Keegan on breaking into the top four, and fifth as a target next year

hakka

Am I the only one who disagrees with Keegan and think a team achieving a top4 finish is entirely viable?

It would take one good season from a team such as Villa or Spurs or even us to break the top 4, i think its entirely possible if im honest, Liverpool are by no means dominant in 4th position, with CL on there side players will definitely want to come and that would set the whells in motion if you ask me.

Here's what I read in my tea leaves, or maybe it was my toilet bowl, I'm not too sure:

I don't buy all this we're always going to be crap bullshit that some people are coming out with, my take on it is that Keegan's simply being his usual self and a large part of that is calling a spade a spade and being honest about the gulf in class between us and Chelsea. However, it's also part of Keegan's usual self to apply a little bit of subtle pressure to those holding the purse-strings if he feels the need - he's done it before, he'll do it again - and I reckon that there might be an aspect of him calling Ashley's bluff a little with that comment about "if the owner thinks we're going to have the money to compete with the likes of Chelsea, then he's wrong", or however he phrased it. I think he might still be a little upset about missing out on Modric and maybe he's giving Ashley the message that if he wants to compete quickly with the big[ish]-boys, rather than for it to be a gradual process then he's going to have to spend some serious cash securing the likes of Modric by blowing the competition out of the water money-wise seeing as we can't compete in other areas at the moment. I don't think there's any serious issues behind the scenes, this is just the equivalent to what happened with the money for Killer last time. He's saying put your money where your mouth is Mike.

I still don't understand why he decided to come out and drill it into the players that the club is nowhere near good enough to compete with the top four and won't be for the foreseeable future, whilst sending out the same message to any potential signings. To publically tell the owner that, regardless of what he thinks, he won't be able to take his club to the next level. And to top it all off, let the world know that their relationship is nonexistent.

When you directly compare these quotes to those he made when he first arrived, it just comes across as a bit of a tantrum on the back of an embarrassing second half performance and possibly a culmination of his frustration with the Wise and Houghton apointments being made above his head and our failure to sign Woodgate and Modric.

No doubt the media will be going with that line.

Exactly. It was a completely negative message which only concentrated on what we can't achieve rather than what we can.

Not quite at the negative level of stressing to the team that we should only go for a draw at Derby in your pre-match team talk though.

Am I the only one who disagrees with Keegan and think a team achieving a top4 finish is entirely viable?

It would take one good season from a team such as Villa or Spurs or even us to break the top 4, i think its entirely possible if im honest, Liverpool are by no means dominant in 4th position, with CL on there side players will definitely want to come and that would set the whells in motion if you ask me.

Yes, you are.

Here's what I read in my tea leaves, or maybe it was my toilet bowl, I'm not too sure:

I don't buy all this we're always going to be crap bullshit that some people are coming out with, my take on it is that Keegan's simply being his usual self and a large part of that is calling a spade a spade and being honest about the gulf in class between us and Chelsea. However, it's also part of Keegan's usual self to apply a little bit of subtle pressure to those holding the purse-strings if he feels the need - he's done it before, he'll do it again - and I reckon that there might be an aspect of him calling Ashley's bluff a little with that comment about "if the owner thinks we're going to have the money to compete with the likes of Chelsea, then he's wrong", or however he phrased it. I think he might still be a little upset about missing out on Modric and maybe he's giving Ashley the message that if he wants to compete quickly with the big[ish]-boys, rather than for it to be a gradual process then he's going to have to spend some serious cash securing the likes of Modric by blowing the competition out of the water money-wise seeing as we can't compete in other areas at the moment. I don't think there's any serious issues behind the scenes, this is just the equivalent to what happened with the money for Killer last time. He's saying put your money where your mouth is Mike.

Good post; hope you're right.

SSN now saying the Kev doesn't even speak to Ashley.

In an hour Jim White will be on saying "David Craig will outside St James within the hour canvassing opinion on the Keegan walkout."

Wonder how often Allardyce spoke to John Hall?

Bezzie mates.

Guest Knightrider

Hold on, he's being negative for saying he aims to finish 5th? Fucking madness :lol:

People need to wipe out the top 4 from their heeds because as KK says, they are in a league of their own. Lets all focus on 5th, that tier of the league, which I and every single one of us would be hugely happy with right now (there would be something wrong with you if you wouldn't be). In fact, KK is probably being far too optimistic because from where I sit, top 5 is still a tall order.

Good post; hope you're right.

