Keegan on breaking into the top four, and fifth as a target next year

hakka

Here's what I read in my tea leaves, or maybe it was my toilet bowl, I'm not too sure:

I don't buy all this we're always going to be crap bullshit that some people are coming out with, my take on it is that Keegan's simply being his usual self and a large part of that is calling a spade a spade and being honest about the gulf in class between us and Chelsea. However, it's also part of Keegan's usual self to apply a little bit of subtle pressure to those holding the purse-strings if he feels the need - he's done it before, he'll do it again - and I reckon that there might be an aspect of him calling Ashley's bluff a little with that comment about "if the owner thinks we're going to have the money to compete with the likes of Chelsea, then he's wrong", or however he phrased it. I think he might still be a little upset about missing out on Modric and maybe he's giving Ashley the message that if he wants to compete quickly with the big[ish]-boys, rather than for it to be a gradual process then he's going to have to spend some serious cash securing the likes of Modric by blowing the competition out of the water money-wise seeing as we can't compete in other areas at the moment. I don't think there's any serious issues behind the scenes, this is just the equivalent to what happened with the money for Killer last time. He's saying put your money where your mouth is Mike.

I think he suspects and perhaps has experienced that Mort and Ashers are a little in fantasy land and this is his way of bringing some reality to the situation...I agree with the tone of what you're saying if that is what you're saying.

Hello, Parky.

*wink*

Wink indeed.

Remember this?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=39833.msg818376#msg818376

Can you send the winnings here?

http://www.acorns.org.uk/?pageid=Donate

Good man.

No worries, how much was it?

Here's what I read in my tea leaves, or maybe it was my toilet bowl, I'm not too sure:

I don't buy all this we're always going to be crap bullshit that some people are coming out with, my take on it is that Keegan's simply being his usual self and a large part of that is calling a spade a spade and being honest about the gulf in class between us and Chelsea. However, it's also part of Keegan's usual self to apply a little bit of subtle pressure to those holding the purse-strings if he feels the need - he's done it before, he'll do it again - and I reckon that there might be an aspect of him calling Ashley's bluff a little with that comment about "if the owner thinks we're going to have the money to compete with the likes of Chelsea, then he's wrong", or however he phrased it. I think he might still be a little upset about missing out on Modric and maybe he's giving Ashley the message that if he wants to compete quickly with the big[ish]-boys, rather than for it to be a gradual process then he's going to have to spend some serious cash securing the likes of Modric by blowing the competition out of the water money-wise seeing as we can't compete in other areas at the moment. I don't think there's any serious issues behind the scenes, this is just the equivalent to what happened with the money for Killer last time. He's saying put your money where your mouth is Mike.

I think he suspects and perhaps has experienced that Mort and Ashers are a little in fantasy land and this is his way of bringing some reality to the situation...I agree with the tone of what you're saying if that is what you're saying.

Hello, Parky.

*wink*

Wink indeed.

Remember this?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=39833.msg818376#msg818376

Good man.

50 English pounds. All in the linked thread.

Acorns are the official club charity of Aston Villa. It seemed the right thing to do.

You're a good man, Parky-san. Who'd have thought all the stuff that has happened would have happened back then? Football. Mental.

When he said about getting into the top 4 I think he was talking about making the club a permanent fixture and forcing one of the others clubs out rather than just getting in there for the odd season like Everton did, Fredbob.

Thats fair enough but theres 2 things with that, a) i think it'd only take one club who can take advantage of being in the CLfor a season to destabilisie the whole thing, a team such as us or Villa or Spurs, i dont think Everton would be as equppied to make the advantage count respectively speaking and b) he does intimate that whatever we spend the teams above us could spend and get better qwuality, that seems like a bit of a long term view., sort of a vicious circle.

Personally happen to thnk the quotes a bit of a bluff, ive said it before that i think the season after next will be the breakthrought season for us and id be ecstatic next season for a top 8 finish which i think is entirely possible.

:thup:

Hello, Parky.

*wink*

Wink indeed.

Remember this?

Good man.

50 English pounds. All in the linked thread.

Acorns are the official club charity of Aston Villa. It seemed the right thing to do.

You're a good man, Parky-san. Who'd have thought all the stuff that has happened would have happened back then? Football. Mental.

I've bookmarked it, good choice. Will do next week. :razz:

Well done on a goodish season fella.  O0

Guest microbar

No chance of getting into the top 5 or 6 next season,or any other season

we are only ever going to be a mid table club for the forseable future.

When he said about getting into the top 4 I think he was talking about making the club a permanent fixture and forcing one of the others clubs out rather than just getting in there for the odd season like Everton did, Fredbob.

Thats fair enough but theres 2 things with that, a) i think it'd only take one club who can take advantage of being in the CLfor a season to destabilisie the whole thing, a team such as us or Villa or Spurs, i dont think Everton would be as equppied to make the advantage count respectively speaking and b) he does intimate that whatever we spend the teams above us could spend and get better qwuality, that seems like a bit of a long term view., sort of a vicious circle.

Personally happen to thnk the quotes a bit of a bluff, ive said it before that i think the season after next will be the breakthrought season for us and id be ecstatic next season for a top 8 finish which i think is entirely possible.

KK is just letting everyone know that we musn't underestimate the challenge. You must learn your enemies song before you can beat him. He seemed pensive rather than down for me anyway. He won't be happy with top 6 it just isn't him..............

Cheers, mate. Beat Everton for us next week and it'll possibly have been a very good season.

*crosses fingers*

Which interview are we talking about? Sky, BBC or World? If it's any of the first two and it's available online, could anyone post a link?

Sky: http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_3525515,00.html

BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/match_of_the_day/7384594.stm

Which interview are we talking about? Sky, BBC or World? If it's any of the first two and it's available online, could anyone post a link?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/match_of_the_day/7384594.stm

http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12602_3525515,00.html

Cheers lads.

Love in the BBC-one when the interviewer thinks it sounds sad that he's saying what he's saying and he just replies with "well, do you disagree with me?"

He's right, but he does take it a bit too far, IMO. They are very far ahead, yes, but it's not impossible, and I think he knows it as well.

No chance of getting into the top 5 or 6 next season,or any other season

we are only ever going to be a mid table club for the forseable future.

Why do you say that?

Cheers, mate. Beat Everton for us next week and it'll possibly have been a very good season.

*crosses fingers*

Counting on us will be your downfall :(

Guest microbar

Because other teams have tried and failed and spent a lot more than we are going to do.

Because other teams have tried and failed and spent a lot more than we are going to do.

Spurs and Everton have both been close and Everton have done it once and I don't remember them spending a bomb.

he's telling ashley what he wants/needs............should he be doing it in public? it follows on from his comments about not being in touch with the owner and it being a good thing (which i doubt)

KK is just letting everyone know that we musn't underestimate the challenge. You must learn your enemies song before you can beat him. He seemed pensive rather than down for me anyway. He won't be happy with top 6 it just isn't him..............

Precisely, theres an obvious dose of relaism with what he's said, but i dont for one second beleive that he thinks the top4 is inpentrable and i dont think he'd be happy to be the nearly rans, he stills sees this club as being the 5th biggest and i just genuinely cant belive that he beleives theres that much of a gap between 5th place and liverpoool, if anything i think its tiny.

he's telling ashley what he wants/needs............should he be doing it in public? it follows on from his comments about not being in touch with the owner and it being a good thing (which i doubt)

He shouldn't really be doing it in public. For me it shows he really wants to do it and he isn't worried that it might offend MA. As I said earlier he's crossed the line now and no amount of spin and PR is going to cover up the fact that KK has thrown down the gauntlet.

Keep it handy you may need it yourself if you think we are going to break into the top four or five lol.

5th is possible but for me to say we'll do it before we've signed anybody will be no more valid than you saying that we'll be "mid table club for the forseable future."

He shouldn't really be doing it in public. For me it shows he really wants to do it and he isn't worried that it might offend MA. As I said earlier he's crossed the line now and no amount of spin and PR is going to cover up the fact that KK has thrown down the gauntlet.

I see it the other way that Mike Ashley thinks Keegan can challenge the top 4 next season but Keegan is trying to calm his expectations.

i'm not sure wether he's thrown down the gauntlet or thrown in the towel