Other clubs' transfers

Dave

find it abit strange barca have released him so easily after raving about him over the past few years in their youth set-up.

They tend to do it as soon as they think they can't cut it before anyone else realises so they get a few bob. 

EDIT:  Barca do not sell good players unless they have no choice.

Quaresma?

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada07-08/06/n080606104518.html

Giovani transferred to Tottenham Hotspur

www.fcbarcelona.cat

FC Barcelona and Tottenham Hotspur FC have come to an agreement for the transfer of Giovani Dos Santos to the English club.

The Mexican will sign for the club managed by Juande Ramos until June 30, 2013 for a fee 6 million euros plus another 5 million depending on the player’s appearances for the London club during his five year’s of contract.

FC Barcelona also maintain 20% of the financial rights to any possible transfer of the player during his first two years of contract and 10% on any transfer from his new club, Tottenham Hotspur FC.

Giovani dos Santos, aged 19, joined Barça in 2002/03 and joined the Infantil A (Under 15) squad, eventually making his first team debut in 2007/08, in which he has played an intermittent part in Frank Rijkaard’s first team.

sorry to bring this up again but i can se this being something that put Spurs in a better position than us to sign modric.

Aye, my understanding was that there was a sell on clause, and if a bid of so much was made within the first few seasons, Spurs have to accept it with Dinamo/Barcelona keeping a larger percentage of the profits.

For example:

Modric, Spurs sign for £16m. Club X bid £20m. Spurs have to accept. Spurs recoup £16m, Dinamo get £4m. Therefore Dinamo get £20m which is more than our £18m bid.

dos Santos,Spurs sign for £6m. Club X bid £10m. Spurs have to accept. Spurs recoup £8m, Barcelona get £2m.

Except you seem to have pulled the bit where Spurs have to accept a bid of a certain amount out of thin air.  The sell-on clauses with the Barca deal are documented on their site, but there's no mention of a minimum clause in his Spurs contract.

find it abit strange barca have released him so easily after raving about him over the past few years in their youth set-up.

They tend to do it as soon as they think they can't cut it before anyone else realises so they get a few bob. 

Quaresma?

Was gash at Barca.

Quaresma?

from wiki

'During the Euro 2004, he announced his refusal to play for Barça as long as Frank Rijkaard was in charge'

They had no choice.

Quaresma?

Part of the deal that took Deco to Barca wasn't he? Different circumstances really.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada07-08/06/n080606104518.html

www.fcbarcelona.cat

FC Barcelona and Tottenham Hotspur FC have come to an agreement for the transfer of Giovani Dos Santos to the English club.

The Mexican will sign for the club managed by Juande Ramos until June 30, 2013 for a fee 6 million euros plus another 5 million depending on the player’s appearances for the London club during his five year’s of contract.

FC Barcelona also maintain 20% of the financial rights to any possible transfer of the player during his first two years of contract and 10% on any transfer from his new club, Tottenham Hotspur FC.

Giovani dos Santos, aged 19, joined Barça in 2002/03 and joined the Infantil A (Under 15) squad, eventually making his first team debut in 2007/08, in which he has played an intermittent part in Frank Rijkaard’s first team.

sorry to bring this up again but i can se this being something that put Spurs in a better position than us to sign modric.

Aye, my understanding was that there was a sell on clause, and if a bid of so much was made within the first few seasons, Spurs have to accept it with Dinamo/Barcelona keeping a larger percentage of the profits.

For example:

Modric, Spurs sign for £16m. Club X bid £20m. Spurs have to accept. Spurs recoup £16m, Dinamo get £4m. Therefore Dinamo get £20m which is more than our £18m bid.

dos Santos,Spurs sign for £6m. Club X bid £10m. Spurs have to accept. Spurs recoup £8m, Barcelona get £2m.

Except you seem to have pulled the bit where Spurs have to accept a bid of a certain amount out of thin air.  The sell-on clauses with the Barca deal are documented on their site, but there's no mention of a minimum clause in his Spurs contract.

Exact clauses will be kept confidential, but fact is that the pargraph in bold points out that Spurs do not fully own dos Santos, and bears similarities to the Modric deal where there is very strong suggestion that Dinamo retained control of future transfer dealings.

www.fcbarcelona.cat

For example:

Exact clauses will be kept confidential, but fact is that the pargraph in bold points out that Spurs do not fully own dos Santos, and bears similarities to the Modric deal where there is very strong suggestion that Dinamo retained control of future transfer dealings.

"Spurs do not fully own dos Santos" - yeah, it's called a sell-on clause, and it's not like Spurs are the first team in England (or the Premiership, or anywhere else for that matter) to have one of those in their players' contracts.  I'd bet that a few of our squad have them from their previous clubs.  And I bet some people we sell (Shola perhaps?) have sell-on clauses that will benefit NUFC.  It's not uncommon, and it's not worth stating it in a melodramatic fashion that Spurs don't own his full transfer rights - that's correct, but it's just a common sell-on clause.  The point I was making is that you suggested that Barca would put a minimum fee release clause into GdS's Spurs contract: now while contract clauses are often kept confidential and we don't know if there is or there isn't one, to say that it's your "understanding" that he does have a minimum fee release clause is just pulling it out of thin air... unlesss you are privy to some inside info, how the hell do you get to that conclusion?

Guest kingdawson

www.fcbarcelona.cat

The Mexican will sign for the club managed by Juande Ramos until June 30, 2013 for a fee 6 million euros plus another 5 million depending on the players appearances for the London club during his five years of contract.

Giovani dos Santos, aged 19, joined Barça in 2002/03 and joined the Infantil A (Under 15) squad, eventually making his first team debut in 2007/08, in which he has played an intermittent part in Frank Rijkaards first team.

