Richard Dunne staying at Citeh

jimmymag

We needs some early signings or this summer will be a disaster.

Incredible hyperbole IMO.

Everyone would prefer to get the players in on day one (including the manager and the club, I'd imagine), but it simply doesn't work like that.

why doesn't it work like that?  who says?  i see no reason why it shouldn't should a club wish to force an issue - arsenal have just done it with nasri haven't they?

Why didn't Arsenal sign him last week then? What took them so long?

The season finished a couple of weeks ago. Players, agents, managers, scouts; everyone either is on holiday or busy compiling their plans for the coming season(s). Common sense tells you it's just not possible to sign everyone you want in the first few weeks.

it's 2008, if you want to make a deal happen badly enough you'll make it happen (mobile phones and so forth)

as for why arse didn't sign him up last week i'd imagine it was negotiations and discussions - that they started well in advance in order to complete early...(!!!)

i was somewhat perturbed by the comments about the whole club being on holiday, it's no way to run a business man - EVERYONE clocking off at the same time for a break...why not make some KEY signings then have a break to assess what's left to do?  why not?

'cause they tell you it can't be done so you believe them as far as i can see

i think there is a lot of fear that the 'bowyer summer' will happen again when we really need to strengthen the squad, which i think richard dunne would do, he's a proven premiership player and we've spunked more money on worse defenders in the past, so providing we aren't going to have to pay a kings ransom for him it might be worth going in for him

The lack of concrete signings is disappointing, but it's in no way a disaster.

If we get to August and it's still the same, then that's the time to worry. Keegan, Ashley and Mort have all tended to keep their cards close to their chests in recent months so just because there's nothing in the papers doesn't to me indicate that we're not in the advanced stages of negotiations.

It wouldn't surprise me if the first we knew about a player signing was when we announced a press conference.

As for people (Toon's Taylor for one) saying that possibly Keegan thinks Smith and Duff are good enough... I highly doubt that. What do you expect him to do? Come out and state that he thinks they're sub-standard and wants them out? All that will do is massively reduce their value and our ability to sell them. Also, if things DO go tits-up in the summer and we can't get our targets in, then we have to play with players the manager has labeled unwanted and not good enough.

Again, I'm sure Keegan will be trying to get rid of the rubbish but it'll be done in private, not through the press.

The window hasn't even opened yet and already people are getting annoyed at the lack of signings. Impatient? Us? Hmm.

Nothing wrong with telling players you don't want to go look for other clubs publicly because if you do then clubs become interested and make offers. These are the kind of players though teams who don't get who they want in early will be chasing at the end of July and through August, but would still be nice to get them out, off the wage bill.

Publicly? Surely just alert all the clubs privately that he's for sale. Why make it public? What possible benefit will it being in the papers have over just telling the clubs themselves? (Other than the benefit to you, that you'd know we're trying to ship these players out!)

Everyone knows deep down that Smith and Duff aren't part of Keegan's plans. They weren't getting games last season, and we're looking to strengthen. Every manager in the league knows that and anyone who wants him will be likely to make the relevant enquiries, you don't need to publicly humiliate a player by announcing he's for sale and therefore dropping his value etc etc in order to try to get rid of him.

Everyone would prefer to get the players in on day one (including the manager and the club, I'd imagine), but it simply doesn't work like that.

why doesn't it work like that?  who says?  i see no reason why it shouldn't should a club wish to force an issue - arsenal have just done it with nasri haven't they?

The season finished a couple of weeks ago. Players, agents, managers, scouts; everyone either is on holiday or busy compiling their plans for the coming season(s). Common sense tells you it's just not possible to sign everyone you want in the first few weeks.

it's 2008, if you want to make a deal happen badly enough you'll make it happen (mobile phones and so forth)

as for why arse didn't sign him up last week i'd imagine it was negotiations and discussions - that they started well in advance in order to complete early...(!!!)

i was somewhat perturbed by the comments about the whole club being on holiday, it's no way to run a business man - EVERYONE clocking off at the same time for a break...why not make some KEY signings then have a break to assess what's left to do?  why not?

The evidence of previous summers and all the other clubs' activity suggest that's just the way things go when it comes to transfers.

PS - the bit in bold is hilarious. Arsenal are allowed to discuss and negotiate, but we're not.

How is that obvious?

Because the lack of activity is dangerously low.

You'd think we'd be trying to shift some of the s*** as well, but nothing is even being strongly linked out. Reckon KK thinks they are good enough, Smith, Duff and the likes of.

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

We needs some early signings or this summer will be a disaster. We'll end up chasing the dross and paying over the odds for s**** and we will go nowhere, again for another season.

we're on the same wavelength mate - after the "club review" and employment of vetere/jiminez i really expected an early concerted move in the market...an attempt to have players in place before bidding wars start/values increase etc...

i basically expected a break from the last decade of agent driven deals & last minute buys at high prices

not of that looks likely to materialise and it's disappointing should it happen as you describe

I don't think there's anything wrong thinking like we do, it just happens we know the club and how windows work while others bury their head in the sands and hope for the best. We all hope they are right, but past shows its us who end up calling the correct outcome and the club stalls for another season.

