Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Even José Enrique wanted away back then, you really looked a downright mess during preseason 2009 so I wouldn't really fault players leaving.

It's not who wanted to leave, it's who played and acted like they didn't want to be there. Martins was one of many.

That's fair enough, I wasn't around following you back then so won't judge Martins' commitment (looked pants the few games I saw though).

Even José Enrique wanted away back then.

nahh.. Jose has always been loyal :smitten:

Not really, there are quotes from that time of him saying that he wanted to move. Mostly because of the mess you were in, and the lack of ownership and manager.

My point is that players jumping ship at the time is something that I wouldn't hold against them.

its how they reacted though, some (ie the guys we have now) reacted with maturity and came into the season with a point to prove and turned general opinion of themselves from load of fucking shite players to one of the most well liked group of players we've had. Others just bailed out though in obas case can't blame him a chance to move to a cl club like wolfsburg were doesn't come around every day and it was a good offer as i recall

the feigned injury stuff is bollocks, shearer wasn't pissed off at that but at Martins leaving it so late to announce his injury (perhaps because he wanted to play). sadly it was another example of shearer ballsing up a situation due to inexperience as a manager. if you remember in the next games it was patently obvious he was injured and yet he still played with that injury, and pretty much single handidly won the match for us vs Boro. credit to him when, like owen for example, he could've wimped out. owen's lack of integrity and effort in the last half of that season makes him my most hated ex-nufc player.

mind you seeing Martins recently he looks finished - maybe the age rumours had a grain of truth to them. surprised Birmingham don't go back for Benitez, they were a far better side with him, and Martins doesn't have as much to his game as chucho.

He faked injury on several occasions, starting way back when Allardyce arrived and tried to play him as a winger. Under Kinnear he only turned up for training when he fancied it and had a habit of suddenly claiming he was injured. He wasn't adverse to Lazarus like recoveries either. The Shearer thing was the last and most public example of Martins claiming he was injured.

As I've said he's comparable with Owen in my eyes. Both picked up huge amount of cash, both cared little about the club or fans while putting in subpar performances. The fact he was a bit of a character shouldn't detract from the fact he's not only a horrific footballer but a mercenary too.

just to clear up the bollocks once and for all - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6108134.ece

A scan on Martins’s groin has revealed that “there is something not right in there,” Shearer said, and although the forward is rated increasingly unlikely to be fit for Sunday’s match away to Tottenham Hotspur, the club are hoping that he will make himself available for the five games that follow.

“We have a few different scenarios with Oba,” Shearer said. “One, an operation; two, an injection; three, rest; and four, play through the pain barrier. We know what we want him to do, it is just a case of how much pain that will cause him.”

suppose you think he faked the groin scan, too.  :iamatwat: as we know, he decided to play through the pain barrier in the remaining games, so he deserves some credit for that, not libellous shite about "faking" an injury.

the feigned injury stuff is bollocks, shearer wasn't pissed off at that but at Martins leaving it so late to announce his injury (perhaps because he wanted to play). sadly it was another example of shearer ballsing up a situation due to inexperience as a manager. if you remember in the next games it was patently obvious he was injured and yet he still played with that injury, and pretty much single handidly won the match for us vs Boro. credit to him when, like owen for example, he could've wimped out. owen's lack of integrity and effort in the last half of that season makes him my most hated ex-nufc player.

mind you seeing Martins recently he looks finished - maybe the age rumours had a grain of truth to them. surprised Birmingham don't go back for Benitez, they were a far better side with him, and Martins doesn't have as much to his game as chucho.

He faked injury on several occasions, starting way back when Allardyce arrived and tried to play him as a winger. Under Kinnear he only turned up for training when he fancied it and had a habit of suddenly claiming he was injured. He wasn't adverse to Lazarus like recoveries either. The Shearer thing was the last and most public example of Martins claiming he was injured.

As I've said he's comparable with Owen in my eyes. Both picked up huge amount of cash, both cared little about the club or fans while putting in subpar performances. The fact he was a bit of a character shouldn't detract from the fact he's not only a horrific footballer but a mercenary too.

just to clear up the bollocks once and for all - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6108134.ece

A scan on Martins’s groin has revealed that “there is something not right in there,” Shearer said, and although the forward is rated increasingly unlikely to be fit for Sunday’s match away to Tottenham Hotspur, the club are hoping that he will make himself available for the five games that follow.

“We have a few different scenarios with Oba,” Shearer said. “One, an operation; two, an injection; three, rest; and four, play through the pain barrier. We know what we want him to do, it is just a case of how much pain that will cause him.”

suppose you think he faked the groin scan, too.  :iamatwat: as we know, he decided to play through the pain barrier in the remaining games, so he deserves some credit for that, not libellous shite about "faking" an injury.

I can only tell you what I know to be true and that is that he faked injury several times before in a similar fashion. I'm still dubious as to the extent of the above one if not the legitimacy and I know people at the club were too.

Please remember this is a man who lied about being the victim of drive by shooting for little or no apparent reason.

Guest neesy111

suppose you think he faked the groin scan, too.  :iamatwat: as we know, he decided to play through the pain barrier in the remaining games, so he deserves some credit for that, not libellous shite about "faking" an injury.

I can only tell you what I know to be true and that is that he faked injury several times before in a similar fashion. I'm still dubious as to the extent of the above one if not the legitimacy and I know people at the club were too.

Please remember this is a man who lied about being the victim of drive by shooting for little or no apparent reason.

Also walked out on a team after being named on the subs bench.

Fact is we paid £10M for Martins and £80k a week for his services, we got 35 goals (quite a few in europe mind) in 3 seasons.  Not a good return I would say at all, nevermind his off the field antics.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-agree-suarez-deal

Liverpool Football Club announced this afternoon that they had agreed a fee of up to 26.5million Euros with Ajax for the transfer of Luis Suarez, subject to the completion of a medical.

The Club have now been given permission by Ajax to discuss personal terms with the player and his representatives.

Why has he not got gloves in the pic?

Probably more comfortable without them on, there's no need to catch the ball in a pen shootout, just parry it.

I don't know, harder to smother a ball without gloves. But it obviously worked for him.

The thought that Darius Vassell played in an Euro quarter final :lol:

Always apprehensive about strikers coming from Holland, after some recent big money signings have turned out to be flops (Kezman, Alves, Huntelaar, Tomasson etc) but then Kluivert can be used as an example of leaving Holland and achieving better things

Guest Roger Kint

Always apprehensive about strikers coming from Holland, after some recent big money signings have turned out to be flops (Kezman, Alves, Huntelaar, Tomasson etc) but then Kluivert can be used as an example of leaving Holland and achieving better things

Tomasson with 52 int goals in 112 games? Decent record for Milan too, just as many successes as failures over the years tbh