Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Henry to Barça was a friendly transfer. You played hard to get but as you say Wenger wanted to sell him.

Actually the Chamakh transfer has probably more grounds for wrongdoing. Players and board venting out in the press is meaningless. You got that player for free after obviously agreeing to wait his contract out last season, screwing Bordeaux in the process.

And yes we are being pretty annoying with Cesc. But I think that's the only case of us being arsehats (and a big deal of it it's because we still consider him to be one of us, that's not our general modus operandi).

Arsenal poached him from our academy before we were allowed to offer a professional contract under our labor laws.

I'd pay what Arsenal want and present this to the governing body who ruled against you and sue them for the entire amount its cost you.

Yeh, but you still tapped him up publicly which isn't the right thing to do.

Arsene knows when to let a player go, unfortunately this is a rare situation where it seems the player wants to go before Arsene is ready.

Really though, you got like 28mil for a player that maybe had two great years left in him? Pretty good deal from Arsenal's side.

£28m? It was more like £16m i think

Also, i'm saying the Cesc deal isn't what Arsene wants, not the Henry one.

Honestly, apart from the Cesc saga, I don't think we haven't been cuntish in the transfer market (more like suckers).

That's all I'm saying too, I haven't seen much wrongdoing from Barca unless it's dealt with Cesc over the past few seasons.

Arsene knows when to let a player go, unfortunately this is a rare situation where it seems the player wants to go before Arsene is ready.

Really though, you got like 28mil for a player that maybe had two great years left in him? Pretty good deal from Arsenal's side.

Eh, must've been like 28mil Euro's.

€24m+addons, I don't know how many pounds it was at the time.

Guest kingdawson

Like Anelka?

Like Anelka?

Wenger wanted a new training ground.

Guest Heneage

The players Wenger bought using the Anelka money more than made up for selling a player who could have potentially disrupted the dressing room. Something I hope KD wouldn't try to contest.

Guest kingdawson

The players Wenger bought using the Anelka money more than made up for selling a player who could have potentially disrupted the dressing room. Something I hope KD wouldn't try to contest.

You do get that you're missing the point right?

Ash making out that Wenger sold Anelka "to fund the new training ground" is him trying to rewrite history. During the time Wenger fought tooth and nail to keep him but Anelka wanted out. Wenger made it as difficult as he possibly could for Anelka to leave.

Guest Heneage

Ash making out that Wenger sold Anelka "to fund the new training ground" is him trying to rewrite history. During the time Wenger fought tooth and nail to keep him but Anelka wanted out. Wenger made it as difficult as he possibly could for Anelka to leave.

But he was contracted to Arsenal...

Not disagreeing with you but surely that forced his fee up a little bit? Make as much of a fuss as possible and the buying club need 2 or 3 bids to eventually get him.

Common sense surely? ???

Guest kingdawson

Not disagreeing with you but surely that forced his fee up a little bit? Make as much of a fuss as possible and the buying club need 2 or 3 bids to eventually get him.

Common sense surely? ???

No he wanted to keep him. Countless interviews about how he could be the worlds best, giving him starts at 18/19 years of age, Starting him in important games (fa cup final) ect ect. Wenger loved him and thought he was the future of Arsenal FC. Sadly for him Anelka wanted out.

Yes it worked out in the long run but to suggest Wenger always had it in his mind to sell to "fund a new training ground" is a steaming load of horse s***.

Guest kingdawson

But he was contracted to Arsenal...

You've missed the point again and i'm beginning to think you're doing it purposely so i'll just reply by saying ok.

Just how good is Felipe Luis?

Sven is a nothing manager without cash.

But what do you base this on though? His knowledge and experience of worldwide football is far better and I'm sure he'd be able to get better players than Hughes on any budget. To me the difference in class between Sven and Hughes is massive. Had Man City kept Sven once the Arab owners took over, rather than getting Hughes in, I believe they would have achieved that top four finish by now.

I think you're living in the past.

