Richard Dunne staying at Citeh

jimmymag

Anyone else expecting Pompey to struggle next season surely more expectations from there fans and plus the demands of europe and the fact that they are not as good as people are making out

Can anyone translate this?

I think they will struggle quite simple

Guest Chubby Jason

A small team like Portsmouth can only go so far given their location and small fanbase. I can't see them progressing further than where they are now, not when there are bigger clubs out there to challenge them with more financial clout like us, Villa, Spurs, Man City and so on...

Guest MaetihS

lol we are a very deluded bunch aren't we.

We haven't finished in the top 6 for some years and haven't done it back-to-back since about 2003/4. Finished in the lower half of the league more often than not in the last 5 years.

In the last 5 years we've been through about 5 managers.

Portsmouth have been doing well in the league for about 3 years now. Won the FA Cup are in Europe.

Spurs have been getting stronger and stronger for the same time we've been on the decline minus last year. They kept conceding goals last season and went some way to curb that by bringing in 2 good quality defenders. They have a young team and keep adding to it and a manager who is respected and known throughout Europe. Also in Europe this season.

Exactly. Good to hear more and more fans are as realistic as me.

We haven't finished in the top 6 for some years and haven't done it back-to-back since about 2003/4. Finished in the lower half of the league more often than not in the last 5 years.

Portsmouth have been doing well in the league for about 3 years now. Won the FA Cup are in Europe.

Spurs have been getting stronger and stronger for the same time we've been on the decline minus last year. They kept conceding goals last season and went some way to curb that by bringing in 2 good quality defenders. They have a young team and keep adding to it and a manager who is respected and known throughout Europe. Also in Europe this season.

Bet you're a blast in the pub before the match. Well if you'd ever been like.

Oh he's been to plenty, at the stadium of shite.

Guest MaetihS

Oh he's been to plenty, at the stadium of s****.

typical. denial are we?? :doh:

Guest MaetihS

Most boring WUM I have come across which is quite an achievement.

another one  :doh: too many deluded ones

Guest Heneage

I can see why Pompey are after him Campbell is getting old and with the added strain of Europe its gonna be hard problem is 2 into 3 just don't go.

I can see why Pompey are after him Campbell is getting old and with the added strain of Europe its gonna be hard problem is 2 into 3 just don't go.

Surely that's a contradiction? Unless you want them to sign players that aren't as good as the ones they already have and their fans go into a mass frenzy (Also known as the Diane effect)

Guest Heneage

Surely that's a contradiction? Unless you want them to sign players that aren't as good as the ones they already have and their fans go into a mass frenzy (Also known as the Diane effect)

Huh?

You've lost me.

Huh?

You've lost me.

You're saying 2 into 3 doesn't go but you're also saying they will have difficulties due to the added strain of Europe. The solution to that is to buy more players, as you alluded to, but short of them buying players worse than their current first 11 there's obviously going to be selection issues.

I'm certainly not denial no..  mackems.gif

Guest MaetihS

hope so for your sake from more disappointment :)

When we go through a shit spell are you happy or sad?

Guest Heneage

Huh?

You've lost me.

You're saying 2 into 3 doesn't go but you're also saying they will have difficulties due to the added strain of Europe. The solution to that is to buy more players, as you alluded to, but short of them buying players worse than their current first 11 there's obviously going to be selection issues.

Ahh yes. But my point is 2 will be main stays one will be back up.

Guest MaetihS

When we go through a s*** spell are you happy or sad?

Of course i am down... you would not want to be near me after we lost a match or played crap. But these days i am much calmer after finally acknowledging and recognising the fact that my expectation of the team (we are a top 6 club at least and that we are famous n big club) is simply unrealistic. After seeing the crapness after the Sir Bobby days, I become more and more upset cos i know we have really fallen behind our previous lesser rivals like Everton, Pompey and Spurs. I am perhaps one of the few who predict days of mediorcity when players like Dyer, Bells, Robert left and the retirement of Shearer cos i know these are the best we can have. People rave abt the new coming ins like Duff but i got stick saying we will be in for a relegtion scrap this season but was called names for this view; I was more right.  In any case, my upset turns to reasoning and finally acceptance that if i am not going to get disappointed i must face the truth. So i was delighted with our final position this season and performance in the last few games, even then, i am realistic of my expectation next season if no added quality players are made. Also, i was constantly upset by jokes from mates then, that i think my club is big and has a good squad.

