Mort: Taylor contract will be sorted

Dokko

Looked pretty weak today without Faye alongside. Dean Ashton ran riot pretty much as he liked tonight.

aye...was gonna take the win today but when i found out edgar was playing just laid west ham instead.

Looked pretty weak today without Faye alongside. Dean Ashton ran riot pretty much as he liked tonight.

Yep, turned Edgar inside out for the goal

Taylor has to take his share of the blame for the goal, he didn't even jump with Zamora for the header and let him have an easy flick on to Ashton.

We're desperate for some leadership in the heart of defence.

Taylor has to take his share of the blame for the goal, he didn't even jump with Zamora for the header and let him have an easy flick on to Ashton.

Exactly. Edgar could hardly be blamed for getting turned once the ball had bounced for Ashton who then produced a nice piece of skill to score.

Exactly. Edgar could hardly be blamed for getting turned once the ball had bounced for Ashton who then produced a nice piece of skill to score.

Fucking hell :lol:

Getting turned requires skill from the attacking player so credit goes to him if he can do it. Getting beat in the air just requires a centre half who can be dominated.

I'm not sure there was that much wrong with how he tried to defend it.

Once Ashton won the ball from the flick on Edgar stuck a leg out anticipating the shot, Ashton didn't shoot and took an extra touch wide before turning and putting the ball across the keeper into the opposite corner, Edgar tried to block that too thinking he'd shoot for the near post from that position.

I think it was a well taken goal rather than an error from Edgar, I'm not sure what else he could have done.

Not disappointed that Taylor is getting a new contract. He's alright but he isn't the 'answer'.

Having continuity at centre-back, even with a defender with relatively limited ability like Taylor, has reaped the rewards. Him and Faye have done well because they've been in there week in, week out. There's been talk of signing a new left-back, but if we're going to spend properly on bringing a defender in, it ought to be a centre-back. Taylor will always be a bit of a liability imo. Faye and another very good centre-back, week in, week out, could be so good for us.

(Faye's a bit injury prone aswell)

Once Ashton won the ball from the flick on Edgar stuck a leg out anticipating the shot, Ashton didn't shoot and took an extra touch wide before turning and putting the ball across the keeper into the opposite corner, Edgar tried to block that too thinking he'd shoot for the near post from that position.

I think it was a well taken goal rather than an error from Edgar, I'm not sure what else he could have done.

Edgar's positioning in the goal was crap, when you look at the replay you'll see that Edgar is good 5 yards behind our other 3 defenders when Zamora flicks the ball on, thus creating the 1on1 situation with Ashton.

He was too tight to him. Made it easy for Ashton to squirm away and get a shot in. Ironically, being closer to the attacker actually provided less restriction for him to get a shot away.

But, as you say, he didn't do masses wrong and i'm not going to slate the guy for his defending there. That was purely down to inexperience.

Edgar's positioning in the goal was crap, when you look at the replay you'll see that Edgar is good 5 yards behind our other 3 defenders when Zamora flicks the ball on, thus creating the 1on1 situation with Ashton.

But he didn't have any choice as when the long ball was played forward Ashton was on side, so he couldn't hold his line and try and play the offside incase Zamora didn't touch the ball as that would have left Ashton through unmarked.

Edgar is an inexperienced kid who has still to fill out. In this match I would have expected Taylor to be the dominant defender who would be responsible for keeping Ashton quiet. From what I've seen so far, Taylor needs a big dominant defender to do that, while he plays the secondary role.