Me too. ;)

Keegan's only managing the fan's expectations following a result and performance that pretty much shows where we are in relation to the top 4.

As long as I see a year on year progression over the length of Keegan's contract, which should see us at least pushing for a Uefa cup spot, then I'll be delighted. Anything more than that would be a huge bonus.

So Keegan is aiming for 5th next season?

That is ambitious enough for now. Wouldn't be dissappointed to fall short of that. The top 4 isn't permanent, many possibilities could shift the balance of power, we'll just have to wait and see.

The best we can do is the best we can do.

Guest Knightrider

If this is what this place is going to be like every other week, I'm seriously going to give the place a big fuck off miss because this is all crazy this. Read the man's quotes on nufc.co.uk and tell me you are not excited that our manager is planning to take our quite shitty team into the top 5 next season on a day when the chairman said there would be funds in the summer, please tell me the top 5 doesn't excite you. And does it not make you feel good about our manager and club to hear him speak so much sense on the game in general and the way it's panning out with the whole top 4? Not bad for someone who hasn't been in it for 3 years prior to his return. Seriously many people in here need to give their heads a shake because some of the stuff being posted is comical and bordering on retardedness gone deformedly wrong. Whoever coined neurotics-online was spot on :lol:

SSN now saying the Kev doesn't even speak to Ashley.

In an hour Jim White will be on saying "David Craig will outside St James within the hour canvassing opinion on the Keegan walkout."

Wonder how often Allardyce spoke to John Hall?

Bezzie mates.

If Keegan did speak straight to Ashley, there'd be stories of how he was going above Mort's head and how Mort was going to be sacked and replaced by Ken Bates, Peter Ridsdale, or Peter Kenyon depending upon which paper you were reading.

By the way, check out Peter Kenyon's wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Kenyon

Peter Kenyon (born 1954) is the chief executive of Chelsea Football Club, of the Premier League in England. Recent inventions include the self-painting vacuum cleaner and the deodorizing jock-strap.

:lol:

It is all about shoping smarter anyway, we can compete with the Lyons & the Bayern Munichs, we just cant compete with the likes of Chelsea, Barca, Real M, Inter,AC etc.

If we start knocking out £100K + contracts out to average players like Flamini I will give up watching football.

Yes, you are.

Really? So everyone thinks the top4 will stay that way for the forseeable future? No one can see a team getting into the top4 ever? What a load of bollocks. The top 4 can be breached as quickly as next year if you ask me.

If this is what this place is going to be like every other week, I'm seriously going to give the place a big fuck off miss because this is all crazy this. Read the man's quotes on nufc.co.uk and tell me you are not excited that our manager is planning to take our quite shitty team into the top 5 next season on a day when the chairman said there would be funds in the summer, please tell me the top 5 doesn't excite you. And does it not make you feel good about our manager and club to hear him speak so much sense on the game in general and the way it's panning out with the whole top 4? Not bad for someone who hasn't been in it for 3 years prior to his return. Seriously many people in here need to give their heads a shake because some of the stuff being posted is comical.

Me too, this Summer is going to be a nightmare.

Guest Knightrider

Yes, you are.

Really? So everyone thinks the top4 will stay that way for the forseeable future? No one can see a team getting into the top4 ever? What a load of bollocks. The top 4 can be breached as quickly as next year if you ask me.

Did KK say that? No, he said it was impossible, talking in the context of next season I WILL ADD. Knackers!

Yes, you are.

Did KK say that? No, he said it was impossible, talking in the context of next season I WILL ADD. Knackers!

Hold on, the clip i saw had some pretty generic comments saying it was impossible to breach the top4 cos the gap is already huge and whatever we spend they'll spend as well and get better players for it. That seems more forthright than just next season....or was his whole post match interview sepcifically about next season???  :nope:

Where's my we need to spend £100m thread?  bluerazz.gif

Fair play to him, saying it as it is. And there is no shame in his first full season to be challenging for top 6.

I think it's next to the one about Arsenal.   :lol:

They had a good season too.  :lol:

Guest Jungle Barry

Seriously did anybody expect to challenge the "big four" next season??

Top 8 would do me after the dross served up in the last three seasons, anything more than that and i'd be doing naked cartwheels down the seafront (weather permitting)

Trust KK, he knows what he's doing man

Yes, you are.

Well no one has jumped to agree with you ;)

Yes, you are.

Well no one has jumped to agree with you ;)

Then i must be the only one....  :undecided: