Our rivals in 2008/2009

Dave

Villa -  Dull, possibly.  Unspired? With MON in charge? The score away to Villa?  They are a difficult team to beat.

Scored more goals than anyone except Man United this season. Not dull.

A traditional, quality winger in Ashley Young? Not dull.

The pace of Agbonlahor? Not dull.

Combined with the power of Carew? Not dull.

The passing of Barry? Not dull.

Currently in with a very good chance of finishing 5th, two years after having looked odds on for relegation, and not even having started spending properly yet? Not dull.

I admire your optimism, but you're just pretending other teams don't exist and not really providing any arguments to back up your theory. It was indeed a great result at WHL but by that measure, West Ham have beaten Man U the last three times they've played. All hail next year's champions from East London.

Everton dull and workmanlike? And fifth in the league.

It is a very competitive league and will get more so.

Roy Keane on sky sports news didnt exactly pledge his future to Sunderland. said he has one year left and will see how it goes. Maybe has his eye on another job?

Newcastle United:

1st in Division 1, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th, 13th, 12th.

That pretty much indicates how a club can quickly rise and fall. It often isn't a gradual process, in fact those that climb gradually one season tend to fall gradually the next, getting nowhere.

As I see things, us and Villa are the best placed to break into the top 4 next season. My league table was deliberately a bit silly, but one of the top 4 could easily drop down, we've all seen it before, and I believe we can capitalise.

We're not going to break top 4 next season, unless we get some amazing players in during the Summer.

I just think the other clubs are too good. Its all well and good us improving but the clubs around us will be doing just that as well.

I'd be delighted with top 6 this time next year. We should be aiming for top 8.

Villa -  Dull, possibly.  Unspired? With MON in charge? The score away to Villa?  They are a difficult team to beat.

Currently in with a very good chance of finishing 5th, two years after having looked odds on for relegation, and not even having started spending properly yet? Not dull.

I admire your optimism, but you're just pretending other teams don't exist and not really providing any arguments to back up your theory. It was indeed a great result at WHL but by that measure, West Ham have beaten Man U the last three times they've played. All hail next year's champions from East London.

Not really interested in what villa fans think, And you can cross Barry off, cos hes ganin to Liverpool :laugh:

Villa at the moment remind me very much of Robson's Newcastle. A Shearer would have you in the top 3 in my opinion. Villa should go all out for Villa, he could be the man for you guys.

Villa at the moment remind me very much of Robson's Newcastle. A Shearer would have you in the top 3 in my opinion. Villa should go all out for Villa, he could be the man for you guys.

I don't think scoring goals is actually a problem for Villa at the moment.

We're not going to break top 4 next season, unless we get some amazing players in during the Summer.

I just think the other clubs are too good. Its all well and good us improving but the clubs around us will be doing just that as well.

It only takes a Robert and a Bellamy at the end of the day. I'm certainly not going to be dissapointed with gradual improvement, but I wouldn't be suprised if things happenned otherwise.

It only takes a Robert and a Bellamy at the end of the day. I'm certainly not going to be dissapointed with gradual improvement, but I wouldn't be suprised if things happenned otherwise.

I don't think getting the equivalent of them would put us in that position either really.

No, but a top top striker would really change the dimension of the Villa team, allowing them to defend from the front much like we did with Griffin, bramble, O'Brien and Bernard in defence.

thought this was a newcastle forum,?

Ever tried reading it?

From the main page,

Football

Anything and everything related to Newcastle United. Non-NUFC football talk also welcome here.

And this is a thread about our rivals. That sort of implies talking about our rivals, not us.

It is. The thread is all about how people think NUFC will do next season and who may be our rivals next season. We're extremely lucky to have a few fans of other teams who give us their opinions about the same matter. :)

Ever tried reading it?

From the main page,

Football

Anything and everything related to Newcastle United. Non-NUFC football talk also welcome here.

And this is a thread about our rivals. That sort of implies talking about our rivals, not us.

Cant argue with that.

Im put in my place.

Although I agree Villa have had a great season. I don't think they are that close to the top 4. The gap is huge.

Villa will win the prize of 'best of the rest' in my view but it will take them more than one signing to bridge the gap.

I can uderstand what Centrepaddock meant by Dull and uninspiring, the football they have produced this is is far from that but the club itself, Aston Villa, is just so dull, they are so very fortunate to have Martin ONeill to be honest I think he is wasted there and would do a great job for one of the big boys such as Liverpool.

Ever tried reading it?

From the main page,

Football

Cant argue with that.

Im put in my place.

Actually the thread started out as a league predictor for next year, it received a name change in the title for some reason.

I think we're 3 players away from having a good go at top 4, I'm not saying we can get the players that we need but if we do then we can manage it.  Two quality midfielders and a quality replacement for Viduka and we could have a good go at the top 4 but we'll have to see who we bring in first.

Our current team could probably push top 8 over a season with Keegan picking the team.

I think we're 3 players away from having a good go at top 4, I'm not saying we can get the players that we need but if we do then we can manage it.  Two quality midfielders and a quality replacement for Viduka and we could have a good go at the top 4 but we'll have to see who we bring in first.

Our current team could probably push top 8 over a season with Keegan picking the team.

I think we are probably missing some quality and leadership at centre half too. But apart from that I agree. The problem we'll also encounter is the likes of Villa, Spurs, Man City and Everton will also improve as will the top 4.

No, but a top top striker would really change the dimension of the Villa team, allowing them to defend from the front much like we did with Griffin, bramble, O'Brien and Bernard in defence.

A goalkeeper (not Carson)

A right side midfielder (Milner would do)

A right back (preferably two - Nelson from Benfica will prob be one)

A left back (god knows who)

A goal scorer (god knows)

That's what we need to really push on next season.