Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Guest neesy111

I used to not understand:

if he's so unbelieavably fast, why not just put the ball over the top and he'll bea the defenders to it.

He never seemed THAT fast.

He was fast, if he had the intelligence to actually know what he was doing on a footballing pitch as for 95% of the time he didn't.

I used to not understand:

if he's so unbelieavably fast, why not just put the ball over the top and he'll bea the defenders to it.

He never seemed THAT fast.

Was it the Carrol 1-1 away Stoke match he supposedly faked injury? I don't remember that.

As Neesy said he didn't have the brain to read the game and make the runs your Bellamy's etc. do. You had to put the ball at his feet before he could start motoring.

As for his injury against Stoke: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6082465.ece

the feigned injury stuff is bollocks, shearer wasn't pissed off at that but at Martins leaving it so late to announce his injury (perhaps because he wanted to play). sadly it was another example of shearer ballsing up a situation due to inexperience as a manager. if you remember in the next games it was patently obvious he was injured and yet he still played with that injury, and pretty much single handidly won the match for us vs Boro. credit to him when, like owen for example, he could've wimped out. owen's lack of integrity and effort in the last half of that season makes him my most hated ex-nufc player.

mind you seeing Martins recently he looks finished - maybe the age rumours had a grain of truth to them. surprised Birmingham don't go back for Benitez, they were a far better side with him, and Martins doesn't have as much to his game as chucho.

the feigned injury stuff is bollocks, shearer wasn't pissed off at that but at Martins leaving it so late to announce his injury (perhaps because he wanted to play). sadly it was another example of shearer ballsing up a situation due to inexperience as a manager. if you remember in the next games it was patently obvious he was injured and yet he still played with that injury, and pretty much single handidly won the match for us vs Boro. credit to him when, like owen for example, he could've wimped out. owen's lack of integrity and effort in the last half of that season makes him my most hated ex-nufc player.

mind you seeing Martins recently he looks finished - maybe the age rumours had a grain of truth to them. surprised Birmingham don't go back for Benitez, they were a far better side with him, and Martins doesn't have as much to his game as chucho.

He faked injury on several occasions, starting way back when Allardyce arrived and tried to play him as a winger. Under Kinnear he only turned up for training when he fancied it and had a habit of suddenly claiming he was injured. He wasn't adverse to Lazarus like recoveries either. The Shearer thing was the last and most public example of Martins claiming he was injured.

As I've said he's comparable with Owen in my eyes. Both picked up huge amount of cash, both cared little about the club or fans while putting in subpar performances. The fact he was a bit of a character shouldn't detract from the fact he's not only a horrific footballer but a mercenary too.

I liked Oba and don't like the thought of him playing for another team in the Prem. Frustrating player obviously, but entertaining nonetheless.

After his performance in our first leg against Alkmaar I was certain he was going to develop into one of the best players in the world. He was outrageous in that game.

Guest Stephen927

Ameobi ahead of him for Nigeria and Birmingham tried to buy him before settling for him.

We got good money back for him but his complete lack of effort or desire in the relegation season rankles with me.

Guest neesy111

God Birmingham are spunking some money around on absolute shite.  £3.5 Million on Curtis Davies now.  So villa have lost £5.5M on him.  Another great Martin O'neill signing.

Guest bmoregeordie

i don't write off all of the players from 08-09 who left, and i think it's daft to paint them all with the same brush. some were sold off.

martins was certainly not the smartest player on the pitch, but i don't remember him giving less effort than others. i questioned every player on that pitch that season, including the now-sainted barton. none of us know the real story of how/why he left.

that being said, i'd be hesitant to take him back on the side. this group is cohesive, and he could upset the apple cart for sure, given that i'm sure not even all the players know how/why he left either.

too bad. because his talent is a potentially good fit here. there's no denying his pace, and his goal-scoring rate - while not ideal - puts to bed the notion that he showed up once every 10 matches. he would certainly force defenders to pay him more mind than any of our other current options upfront, and once carroll returns, martins' presence would give him much more room to operate.

