Richard Dunne staying at Citeh

jimmymag

Guest MaetihS

doesn't matter how the other targets work out, Dunne should be our player, he's perfect for us. A very good CB and we shouldn't be losing out to clubs in shiteholes like Portsmouth

If he's that good why are 'shiteholes like Portsmouth' his best option?

that's what i'd like to know

Get real pls. As stated in my previous posts, Pompey is obviously a better proposition. If we are to compete for players with the likes of Spurs and Pompey, we will lose out as we are a lesser club. We are only big because of our crowd. It also these statements saying Portsmouth are shiteholes that make us butt of jokes for our constant delusion that we are great. Sad but true..but have accepted this fact long time ago. Btw, as revealed in an interview Utaka in France, he rejected us even though we offer higher wages cos he wants regular football but he did add, Portsmouth is a rising club while us yes he did say specifically in French, that we are a club going nowhere.

i see what you're saying, but you're not 100% correct - it would surprise me if any player chose pompey ahead of us in a one on one fight for him, only thing i could see swinging it would be some type of affiliation with redknapp or the geographical location (in Dunne's case maybe a hatred of Barton)

many NUFC fans (IMO) know that our club can ignite very quickly (perhaps like no other in the PL although that's arguable) and overtake these other clubs like pompey to challenge the top four if we get it right

my issue with that viewpoint isn't that it's wrong but more that the likelihood of us getting it THAT right THAT fast is very slim, very slim indeed...i think there are going to be some very disappointed NUFC fans after the summer and next season, there's simply too much to do at the moment

but to say pompey is a better proposition than us is a joke really

They are in Europe, that in its self can be enough for some players

if a player is short sighted enough to choose a club in europe for the first time in 'X' amount of years (ever?) over newcastle who've been in it a lot for the past decade plus and have won a european trophy then we're better off without them surely?

For the peaking players, it is understandable that they are short-sighted especially for a Prem league veteran like Dunne who can see we are not going to be a Pompey (in terms of Europe & silverware, stability, ambition, more quality players) in the next 3-5 years. Not saying that we cannot reach that standard but it takes time especially our huge spending days are over as well as difficulties in attracting good players. So i put my head, unless we are the only one interested in him, he is going to Spurs and Pompey, clubs that can achieve something in the short term rather than in a steadying-progress-ship like us.

doesn't matter how the other targets work out, Dunne should be our player, he's perfect for us. A very good CB and we shouldn't be losing out to clubs in shiteholes like Portsmouth

Get real pls. As stated in my previous posts, Pompey is obviously a better proposition. If we are to compete for players with the likes of Spurs and Pompey, we will lose out as we are a lesser club. We are only big because of our crowd. It also these statements saying Portsmouth are shiteholes that make us butt of jokes for our constant delusion that we are great. Sad but true..but have accepted this fact long time ago. Btw, as revealed in an interview Utaka in France, he rejected us even though we offer higher wages cos he wants regular football but he did add, Portsmouth is a rising club while us yes he did say specifically in French, that we are a club going nowhere.

i see what you're saying, but you're not 100% correct - it would surprise me if any player chose pompey ahead of us in a one on one fight for him, only thing i could see swinging it would be some type of affiliation with redknapp or the geographical location (in Dunne's case maybe a hatred of Barton)

many NUFC fans (IMO) know that our club can ignite very quickly (perhaps like no other in the PL although that's arguable) and overtake these other clubs like pompey to challenge the top four if we get it right

my issue with that viewpoint isn't that it's wrong but more that the likelihood of us getting it THAT right THAT fast is very slim, very slim indeed...i think there are going to be some very disappointed NUFC fans after the summer and next season, there's simply too much to do at the moment

if a player is short sighted enough to choose a club in europe for the first time in 'X' amount of years (ever?) over newcastle who've been in it a lot for the past decade plus and have won a european trophy then we're better off without them surely?

For the peaking players, it is understandable that they are short-sighted especially for a Prem league veteran like Dunne who can see we are not going to be a Pompey (in terms of Europe & silverware, stability, ambition, more quality players) in the next 3-5 years. Not saying that we cannot reach that standard but it takes time especially our huge spending days are over as well as difficulties in attracting good players. So i put my head, unless we are the only one interested in him, he is going to Spurs and Pompey, clubs that can achieve something in the short term rather than in a steadying-progress-ship like us.

run it by me again why spurs who finished just above us in the league and we have beat on the last 5 occasions are that far ahead of us ?

