PRE-MATCH West Ham v Newcastle

STM

I'm surprised you were that positive since you thought we should have stuck with Allardyce instead of taking a risk bringing Keegan back.

...and you still maintain Owen isn't a good finisher.  :pow: ;)

I said he's not a World class finisher which he isn't.

Perhaps that's the difference between going to games and seeing some of the chances he misses compared to watching highlights over the Internet.

Most modern strikers miss alot of chances.  Name a better goal poacher.

Try digging the original thread up and you might have a clue what we're on about rather than jumping in without a clue.

I know what you're talking about mate.  My point about Owen remains.  He said Owen wasn't a world class finisher.  He clearly is, just not his all round game nowadays.

Being a World class poacher doesn't make you a World class finisher.

True, but he is a world class finisher in my eyes. It depends what you classify as a World Class Finisher.  I would say it means you have converted a high percentage of your chances at international level against quality opposition and have a good games to goals ratio something like 1 goal every 2 games.  Both of which Owen has done.  Define what makes a world class finisher.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=51424.msg1263711#msg1263711

Interesting Slant.  Who would you consider a world class finisher in your eyes in the world today?

As has been said in that thread there isn't many now, Eto'o, Henry, RVN are the 3 stand out.

As I said I'd trust Viduka in a one on one situation more than I would Owen, Owen's strength is using his footballing brain to get into the positions where he'll get more chances to finish than Viduka.

Owen has a higher goals to shots ratio this season than Eto'o. 

Therefore, by your reasoning is a better finsiher.

Owen Shots:28 Goals:10

Eto'o  Shots:58 Goals:15

http://www.squadgod.com/players/MichaelOwen

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=11718

I'm surprised you were that positive since you thought we should have stuck with Allardyce instead of taking a risk bringing Keegan back.

Perhaps that's the difference between going to games and seeing some of the chances he misses compared to watching highlights over the Internet.

Try digging the original thread up and you might have a clue what we're on about rather than jumping in without a clue.

I know what you're talking about mate.  My point about Owen remains.  He said Owen wasn't a world class finisher.  He clearly is, just not his all round game nowadays.

True, but he is a world class finisher in my eyes. It depends what you classify as a World Class Finisher.  I would say it means you have converted a high percentage of your chances at international level against quality opposition and have a good games to goals ratio something like 1 goal every 2 games.  Both of which Owen has done.  Define what makes a world class finisher.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=51424.msg1263711#msg1263711

Interesting Slant.  Who would you consider a world class finisher in your eyes in the world today?

As has been said in that thread there isn't many now, Eto'o, Henry, RVN are the 3 stand out.

As I said I'd trust Viduka in a one on one situation more than I would Owen, Owen's strength is using his footballing brain to get into the positions where he'll get more chances to finish than Viduka.

The difference being Eto'o is a player who shoots from anywhere within 30 yards of goal where as Owen doesn't, I'm talking about what I'd consider to be goalscoring opportunities.

The difference being Eto'o is a player who shoots from anywhere within 30 yards of goal where as Owen doesn't, I'm talking about what I'd consider to be goalscoring opportunities.

So basically what your saying is a world class finisher is someone in say the top 10 of the world,  within 10 yards of the Goal one on one with a keeper of equal ability with an equal unchanging global weather system, uniform pitches, equal levels of fitnessetc......

Basically what I'm saying is you can't decide what a world class finisher is by your theory.  Every thing has to be exactly the same.

I'll stick by saying if you stick it in the back of the net more than most then you're a world class finisher.

EDIT: I think we should end this debate, it's pointless and must be well annoying for others.

How many fucking sitters will Owen have to miss this season before people realize that he isn't a world-class finisher anymore?

The difference between Torres and a pure 'finisher' like RvN, like Baggio has said, is that Torres is a world-class striker who's all-round game makes him world class. To be a world-class finisher, you simply have to finish the easy chances consistently (which Torres doesn't do enough of).

This distinction also applies to Owen in that even though he gets brownie points for being in the right position, if he doesn't finish the chances off consistently, he isn't a world-class finisher.

It ain't rocket-science man. Just semantics.

How many f****** sitters will Owen have to miss this season before people realize that he isn't a world-class finisher anymore?

The difference between Torres and a pure 'finisher' like RvN, like Baggio has said, is that Torres is a world-class striker who's all-round game makes him world class. To be a world-class finisher, you simply have to finish the easy chances consistently (which Torres doesn't do enough of).

This distinction also applies to Owen in that even though he gets brownie points for being in the right position, if he doesn't finish the chances off consistently, he isn't a world-class finisher.

I dont know, he has been putting them away recently, previously the whole team had been jittery and his finishing at the time (blackburn match) was an extension of how badly the team had been playing for months.

How many fucking sitters will Owen have to miss this season before people realize that he isn't a world-class finisher anymore?

I think it's clear you're not a fan of Owen.

Still, looking forward to the West Ham match?

I think it's clear you're not a fan of Owen.

Still, looking forward to the West Ham match?

Actually, I like Owen a lot but I hate to see people exaggerating how good he is because they then underestimate how further we have to go and thus, expectations climb too quickly. I'd rather see Owen being labeled a 'pretty good' striker so that when he misses chances, no one will jump on his back. In a round-about way, I'm just pre-emptively defending him ;)

Back to the WH match. Any news on Zoggy and Milner? I hope they both get a place on the bench this time.

After his major injuries the last two years, it would have been easy for Owen to have done a Fowler. Of course he's missed sitters, but he's also scored goals this season, and got into positions none of our other strikers, or many strikers that we could sign, would do.

Didn't Owen score his first hatrick for us against West Ham?

Yeah.  His only one as well.  Lets hope for more. 

I can see us beating them reasonably easily.  I know a few hammers and they are less than confident about their defence being able to cope with our front 3 and they think they'll get overrun in midfield.

Do they usually play 4-4-2? Who's up front? Ashton and Sears?

Has been those two recently, sometimes Zamora sometimes cole.

That strikeforce isn't so hot. Still likely to bag a goal though. 1-1 methinks.