  He said Owen wasn't a world class finisher.  He clearly is, just not his all round game nowadays.

Being a World class poacher doesn't make you a World class finisher.

True, but he is a world class finisher in my eyes. It depends what you classify as a World Class Finisher.  I would say it means you have converted a high percentage of your chances at international level against quality opposition and have a good games to goals ratio something like 1 goal every 2 games.  Both of which Owen has done.  Define what makes a world class finisher.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=51424.msg1263711#msg1263711

He hasn't been great but I think the 4-3-3 works well with him as the head of it. I wouldn't have the same confidence in Carroll just yet. He wasn't at his best against Sunderland, but would you have the confidence in Carroll having the ability to do what Viduka did for the penalty for example?

It's not just about having the confidence in him to pull off a trick, I just think we're at that stage of the season where seeing what a few of our fringe players can do wouldn't do us any harm since we don't have much to play for.

I'd be tempted to give the likes of Carroll and Edgar a start in one of our remaining games, just to give us a better idea of what they're about.

i think he will for those two in particular and maybe lua lua. but not all three in one game.

The only time the young-uns should be brought into the first 11 is if we get an injury/knock/loss.

There's a chance we could pick up an injury for our last 3 games so they may get their chance.

The time to play the likes of Edgar & Carroll imo will be at Everton if it's mathematically impossible to finish 10th. I know we've done a lot of good work the last two months, but it would be a shame to finish with a form record of WDWLLL. Think we should go all out in every game still.

I'm surprised you were that positive since you thought we should have stuck with Allardyce instead of taking a risk bringing Keegan back.

Perhaps that's the difference between going to games and seeing some of the chances he misses compared to watching highlights over the Internet.

Try digging the original thread up and you might have a clue what we're on about rather than jumping in without a clue.

I know what you're talking about mate.  My point about Owen remains.  He said Owen wasn't a world class finisher.  He clearly is, just not his all round game nowadays.

True, but he is a world class finisher in my eyes. It depends what you classify as a World Class Finisher.  I would say it means you have converted a high percentage of your chances at international level against quality opposition and have a good games to goals ratio something like 1 goal every 2 games.  Both of which Owen has done.  Define what makes a world class finisher.

A career 1 in 2 isn't good enough for Baggio. Heavens.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=51424.msg1263711#msg1263711

Interesting Slant.  Who would you consider a world class finisher in your eyes in the world today?

Interesting Slant.  Who would you consider a world class finisher in your eyes in the world today?

As has been said in that thread there isn't many now, Eto'o, Henry, RVN are the 3 stand out.

As I said I'd trust Viduka in a one on one situation more than I would Owen, Owen's strength is using his footballing brain to get into the positions where he'll get more chances to finish than Viduka.

As has been said in that thread there isn't many now, Eto'o, Henry, RVN are the 3 stand out.

As I said I'd trust Viduka in a one on one situation more than I would Owen, Owen's strength is using his footballing brain to get into the positions where he'll get more chances to finish than Viduka.

Baggy resurrects the old 'fox in the box' debate to cover his retreat.  :razz:

Being in the right place is part and parcel of finishing imo.

No surprise to see you missing the point, perhaps you should stick to being zany in general chat.

No surprise to see you missing the point, perhaps you should stick to being zany in general chat.

I'm not missing the point at all. You have no point.

If you can't see that being a good finisher and being in right place is part and parcel of the same thing as it is imo, there is no point in continuing this is there?

...try and save the side swipes for your wife/girlfriend.. :pow:

Guest toonlass

Harper

Beye         Taylor        Faye       Enrique

Butt

Geremi                             Barton

Owen

Viduka                   Martins

West Ham left wondering if they should sign Smith, Rozenhal and Cacapa for next year, and a 3-0 win to us.

Quite clearly you're Parky, not to worry though.

Just think of it as a conspiracy theory.

If we do indeed have a fully fit squad then I would only change the bench..

-----------------Harper

Beye------Taylor-----Faye----Enrique

----Geremi------Butt-------Barton

-----------------Owen

-------Viduka------------Martins

BENCH

Forster

Edgar

Emre

Milner

Carroll

Quite clearly you're Parky, not to worry though.

Just think of it as a conspiracy theory.

Yawn.

Torres is decent like ;)

Best striker in Europe. Still misses one on ones, as proved twice last night.

Rather have Viduka tbh ;)

Oh dear, I see trying to talk football is wasted here.

Maybe I'm missing the point too then. You're saying that Owen isn't a world class finisher because you're not confident about him in a one on one situation? I then point out that Torres (I'm sure you'll agree he's one of the best, if not the best striker in Europe at the moment?) also misses one on ones.

As far as I can see, that's a football debate. If you feel it's wasted, that's your own issue I'm afraid.

Torres is decent like ;)

Maybe I'm missing the point too then. You're saying that Owen isn't a world class finisher because you're not confident about him in a one on one situation? I then point out that Torres (I'm sure you'll agree he's one of the best, if not the best striker in Europe at the moment?) also misses one on ones.

As far as I can see, that's a football debate. If you feel it's wasted, that's your own issue I'm afraid.

That depends if you don't see being a World class finisher and being a World class striker as 2 different things.

I personally do so no, I wouldn't say the finishing part of Torres game is World class however that doesn't mean he's not a World class player.

The time to play the likes of Edgar & Carroll imo will be at Everton if it's mathematically impossible to finish 10th. I know we've done a lot of good work the last two months, but it would be a shame to finish with a form record of WDWLLL. Think we should go all out in every game still.

Agreed.

What annoys me more is that people point out Martins one on one misses more than Owens. In the period before Birmingham, Blackburn in particular, Owen missed every chance he got. Yet Martins misses one on Sunday, in a game we won, and gets loads of grief. 

The truth is, the goals per games ratio is the stat to look at. People aren't going to turn around at the end of the year and say "that torres has scored 30 in 40 games, but fuk me he missed a couple of sitters against chelsea".

All striker miss chances, Torres, Owen and Martins.... it's the amount of goals they do score that should be debated.

Torres is decent like ;)

That depends if you don't see being a World class finisher and being a World class striker as 2 different things.

I personally do so no, I wouldn't say the finishing part of Torres game is World class however that doesn't mean he's not a World class player.

Fair enough, agree to disagree then. I personally think Torres is a world class finisher, as is Owen (to a lesser extent).