Just don't want it to happen again, and the longer this goes on, the more likely were the correct ones again.

i'm amused how people can't see that carrying on in the way we have for years, decades now isn't going to somehow magically end up with a different result this time!

hope is a wonderful thing a times but when it gets in the way of reality people need to have a think

summary of NUFC this summer is: we have players that need to leave the club due to high wages and underperformance; we need to strengthen the squad significantly and add pace/creativity etc...

i'll repeat the question i keep asking - how is waiting to move going to benefit the club (this is always assuming we're not working on multiple deals that the club have magically managed to keep quiet from everyone)?

I wish we could do things like the big clubs and talented managers, get their 1st teamer signings in before the window officially opens. Like Hargreaves, Nani & Anderson for Manu, get them in early so they can settle. Tevez was done by the start of August and to think about the complications that deal had to go through. Courts, about 4 clubs, 3 agents, Fifa, UEFA, probably one of the most complicated deals in history but SAF went for him as soon as the season ended, he knew what he wanted.

voicing that opinion just makes you a moaner though TT, complaining 'cause we haven't signed 11 players in may, as opposed to someone voicing a suggestion that might well be a massive benefit to the club in every sense

Dave:

I like the last line best, personally, when he believes that the WHOLE club are off on holiday.

I'm sure Llambias was just at the training ground on Tuesday for that Barry Moat investment thing. Bit of a shite holiday.

We started playing better and getting results with Smith and Duff out of the team. It wasn't the sole reason, but it wasn't coincidence either.

Flabbergasted that anyone can suggest Kevin Keegan won't have noticed this.

We started playing better and getting results with Smith and Duff out of the team. It wasn't the sole reason, but it wasn't coincidence either.

Flabbergasted that anyone can suggest Kevin Keegan won't have noticed this.

When they are gone i'll sigh with relief, until then i wait and wonder...

The evidence of previous summers and all the other clubs' activity suggest that's just the way things go when it comes to transfers.

PS - the bit in bold is hilarious. Arsenal are allowed to discuss and negotiate, but we're not.

not sure what you find hilarious dave, it was reported last week they were in discussions about signing the lad and a week later they did - to my knowledge such a report of a deal being at that stage for us hasn't been made? 

maybe i'm wrong (and of course because it's not reported doesn't mean it's not happening, i'm not an idiot) and we are in such discussions and the deals will be announced out of the blue like enrique etc...history suggests otherwise, and football tends to follow histroical patterns

By the way, how many other clubs have made signings so far?

About half a dozen? And it's not like there've been many moves that we could/should have been looking to make ourselves/had a chance of doing, bar Modric.

Nobody disagrees that it isn't ideal to sign players well before the season starts, but unfortunately like everything else in the world, things very rarely are ideal.

Fucking hell, we're at a slight disadvantage when comparing our pull to Man Utd aren't we? :lol:

They're a club that players genuinely WOULD crawl over broken glass to sign for, it's no surprise the likes of Fergie can get things sewn up in no time. He's probably having to actively dissuade players from trying to join.

How is that obvious?

You'd think we'd be trying to shift some of the s*** as well, but nothing is even being strongly linked out. Reckon KK thinks they are good enough, Smith, Duff and the likes of.

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

We needs some early signings or this summer will be a disaster. We'll end up chasing the dross and paying over the odds for s**** and we will go nowhere, again for another season.

we're on the same wavelength mate - after the "club review" and employment of vetere/jiminez i really expected an early concerted move in the market...an attempt to have players in place before bidding wars start/values increase etc...

i basically expected a break from the last decade of agent driven deals & last minute buys at high prices

not of that looks likely to materialise and it's disappointing should it happen as you describe

I don't think there's anything wrong thinking like we do, it just happens we know the club and how windows work while others bury their head in the sands and hope for the best. We all hope they are right, but past shows its us who end up calling the correct outcome and the club stalls for another season.

Just don't want it to happen again, and the longer this goes on, the more likely were the correct ones again.

i'm amused how people can't see that carrying on in the way we have for years, decades now isn't going to somehow magically end up with a different result this time!

hope is a wonderful thing a times but when it gets in the way of reality people need to have a think

summary of NUFC this summer is: we have players that need to leave the club due to high wages and underperformance; we need to strengthen the squad significantly and add pace/creativity etc...

i'll repeat the question i keep asking - how is waiting to move going to benefit the club (this is always assuming we're not working on multiple deals that the club have magically managed to keep quiet from everyone)?

