Richard Dunne staying at Citeh

jimmymag

People need to forgot we aren't exactly the most attractive club at the moment, yet the amount of people on here who scoff at some of the players we have been linked with is ridiculous.

Aye, I've notcied the same set of black and white specs on some.  "Why wouldn't he leave club <x>? Outside the big four we're the best option OMG 52000 FANS WHO COULD SAY NO!?!?

SBR wasn't sacked just last week and we're not coming off the back of finishing 4th,3rd,5th; Souness, Roeder and Allardyce were in fact all employed here in the interim.  We don't have European football to offer and our recent standing in the game is somewhat less than sterling. 

That said we can still offer massive wages and Keegan.  So we'll see.

Absolutely true - some fans are living in Cuckoo Land about NUFC still being a big draw.

It will be tough enough even with KK on board - had we still had Allardyce etc it would have been almost impossible to compete with the likes of Spurs for top players - we have fallen a LONG way over the past 5 years and it will be a hard struggle to regain anything like our former status in the Prem.

Guest Knightrider

Diatta being released has made getting Dunne in just that little bit more important.  :undecided:

Diatta and Ramage being released paves the way for Dunne's transfer...

Diatta being released has made getting Dunne in just that little bit more important.  :undecided:

Personally I don't think releasing Ramage and Diatta has any effect on how much we need a centre half.

Guest kingdawson

I know I'm almost certainly in the minority here, but I've never rated Dunne, tbh. I know he's been Citeh's Player of the Season about 300 times, but whenever I've seen him he looks shaky and frequently makes bad decisions. A couple of seasons back, I had a nightmare about Bramble and Dunne being our centre-half pairing and woke up screaming.

I agree 100%. He's not a player i can trust to do a job on a consistant basis. Yes he's played well for City but he still seems quite clumsy and error prone to me. It must help him playing alongside Richards but if this is who we're getting to partner Woodgate, i'd be pisseddddddddddd.

Personally I don't think releasing Ramage and Diatta has any effect on how much we need a centre half.

Eh?  ???

Eh?  ???

Nothing players that didn't feature in our first four choices at centre half. Squad places better taken up by Kadar and Tozer. Meanwhile, getting another CB remains just as important, as our first four defenders lack a bit of leadership and composure.

Eh?  ???

Nothing players that didn't feature in our first four choices at centre half. Squad places better taken up by Kadar and Tozer. Meanwhile, getting another CB remains just as important, as our first four defenders lack a bit of leadership and composure.

Ah, right.

I know I'm almost certainly in the minority here, but I've never rated Dunne, tbh. I know he's been Citeh's Player of the Season about 300 times, but whenever I've seen him he looks shaky and frequently makes bad decisions. A couple of seasons back, I had a nightmare about Bramble and Dunne being our centre-half pairing and woke up screaming.

I agree 100%. He's not a player i can trust to do a job on a consistant basis. Yes he's played well for City but he still seems quite clumsy and error prone to me. It must help him playing alongside Richards but if this is who we're getting to partner Woodgate, i'd be pisseddddddddddd.

He would be immense next to Woodgate tbh.

West Ham United have tried to exploit the growing turmoil at Manchester City by making an offer of up to £6 million for Richard Dunne. Alan Curbishley's move to strengthen the centre of his defence was not thought to be a priority for the summer, but the West Ham manager appears to have lost patience with Anton Ferdinand, who has been made available for transfer.

West Ham have been encouraged that Thaksin Shinawatra, the City owner, is planning an extensive clear-out of Sven-Göran Eriksson's squad. The Swede's possible departure as manager and upheaval at the City of Manchester Stadium appears to have angered Dunne, who has attracted attention from Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur. The 28-year-old Ireland defender has a year left on his contract, which makes City's £8 million valuation inflated.

West Ham refused Ferdinand's request to leave Upton Park last summer, but they would be open to offers, with teams such as Newcastle, Portsmouth and Tottenham interested.

Curbishley has been given a small transfer budget, but wants to sign two full backs. Up to ten players could leave the East London club, including Luís Boa Morte, the winger, who has been booed by supporters.

After some criticism from fans, Curbishley has received backing from the board, which believes that he should be given the opportunity to show his ability when he can choose from a full-strength squad. However, Gianluca Nani, the club's Italian technical director, has earmarked Pierpaolo Bisoli as a potential future manager of West Ham. Bisoli came to prominence for taking Foligno, a little-known team, into the play-offs for promotion to Serie B, the Italian second tier.

City are a club in disarray as they continue their end-of-season visit to Thailand and Hong Kong with Eriksson firmly expecting that he will be dismissed when he meets the City owner.