Sven isn't a good manager anymore (and his biggest success was achieved with a blank cheque book at Lazio anyway)

Mark hughes is a cunt of a person but Fulham will be nowhere near relegation under him.

Just how good is Felipe Luis?

If he's anything like Football Manager he's a god.

and regarding the Anelka thing, obviously, as with the Cesc situation, if you say yes we will sell, it completely weakens your hand in the negotiations, so you have to say no.

Also, the training ground was an insurance job from Arsene  :pow:

Sven is a nothing manager without cash.

But what do you base this on though? His knowledge and experience of worldwide football is far better and I'm sure he'd be able to get better players than Hughes on any budget. To me the difference in class between Sven and Hughes is massive. Had Man City kept Sven once the Arab owners took over, rather than getting Hughes in, I believe they would have achieved that top four finish by now.

I think you're living in the past.

Sven isn't a good manager anymore (and his biggest success was achieved with a blank cheque book at Lazio anyway)

Mark hughes is a cunt of a person but Fulham will be nowhere near relegation under him.

His biggest success was surely winning the Uefa Cup with a bankrupt Swedish team, the cheque book couldn't even afford the travel expenses so the supporters paid for it ... And he got the Lazio job based on excellent work at Sampdoria despite the owner selling his best players every season, also one look at the transfer record list will show he wasn't the only one with a blank cheque book in Italy 10 years ago.

The only real bad mark on his record is Mexico but that would be an impossible job for anyone who doesn't speak spanish. His last club job was good, better than Hughes' effort who managed to somehow finish lower despite spending over twice as much and unlike Sven starting with a team of more than 10 players, a chairman and a pre season.

He's obviously chasing money these days but like Hodgson, his basic coaching skills would see him rise above the likes of Pulis, and Bruce who clog up the bottom half.

Mark Hughes is not a bad manager, what exactly do you have against him?

Mark Hughes is uninspiring. Just another get stuck in and bully them nitwit manager. That Fulham team isn't built like that at all either. Watch him try to bring in a few brutes with any money he has. Sven would have been far better placed to continue building on the type of football Hodgson had implemented. Hughes will take them back to the dark ages.

I know you're pretty thick, but that's mental. Ever see Blackburn under Hughes?Not always the prettiest but the best football they've played for a long, long time by the time he left and he got them top six with fuck all money. Not seen many managers have a better transfer record under a similar budget than he did there, really brought in the brutes like Bentley, Warnock, McCarthy, Bellamy, Dunn, Santa Cruz etc.

Mark Hughes is not a bad manager, what exactly do you have against him?

Mark Hughes is uninspiring. Just another get stuck in and bully them nitwit manager. That Fulham team isn't built like that at all either. Watch him try to bring in a few brutes with any money he has. Sven would have been far better placed to continue building on the type of football Hodgson had implemented. Hughes will take them back to the dark ages.

I know you're pretty thick, but that's mental. Ever see Blackburn under Hughes?Not always the prettiest but the best football they've played for a long, long time by the time he left and he got them top six with f*** all money. Not seen many managers have a better transfer record under a similar budget than he did there, really brought in the brutes like Bentley, Warnock, McCarthy, Bellamy, Dunn, Santa Cruz etc.

Who are you calling thick?  :lol:

This thread isn't going anywhere and I will be proved right. You watch and see what the Fulham fans think of his 'progressive' football. Hughes is going to bomb at Fulham. He is nowhere near the quality of manager that Sven is. It's embarrassing to even make the comparison.

Guest firetotheworks

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Hughes, Kaka. You've obviously got some kind of personal problem with him.

During his spell in charge of Blackburn, Hughes' side was accused of being "over-physical" and "dirty" on multiple occasions and the club finished bottom of the Premier League disciplinary table in all four of Hughes' seasons in charge.

He did make some key signings at Blackburn, and some of these players did occassionally produce decent stuff, however, the over riding style of football was definitely bullying and bashing. We'll see what happens at Fulham. They currently do not have the players who are going to put in the kind of 'committment' he will be after. Let's see what he pulls off, and which players he gets in.