I wish we could do things like the big clubs and talented managers, get their 1st teamer signings in before the window officially opens. Like Hargreaves, Nani & Anderson for Manu, get them in early so they can settle. Tevez was done by the start of August and to think about the complications that deal had to go through. Courts, about 4 clubs, 3 agents, Fifa, UEFA, probably one of the most complicated deals in history but SAF went for him as soon as the season ended, he knew what he wanted.

voicing that opinion just makes you a moaner though TT, complaining 'cause we haven't signed 11 players in may, as opposed to someone voicing a suggestion that might well be a massive benefit to the club in every sense

End of the day its a fact i'm not the most patient man in the world, but in the end of the day every window i've had a worry about i've been proven to have had good reason by the end of it. They get more vital everytime as well with over half the premiership better than us we cannot afford to slip away anymore, a bad window this time round will see KK sacked before the end of the season and the club fall into freefall, a good window would see him get another season, a fantastic window could see the revival were all praying for.

Am i wrong to worry how this one pans out?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather we spent a bit longer to make sure we get the right players in, than rush out and buy s*** like Duff and Smith based on their reputations. That's partly the reason we're in this position in the first place.

you're kidding with this last bit right?  we've had a scouting team in place and a new manager since january - if you're telling me they don't know their targets now then it terrifies me more than them not making any moves at all

if they do know the targets, as they must, then we're back to how does waiting (if they are indeed doing so) help the club or benefit anything/anyone?

Also will add that if it gets to September 1st and we find ourselves in another Sibierski/Rossi scenario then I'll be pissing and moaning as much as anybody.

I don't think it's asking too much to say "can we please wait and see over the next 3 months?", and it's not like it changes anything whether people complain about it or not!

I'm worried that we didn't get Modric, I'll not be pleased if we were actually in for Dunne and we've missed out on him as well, but I'll still be willing to see what our other options are before castigating anyone.

Fucking hell, we're at a slight disadvantage when comparing our pull to Man Utd aren't we? :lol:

They're a club that players genuinely WOULD crawl over broken glass to sign for, it's no surprise the likes of Fergie can get things sewn up in no time. He's probably having to actively dissuade players from trying to join.

Spurs seem to manage to pull in the players as well, but i really didn't want to mention them.

Spurs seem to manage to pull in the players as well, but i really didn't want to mention them.

They've only signed Modric (who we were in for) and Bostock, haven't they?

Who have they actually signed other than someone we were after?

The Newcastle United boss, like the rest of his Premier League managerial counter-parts, is currently enjoying a well-earned end-of-season break, but will tackle his transfer targets head on when he returns in a couple of weeks.

Blam, I win.

How is that obvious?

Worrying for me.

its very early days tbf

End of the day its a fact i'm not the most patient man in the world, but in the end of the day every window i've had a worry about i've been proven to have had good reason by the end of it. They get more vital everytime as well with over half the premiership better than us we cannot afford to slip away anymore, a bad window this time round will see KK sacked before the end of the season and the club fall into freefall, a good window would see him get another season, a fantastic window could see the revival were all praying for.

Am i wrong to worry how this one pans out?

the KK sacking part would depend entirely on the owners ambitions though IMO - if he enforces KK to take younger players and develop them then i doubt he'd be expecting europe...i reckon KK showed last season he's enough about him to get shite playing and taking points of the average/shit teams, therefore him getting sacked i see as very unlikely

but no i don't think you're wrong to be concerned, personally i'm not really i just have a strong opinion on how/when we should move for players...i've honestly thought from the start this window would be little more than average, time will tell

I don't know about you, but I'd rather we spent a bit longer to make sure we get the right players in, than rush out and buy s*** like Duff and Smith based on their reputations. That's partly the reason we're in this position in the first place.

you're kidding with this last bit right?  we've had a scouting team in place and a new manager since january - if you're telling me they don't know their targets now then it terrifies me more than them not making any moves at all

if they do know the targets, as they must, then we're back to how does waiting (if they are indeed doing so) help the club or benefit anything/anyone?

We were still watching players last week. There's more to signing a player than just pointing and saying 'that one'.

The Newcastle United boss, like the rest of his Premier League managerial counter-parts, is currently enjoying a well-earned end-of-season break, but will tackle his transfer targets head on when he returns in a couple of weeks.

Blam, I win.

A holiday already?

Fuk me 3 years out of work, a sample of EPL life and he needs a fuking holiday.

He needs to be doing everything he can right now to be getting the players he wants in not two weeks time.

Blam, I win.

i'm away now but i'll just say dave that 'cause the other clubs managers are on hols at the same time doesn't mean either ours has to OR it's in the best interests of our club (in our instance though i guess it'd be vetere/jiminez i'm referring to assuming they had the sense to identify targets weeks/months ago)

but then i'm just moaning about nothing i suppose...it'll all work out right in the end!

Guest Peter.Sthlm

Blam, I win.

A holiday already?

Fuk me 3 years out of work, a sample of EPL life and he needs a fuking holiday.

He needs to be doing everything he can right now to be getting the players he wants in not two weeks time.

You want him to work from January 07 to end of May 08 without any holiday at all?