Guest MaetihS

Whilst I agree that NUFC HAS been a big club, we have to be realistic - clubs like Wolves & Sheffield Weds used to be big clubs, but a few years of bad decisions at top level finished them...it is POSSIBLE that they could be big clubs again, but at present, it looks unlikely...

If we are not careful. we could fall into the same trap - we are at a very delicate stage right now, and if we don't start to advance over the next year or so, we WILL fall behind other clubs in the top half of the table.

Football is like life - if you start resting on your laurels, you are finished ; nobody had decreed that NUFC should always be in Europe or a Top 6 club simply because of crowd, stadium, history etc...

ALL these things have to be earned and you should never stop  trying to improve.

Spot on

My view on Portsmouth is that they're over extending themselves, they've already hit the limit of how far they can go (over 90% of revenue going on wages :yikes:) and now they're passing it which is very unwise.  If they don't get Champions League Football next year they've got nowhere to go but down IMO.

The clincher will probably be whether this new stadium they're getting is filled week in week out or not.

Guest MaetihS

run it by me again why spurs who finished just above us in the league and we have beat on the last 5 occasions are that far ahead of us ?

Duh!!! my god, this statement is being short-sighted.

You realise most Spurs fans have lost faith with Comolli and his weird buying sprees??

Guest MaetihS

You realise most Spurs fans have lost faith with Comolli and his weird buying sprees??

I would rather be in their shoes with their weird signings and win a cup this season and in Europe. Further, has a "weird" coach who win things and beat us in signings like the not-so-good Modric and overrated Woodgate. On the midst of signing Spanish prodigy Capel. I would be not so down if we have half of this weird spending sprees.

I would rather be in their shoes with their weird signings and win a cup this season and in Europe. Further, has a "weird" coach who win things and beat us in signings like the not-so-good Modric and overrated Woodgate. On the midst of signing Spanish prodigy Capel. I would be not so down if we have half of this weird spending sprees.

So, you're a Spurs fan, then?

My view on Portsmouth is that they're over extending themselves, they've already hit the limit of how far they can go (over 90% of revenue going on wages :yikes:) and now they're passing it which is very unwise.  If they don't get Champions League Football next year they've got nowhere to go but down IMO.

The clincher will probably be whether this new stadium they're getting is filled week in week out or not.

Ah right didn't realise there was a new stadium coming.  No doubt that's what they're counting on then since there current ground is tiny, how much is it supposed to be costing them and when's it going to be ready?

Anyone remember who the last manager was to take over a team because of a poor start that had finished 5th the year before and still end up in the bottom half of the table?  http://www.toontastic.net/board/style_emoticons/default/scratchchin.gif

All this wages:turnover ratio means f*** all if a club has a rich benefactor. Like Chelsea. Or even Portsmouth.

Portsmouth are hardly comparable to Chelsea, they have a wealthy owner, but there's no indication he's willing to run the club as a charity..

lol we are a very deluded bunch aren't we.

We haven't finished in the top 6 for some years and haven't done it back-to-back since about 2003/4. Finished in the lower half of the league more often than not in the last 5 years.

In the last 5 years we've been through about 5 managers.

Portsmouth have been doing well in the league for about 3 years now. Won the FA Cup are in Europe.

Spurs have been getting stronger and stronger for the same time we've been on the decline minus last year. They kept conceding goals last season and went some way to curb that by bringing in 2 good quality defenders. They have a young team and keep adding to it and a manager who is respected and known throughout Europe. Also in Europe this season.

All this wages:turnover ratio means f*** all if a club has a rich benefactor. Like Chelsea. Or even Portsmouth.

Portsmouth are hardly comparable to Chelsea, they have a wealthy owner, but there's no indication he's willing to run the club as a charity..

Erm 90% of the revenue on wages seems to indicate that he's/them are in it for the long haul. Showing no signs of easing up either.

I didn't say they weren't in it for the long haul..  ???  I said they aren't going to run the club as a charity, I think they're running it as a business.

They'll be hoping that continued success, an even better league finish and new stadium will increase revenue significantly, wether it will or not we'll have to wait and see.

Guest ALNO1

and don't forget 'Arry had to sell Benjani in order to buy Defoe, so obviously their 'rich' owner isn't quite ready to just throw money at it

Anyone else expecting Pompey to struggle next season surely more expectations from there fans and plus the demands of europe and the fact that they are not as good as people are making out

Can anyone translate this?

Anyone else expecting Pompey to struggle next season surely more expectations from there fans and plus the demands of europe and the fact that they are not as good as people are making out

I'm not sure, but here's hoping! :)