Edit to Add: And he's on an inexpensive loan. Good low-risk high-reward move by Birmingham.

Guest neesy111

i don't write off all of the players from 08-09 who left, and i think it's daft to paint them all with the same brush. some were sold off.

martins was certainly not the smartest player on the pitch, but i don't remember him giving less effort than others. i questioned every player on that pitch that season, including the now-sainted barton. none of us know the real story of how/why he left.

that being said, i'd be hesitant to take him back on the side. this group is cohesive, and he could upset the apple cart for sure, given that i'm sure not even all the players know how/why he left either.

too bad. because his talent is a potentially good fit here. there's no denying his pace, and his goal-scoring rate - while not ideal - puts to bed the notion that he showed up once every 10 matches. he would certainly force defenders to pay him more mind than any of our other current options upfront, and once carroll returns, martins' presence would give him much more room to operate.

Edit to Add: And he's on an inexpensive loan. Good low-risk high-reward move by Birmingham.

The same pace he never ever used, and take apart his goal-scoring record from the 1st season it's quite bad.  his injury record while at NUFC was shocking.  You can question his attitude as many of a time I've seen him not ever chase or close down balls and generally look like he would rather be in Tiger Tiger than on a football pitch.

He went AWOL v Watford, feigned injury on multiple occasions and turned up to training went he felt like it.  All this while being paid 80k a week, not defendable imo.

Guest neesy111

They'll be paying his wages which will be quite high still.

Guest neesy111

Even José Enrique wanted away back then.

I think a few NUFC fans would have been happy for the whole squad to have fucked off back then.

Even José Enrique wanted away back then.

nahh.. Jose has always been loyal :smitten:

Not really, there are quotes from that time of him saying that he wanted to move. Mostly because of the mess you were in, and the lack of ownership and manager.

My point is that players jumping ship at the time is something that I wouldn't hold against them.

Guest bmoregeordie

The same pace he never ever used, and take apart his goal-scoring record from the 1st season it's quite bad.  his injury record while at NUFC was shocking.  You can question his attitude as many of a time I've seen him not ever chase or close down balls and generally look like he would rather be in Tiger Tiger than on a football pitch.

He went AWOL v Watford, feigned injury on multiple occasions and turned up to training went he felt like it.  All this while being paid 80k a week, not defendable imo.

1. good point on the injuries. that's another mark against him.

2. whatever. he used his pace plenty.

3. we could pick out many bad moments from players currently with the side.

4. i don't want him back. but he's a great low-risk flier for a club like birmingham. they need a spark, and he should be motivated to show well on this loan. i'd say the odds are 1 in 3 he does.

Guest neesy111

The same pace he never ever used, and take apart his goal-scoring record from the 1st season it's quite bad.  his injury record while at NUFC was shocking.  You can question his attitude as many of a time I've seen him not ever chase or close down balls and generally look like he would rather be in Tiger Tiger than on a football pitch.

4. i don't want him back. but he's a great low-risk flier for a club like birmingham. they need a spark, and he should be motivated to show well on this loan. i'd say the odds are 1 in 3 he does.

That is your opinion, my opinion of him is bad especially in his last season.  I think Jerome is better than him tbh as well.

Guest neesy111

i don't remember colo wanting to leave. but could be selective memory.

Colo didn't want to leave as he was on stupid wages as well, (no relegation clauses thanks to Ashley and Llambias).

Guest neesy111

Even José Enrique wanted away back then, you really looked a downright mess during preseason 2009 so I wouldn't really fault players leaving.

It's not who wanted to leave, it's who played and acted like they didn't want to be there. Martins was one of many.

Many of big wages were of-course very happy to stay despite the relegation which showed their true spirits and ambitions.

1. Especially when many were of a dubious nature.

2. No he didn't, that's why he rarely scored or even found himself one on one.

3. Moot point.

4. Depends how much he costs them in wages and whether Birmingham's nightlife is as good as ours.