For example:

Spot on. James you said something about a minimum release clause before, NOT a sell on clause.

Quaresma?

Was gash at Barca.

And is doing really well at Porto - hence my point that just cos Barca are willing to sell GdS does not mean he'll fail at Spurs necessarily.

EDIT:  Barca do not sell good players unless they have no choice.

Quaresma?

from wiki

'During the Euro 2004, he announced his refusal to play for Barça as long as Frank Rijkaard was in charge'

They had no choice.

EDIT:  Barca do not sell good players unless they have no choice.

Quaresma?

Part of the deal that took Deco to Barca wasn't he? Different circumstances really.

Both fair points.

www.fcbarcelona.cat

For example:

"Spurs do not fully own dos Santos" - yeah, it's called a sell-on clause, and it's not like Spurs are the first team in England (or the Premiership, or anywhere else for that matter) to have one of those in their players' contracts.  I'd bet that a few of our squad have them from their previous clubs.  And I bet some people we sell (Shola perhaps?) have sell-on clauses that will benefit NUFC.  It's not uncommon, and it's not worth stating it in a melodramatic fashion that Spurs don't own his full transfer rights - that's correct, but it's just a common sell-on clause.  The point I was making is that you suggested that Barca would put a minimum fee release clause into GdS's Spurs contract: now while contract clauses are often kept confidential and we don't know if there is or there isn't one, to say that it's your "understanding" that he does have a minimum fee release clause is just pulling it out of thin air... unlesss you are privy to some inside info, how the hell do you get to that conclusion?

There is a sell on clause of 10%, but that is totally independent of the 20% financial rights which mean that Barca part own dos Santos for the next two years and therefore have some say over the dealings for that playerin a manner which is not likely to be made public. Same with Modric.

Have to say for that price he is well worth the risk..

6 million Euros? Are you kidding me?

However the way Spurs have been handling these young guys recently, he will probably end up like Kaboul, Boateng and Taraabt not to mention Lennon i.e. won't really amount to much.

Very good price though.

www.fcbarcelona.cat

The Mexican will sign for the club managed by Juande Ramos until June 30, 2013 for a fee 6 million euros plus another 5 million depending on the players appearances for the London club during his five years of contract.

Giovani dos Santos, aged 19, joined Barça in 2002/03 and joined the Infantil A (Under 15) squad, eventually making his first team debut in 2007/08, in which he has played an intermittent part in Frank Rijkaards first team.

For example:

Spot on. James you said something about a minimum release clause before, NOT a sell on clause.

I've said both before. Unless Modric and dos Santos choose to stay for X number of years, you don't own them and are pretty much a shop window club.

Guest shaun11177

Personally i would have been quite happy with these clauses if they had signed for us.

Iwould also be quite happy to have taken Tevez on loan or whatever the agreement was.

Guest kingdawson

www.fcbarcelona.cat

For example:

There is a sell on clause of 10%, but that is totally independent of the 20% financial rights which mean that Barca part own dos Santos for the next two years and therefore have some say over the dealings for that playerin a manner which is not likely to be made public. Same with Modric.

No i think you're reading it wrong tbh. The 20 % financial rights is for the first 2 years (meaning Barca will get a cut of any transfer fee agreed by us and the other party), and the 10% is after the 2 years, meaning Barca will get 10% of any transfer fee we receive on Dos santos after the 2 years. Dosnt mean they have a say in who he goes to or how much he goes for.

As for Modric, Dinamo said nothing about this on their official site.

www.fcbarcelona.cat

For example:

I've said both before. Unless Modric and dos Santos choose to stay for X number of years, you don't own them and are pretty much a shop window club.

Spurs do not have to accept any bid unless it is acceptable to Spurs.  Any involvement by a third party, whether it be Barcelona or Joorabchian, controlling the player's contract, isn't allowed under FA rules.  There is a 20% sell on clause for the first 2 years, there is a 10% sell on clause for the 3rd-5th years. 

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that - 3rd party influence over transfers is not allowed under Premiership rules (as with the West Ham case), and I can't see even Spurs being stupid enough to sign a deal which breaks these rules after the West Ham affair.  The bolded Barca statement reads to me as a 20% sell-on clause in his first 2 years, going down to a 10% clause after that.  (Btw, that's also how the BBC sees it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7440216.stm)

I think your opinions on these two deals are both based on the hope that one of our main current Premiership rivals haven't done two good deals rather than whatever the underlying truth might be.

Guest TyneToPlay

They keep buying great forwards but their defence is very poor. We thought we'd get smashed there because of their forward line but in the end we were the ones doing the smashing as their defence is dreadful. I'm happy for them to keep spending on forwards tbh. O0

They keep buying great forwards but their defence is very poor. We thought we'd get smashed there because of their forward line but in the end we were the ones doing the smashing as their defence is dreadful. I'm happy for them to keep spending on forwards tbh.  O0

If we start the new season with what we have now I would very much agree with you.  I think there are still another 4 or 5 still be signed up.

Quaresma?

He was terrible at Barcelona.

Apparently Derby paid £2.75M to 'loan' Ellington.  ;D

Total bollocks tbh. No club in the world would be that stupid.

£1.5M up front, £1.1M success based. So £1.5M...

Villarreal have agreed a deal to sign American starlet Jozy Altidore. We were linked with him a while back, looks a decent prospect.

Nice time machine. Where did you get it from?

Villarreal have agreed a deal to sign American starlet Jozy Altidore. We were linked with him a while back, looks a decent prospect.

Nice time machine. Where did you get it from?

HAHA.My bad, you want one, they are good?