PRE-MATCH West Ham v Newcastle

STM

I'm surprised you were that positive since you thought we should have stuck with Allardyce instead of taking a risk bringing Keegan back.

ChompGiven says - nothing wrong with wanting a bit of stability and it was a risky appointment imo.

Plus when i made that thread, it was an analysis of the fixture list and how poor west ham have been playing, not a statement that we are world beaters.

I'm surprised you were that positive since you thought we should have stuck with Allardyce instead of taking a risk bringing Keegan back.

...and you still maintain Owen isn't a good finisher.  :pow: ;)

I said he's not a World class finisher which he isn't.

Perhaps that's the difference between going to games and seeing some of the chances he misses compared to watching highlights over the Internet.

Perhaps that's the difference between going to games and seeing some of the chances he misses compared to watching highlights over the Internet.

Ooooh, handbags... ;)

Oooooohhhh!!!

I think its a game that could go either way, anything could happen.

These types of games though we seem to be getting luck in right now, WHU seem to not be, lets hope that continues.

Their fans sound depressed, that could work in our favour.

Most modern strikers miss alot of chances.  Name a better goal poacher.

Try digging the original thread up and you might have a clue what we're on about rather than jumping in without a clue.

Oooooohhhh!!!

I think its a game that could go either way, anything could happen.

These types of games though we seem to be getting luck in right now, WHU seem to not be, lets hope that continues.

Their fans sound depressed, that could work in our favour.

:shepherd:

Ruud Van Nistelrooy, tra-la-la-la-la.

Ooooh, handbags... ;)

He's all bitchy as i pointed out he proved nothing on the Parker / Barton question.

No one seems to have mentioned the fact half our old team is down there.  Not sure who is fit out of them, but can see them raising the game a bit for this one.

Still think we will have too much for them however.  The performance (i.e. not very pretty) was to be expected, better football at the weekend me thinks - and a win.  Win all our last games and that should see us finish above them and spurs.

Only Parker has been playing lately, Solano has made the odd sub appearance but that's it.

Try digging the original thread up and you might have a clue what we're on about rather than jumping in without a clue.

I know what you're talking about mate.  My point about Owen remains.  He said Owen wasn't a world class finisher.  He clearly is, just not his all round game nowadays.

I know what you're talking about mate.  My point about Owen remains.  He said Owen wasn't a world class finisher.  He clearly is, just not his all round game nowadays.

Being a World class poacher doesn't make you a World class finisher.

Might as well play him for 3 games though surely?

Plus, imagine the lift it would give the West Ham defenders in the dressing-room before kick-off seeing Carroll's name on the teamsheet rather than Viduka's.

I know, I'm agreeing with you.

He hasn't been great but I think the 4-3-3 works well with him as the head of it. I wouldn't have the same confidence in Carroll just yet. He wasn't at his best against Sunderland, but would you have the confidence in Carroll having the ability to do what Viduka did for the penalty for example?

Being a World class poacher doesn't make you a World class finisher.

True, but he is a world class finisher in my eyes. It depends what you classify as a World Class Finisher.  I would say it means you have converted a high percentage of your chances at international level against quality opposition and have a good games to goals ratio something like 1 goal every 2 games.  Both of which Owen has done.  Define what makes a world class finisher.

He hasn't been great but I think the 4-3-3 works well with him as the head of it. I wouldn't have the same confidence in Carroll just yet. He wasn't at his best against Sunderland, but would you have the confidence in Carroll having the ability to do what Viduka did for the penalty for example?

It's not just about having the confidence in him to pull off a trick, I just think we're at that stage of the season where seeing what a few of our fringe players can do wouldn't do us any harm since we don't have much to play for.

I'd be tempted to give the likes of Carroll and Edgar a start in one of our remaining games, just to give us a better idea of what they're about.