Finally, i understand our standing in the game has fallen and do not expect big names unless they are in twillight of their years whats more now, we are not spending due to wage cost pressures. As such, i face the truth that getting back into Europe and become more famous is at least 5-10 years away cos in simple terms, even if we add 3 or 4 good players this seasons, our rivals are likey to do the same to already superior squads than ours. We can of course do a Chelsea and buy big and pay big, signalling our ambition and thus attract more and better players but this is impossible under the buiness oriented Mike Ashley.

So my expectations has changed to a more realistic one. I am given stick but just as irritated that these fans are deluded and asking for the impossible which will lead to disappointment and a hostile and unhappy crowd which thus lead to pressure on the squad. Would it not be better if we can create a vibrant and more suppotive crowd at St James if we lower our expectations or become more realistic? Would it not be that we wll be happy if we overahieve our realistic expectation and finish in the top 10 rather than moan and swear, creating a unpleasant environment for players and fans alike? I for one, do not expect any rising star/star signings but maybe a few unknowns who perhaps can surprise us, in fact i expect more departures to keep the wage bill down but hopefully that man is not Martins as i feel he is the only few top 6 quality player we have who also seem want to play for us.

Coloccini is pure quality and if I had to chose between him and Dunne...then I would take Coloccini...i think...

Coloccini is pretty much depors defence and has been that for years. And yes, I have seen him plenty off times and he has never played bad once.

When we go through a s*** spell are you happy or sad?

Of course i am down... you would not want to be near me after we lost a match or played crap. But these days i am much calmer after finally acknowledging and recognising the fact that my expectation of the team (we are a top 6 club at least and that we are famous n big club) is simply unrealistic. After seeing the crapness after the Sir Bobby days, I become more and more upset cos i know we have really fallen behind our previous lesser rivals like Everton, Pompey and Spurs. I am perhaps one of the few who predict days of mediorcity when players like Dyer, Bells, Robert left and the retirement of Shearer cos i know these are the best we can have. People rave abt the new coming ins like Duff but i got stick saying we will be in for a relegtion scrap this season but was called names for this view; I was more right.  In any case, my upset turns to reasoning and finally acceptance that if i am not going to get disappointed i must face the truth. So i was delighted with our final position this season and performance in the last few games, even then, i am realistic of my expectation next season if no added quality players are made. Also, i was constantly upset by jokes from mates then, that i think my club is big and has a good squad.

Finally, i understand our standing in the game has fallen and do not expect big names unless they are in twillight of their years whats more now, we are not spending due to wage cost pressures. As such, i face the truth that getting back into Europe and become more famous is at least 5-10 years away cos in simple terms, even if we add 3 or 4 good players this seasons, our rivals are likey to do the same to already superior squads than ours. We can of course do a Chelsea and buy big and pay big, signalling our ambition and thus attract more and better players but this is impossible under the buiness oriented Mike Ashley.

So my expectations has changed to a more realistic one. I am given stick but just as irritated that these fans are deluded and asking for the impossible which will lead to disappointment and a hostile and unhappy crowd which thus lead to pressure on the squad. Would it not be better if we can create a vibrant and more suppotive crowd at St James if we lower our expectations or become more realistic? Would it not be that we wll be happy if we overahieve our realistic expectation and finish in the top 10 rather than moan and swear, creating a unpleasant environment for players and fans alike? I for one, do not expect any rising star/star signings but maybe a few unknowns who perhaps can surprise us, in fact i expect more departures to keep the wage bill down but hopefully that man is not Martins as i feel he is the only few top 6 quality player we have who also seem want to play for us.

So what do you think our overall potential is? Why dont you speak about our club in terms of its potential rather than its current standings?