Thaksin is preparing to offload not only the “dead wood” - players such as Andreas Isaksson, Darius Vassell, Georgios Samaras and Paul Dickov - but also many of last summer's signings, such as Rolando Bianchi - who spent the second half of the season on loan to Lazio - Valeri Bojinov, Javier Garrido and Geovanni.

Eriksson is already looking for a new job, but is understood to be ready to turn down positions with Benfica and Mexico, with a “much bigger job” believed to be in the pipeline.

The former England head coach is eager to have his fate resolved in a meeting that is planned to take place with Thaksin over the weekend after a farcical press conference in Bangkok yesterday, when the Swede and his players did not take questions from the floor owing to the sensitivity of their futures. Thaksin is likely to tell Eriksson in the next 48 hours that his services are no longer required - but even then he will be asked to lead the team into their match in Hong Kong next Thursday.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3941777.ece

£6m is a bit of a kick in the bollocks tbh. Aye, he's probably actually worth it in today's market, and i wouldn't be upset if we paid that much for him... but it's such a good opportunity to get a bargain out of somewhere. Still, i'm being a bit petty, a bit unrealistic. He is worth £6m so if that's what City are asking, go for it.

I think Micah has helped Dunne not the other way round.

BINGO.

From reading Man City forums just as many think he's the one that gets Richards out of trouble.

Richards isn't the smartest defender, he's is often out of position and dives in, Dunne keeps him in line.

Guest nufc_geordie

I think Micah has helped Dunne not the other way round.

BINGO.

From reading Man City forums just as many think he's the one that gets Richards out of trouble.

Watching this season Richards is an athlete but his positional sense as a centre half is terrible, he was exposed when he played for England alongside an unfamiliar partner. Dunne organises fantastically well and would easily be our best centre half if we signed him.

Mort & Veterre's, the latter being the deal closer, respective job performance should be heavily scrutinised if we're unable to secure Dunne's signature, if we have or end up putting a concrete bid on the table. With Keegan at the helm - ie. a manager whom Dunne admires & respects - we should in all rights be the frontrunners in this race. Provided that Ashley & Mort are prepared to pay the going rate, both in terms of the transfer fee & wages, this should be the most straight forward of the lot.

Along with our ill-fated moves for Modric & Woodgate if we lose out to either Spurs & West Ham, or whoever else for that matter, with this one - ie. Dunne - that will make our record 0-3, as far as being able to land Keegan's top targets so far.

If Dunne goes elsewhere, Mort should be hung for letting other clubs - who can accomodate Dunne's wage demands - getting the jump on us/getting the first deal splashed out on the negotiating table ahead us, as appeared to the case re- Woodgate & Modric.

Veterre's job performance, as a supposed deal closer, should be heavily scrutinised if we're unable to secure Dunne's signature, if we have or end up putting a concrete bid on the table. With Keegan at the helm - ie. a manager whom Dunne admires & respects - we should in all rights be the frontrunners in this race. Provided that Ashley & Mort are prepared to pay the going rate, both in terms of the transfer fee & wages, this should be the most straight forward of the lot.

Along with our ill-fated moves for Modric & Woodgate if we lose out to either Spurs & West Ham, or whoever else for that matter, with this one - ie. Dunne - that will make our record 0-3, as far as being able to land Keegan's top targets so far.

There is a chance Dunne will not want to come because of Barton.

From someone with your username, that is priceless.  ;D

Veterre's job performance, as a supposed deal closer, should be heavily scrutinised if we're unable to secure Dunne's signature, if we have or end up putting a concrete bid on the table. With Keegan at the helm - ie. a manager whom Dunne admires & respects - we should in all rights be the frontrunners in this race. Provided that Ashley & Mort are prepared to pay the going rate, both in terms of the transfer fee & wages, this should be the most straight forward of the lot.

There is a chance Dunne will not want to come because of Barton.

I don't see how that should be an obstacle, and it's unfair to indirectly label Barton as some sort of scapegoat if Mort & Viterre are unable to deliver. Ferguson was able create a healthy on-field co-existence between his two best attacking outfielders after one successfully had the other one sent off in a major WC match-up. It's about having a manager who can handle the situation effectively, what happens off the pitch stays there and 'career driven' players will recognise that as well, so i don't see this as a major issue standing the way.

I think you've come up with a bit of a convenient excuse to be used if Mort & Viterre are unable to seal this deal and some will drag this up, and they'll google the stories about Barton's previous indescretions and so forth, but at the endo the day that will make their record - ie. securing Keegan's inital major targets - zero & three and that record for a club of our standing is unforgiveable when you consider that we weren't exactly competing directly with the so-called untouchables - ie the top 4 - for these respective signatures, in particular the forrmer two.