Richard Dunne staying at Citeh

jimmymag

So competition for Faye then? Cant say id be too overwhelmed in that case, was hoping for a footballing defender, its what we're aching for.

i'd rather play him with faye and sit taylor on his arse next to given tbh

Cant play 2 defenders of the same style together it just doesnt work, like all partnerships througout centre of the team.

so we should play a good one and a s**** one instead?

aye, that'll work

No, we shouldnt play 2 defnders of the same style, i thought that would be clear from my above quote, here i'll put it in bold for you...

can you explain what the alternative is then?

playing dunne and taylor?

i'll stress again, we should play our 2 best central defenders, same style or not. if we were to sign dunne, taylor wouldnt be one of our two best defenders.

Address the real weakness in the defence and look to sign the type of defender we need, address your weaknesses before you address your position of strength, like i say i wont be too overwhelmed if this comes off.

Whats the point of playing your 2 best defenders together if they are unable to play together, it'd be like lampard and Gerrard for england....same concept different position.

you miss the point.

we are hardly overwhelmed with defensive talent at nufc incase you hadn't noticed, and we're not realy in a position to be picky about dropping a far superior defender (which faye is to taylor imo), for the sake that he is similar to richard dunne, who is also far superior defensively to mr taylor.

and, to be honest, i relay dont think they are all that similar, they are both big, thats about it, but dunne doesnt get caught out by many one on one and has a turn of pace, he also commands the back four/leads from the back.

can't say i've seen faye do any of these things?

You need to get the balance right, hence the already estabilished and prven combination of having a footballing defender and a wall defender. All i was saying was that i dont think that combination would work because they are too similar. Hence why id be underwhelmed because id rather get the footballing defender in.

One of them will be forced to not play his natural game and go into a role he's not comfortable with, that wouldnt make sense to me.

Cant play 2 defenders of the same style together it just doesnt work, like all partnerships througout centre of the team.

Sorry but thats a load of s***

So its purley coincidence that the best partnerships in teams or footballing centre halves with wall centre halves, DM and AM and Big man Little man combinations....?

You're right, it does sound like shit.

Perhaps he'll sign another centre half too, Fredbob?

If only to shut you up moaning about a player you've never seen pay.

Hold on, im sure all i said was i wouldnt be overwhlemed if we were looking to sign a player to replace one of our strongest performers in the team because they maybe wouldnt make a good partnership.

But well said big man, you really made me look stupid there... :rolleyes:

Hold on, im sure all i said was i wouldnt be overwhlemed if we were looking to sign a player to replace one of our strongest performers in the team because they maybe wouldnt make a good partnership.

But you've even said yourself you've never seen Dunne play so perhaps you should before judging if he'd make a good partner for someone or not.

Guest optimistic nit

a footballing defender can go to fuck tbh. we need a defender who can defend, end of. neither feye nor dunne are brambles, faye often played in midfield, both can pass a ball, and thats all i need really.

still quite doubtful about this mind, with no sources given, even if it is ssn saying it. come out of the blue. i wouldn't be suprised if its snowballed out of nothing tbh. however the blind optimist in me is already getting dunne on the back of next years shirt.

Guest VegasToon

I would be very happy with Dunne.  He is the type of leader I would want Taylor to learn from.  Now whether it happens or not?  I'll wait for official confirmation before I get excited.

But you've even said yourself you've never seen Dunne play so perhaps you should before judging if he'd make a good partner for someone or not.

Hence why i asked whether he was a Terry type defender or a Ferdinand type defender, maybe i was wrong to say "it wouldnt work cos you never no" but i always known it to be comon lknowledge that the best combination of defenders are the ones that compliments and neutralise each others weaknesses, ie the different type of defenders, if they have the same attributes then surely they'll have the same weaknesses.....

Makes sense in my head.

Hence why i asked whether he was a Terry type defender or a Ferdinand type defender, maybe i was wrong to say "it wouldnt work cos you never no" but i always known it to be comon lknowledge that the best combination of defenders are the ones that compliments and neutralise each others weaknesses, ie the different type of defenders, if they have the same attributes then surely they'll have the same weaknesses.....

Makes sense in my head.

I think that'd very true with striking partners and CM partners, but not so much with CB pairings.

As long as the both understand each other and communicate well any two types of defenders can hit it off, its just a bonus if you have two which complement each other like that, imo of course.

Guest VegasToon

One another note:  I would like to see Beye move to CB and have us get a speedier RB.  Now I love Beye, so please don't take this comment as a critism of him.

Guest optimistic nit

I'd be happy with Dunne and Faye as a pair. :thup:

content tbh

they're a top 8 pairing, we should be aiming for better

:lol:

Guest optimistic nit

One another note:  I would like to see Beye move to CB and have us get a speedier RB.  Now I love Beye, so please don't take this comment as a critism of him.

why? we have the best right back we've had in my time as a fan, and we move him out of his natural position. its not as if he's slow either, or lacking in the attacking department.

Makes sense in my head.

I think that'd very true with striking partners and CM partners, but not so much with CB pairings.

As long as the both understand each other and communicate well any two types of defenders can hit it off, its just a bonus if you have two which complement each other like that, imo of course.

:thup: Fair enough.

Not exactly a signing to set the pulses racing, but a very solid one.

Saw alot of him when I was living in Manchester, wouldnt exactly call Distin a footballing defender, but they were a great pairing. Could work well with Faye, also like the option of moving Faye up to DM.

KK certainly knows all about him and it would piss off my man city supporting mates no end. They wouldnt swap him for anyone.

content tbh

what, you would be happy competing with the might of Blackburn and West Ham next season?

content tbh

what, you would be happy competing with the might of Blackburn and West Ham next season?

I'd see it a step-up from where we've been, personally.

Would be a good signing if it comes off(see my post about Modric and waiting until its announced at a Press Conf..); a very good central defender, WAS excellent against Liverpool, but you cannot judge on one game - nevertheless, he has been fairly consistent and would be an improvement on what we have in CD.

The key point will be how much the club offer Man C - too little and it allows other clubs to jump in,too much and it defeats the object of trying to get a quality player at a good price because his contract is nearly up..

The worst case is that Man C talk him into signing another contract - hopefully, KK & Co have made contact with Dunne and he is on board with the transfer...

We'll see.....

content tbh

I'd see it a step-up from where we've been, personally.

absolutely, back to 2006 with Roeder. I was content with that, not happy

Guest johnson293

According to The Sun's story on this, if we sign Dunne, we will allow Faye to Join Blackburn.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1097758.ece

Not sure how true the Faye to B'Burn but is though - Though the Sun also reckon its a £6m swoop for Dunne!!!  :rolleyes:

Would prefer to keep him as back-up, or indeed as a partner for Dunne, as Taylor is still learning.

Agree.

content tbh

Agree again, but only if we stick with the same midfield. Put a good midifled infront of them and they're top 6 no bother.