Clear the Air Talks ?

NE5

First time in a long time i have not cringed at Olivers drivel. He seems to get alot of stuff spot on(in this article) IMO, however i am assume he's just taking a guess.

Ironically, if it turned out the club are talking about transfers/direction/finances it could be a nice bit of buisness, setting the focus for the summer at a good time.

Keegan was talking like a man who wasn't sure whether he really fancied the job any more. These mood swings are par for the course with him, but they're no use when they happen in public and we're trying to attract good players.

Having cleared the debt, Ashley has made it quite clear that the club has to be run as a business. He's not going to dip into his pocket like Abramovich to buy expensive players, and it's not reasonable to expect him to. That still puts us in a very healthy financial position, to compete for the likes of Modric, whilst at the same time attracting the best unproven talent.

It's going to be a struggle, but not impossible, to break into the top four, and I'm not sure that Keegan's still up for it. He can be quite impatient, and his past success has been based on outspending nearly all of the opposition. That's not an option now, and I don't know if he has sufficient faith in himself to deal with the current reality.

He was talking like a man who doesn't care whether or not he keeps his job. By all accounts, he can't afford to walk out, but I suspect he wouldn't be too unhappy about being paid off. He could then walk off into the sunset, still a hero, with Ashley as the villain. He has publicly and forcefully expressed his disllusionment with the task ahead, and frankly doesn't deserve the job or anything like the adulation that seems to be his by right.

'But my information is that there will be no screaming match at tomorrow’s meeting and no parting of the ways from either party – and it is likely to end in handshakes all round.

I am told that Keegan has been summoned to London by Ashley to be reminded that when he was appointed in January he was informed of the direction the club was taking, and that things have not changed.'

That sounds like he's in for a bollocking tbh. If that's true, I can't see how Oliver can be sure that it'll all end in handshakes.

I'm not sure they will cost more looking at the prices of Modric and Veloso, more likely they won't be worth f*** all in 3 years time.

Well I meant cost the club more in terms of higher wages and being of no further value to us after they are done, like you say.

Guest alijmitchell

"Personally I think KK's outburst was because Mort et al failed to tie up the Luka Modric deal purely because of an apparent reluctance to pay the going rate/wages for the player"

according to Mort we were prepared to pay over the odds just like woodgate just simply chose spurs as the feel they are a better option.

16m - Modric

7m - Woodgate

i think that considering we were in for these players shows there is money to spend

I was agreeing more with the essence of the point being that keegan is still annoyed that the modric deal didn't happen (for whatever reason) and the point that was made about there being two differing sets of transfer targets.

Guest toonlass

Just a thought. Would most managers not be meeting with their chairmen/owners at this time of year, to lay out plans for the next season(s), discuss transfer kitties, discuss possible transfer targets etc. However most clubs do not sell newspapers like Newcastle do (when was the last time you saw anything about the manager/chairman relationship at Portsmouth/Reading/Aston Villa splashed all over everywhere, you don't because no-one gives a fuck about them). This is media hyperbole yet again....

Latest from .com, couldn't see it in here

Question Time

A hyperbole-free account of current events, without using phrases like "Judgment Day" or "Kevin in Crisis" etc.

The manager met the media on Thursday lunchtime to talk about Sunday's game away to Everton.

Before that press conference got underway, Keegan said:

"The reason we've fetched the press conference a day early is that I am going to London tomorrow to talk with Mike Ashley.

"That's a good thing and I look forward to that."

KK then confirmed he would only answer questions relating to Sunday's game and responded to being asked about whether playing Everton was a good test by saying:

"This club is the fifth-biggest club in this country. It's not unreasonable for the manager of that football club to believe that he can finish fifth.

"That's our main target next year. Do we want to be like Everton this year - and maybe Villa? the answer is yes.

"That would be the aim and that's a very good target to set ourselves for next year from where we are at the moment, I think."

KK took the opportunity to restate his view that while fans and people in the game may have aspirations for their club to break into the top four, in reality it's a closed shop.

He also revealed that Mark Viduka will be sidelined with his achilles injury for between three & six months, with more details on that expected soon.

When asked specifically about incoming activity, he said:

"We're still looking, still trying to assess what we need and what's available out there.

"Sometimes a player becomes available you never thought and there's a real rush to try and get him. I'd like to think we'd be in that rush, depending on whether it's a player in a position we need."

KK compared Everton to Newcastle in having a small squad and added Portsmouth and Blackburn as teams he sees as rivals to a fifth place finish next season.

He also outlined his reasons for not taking his players on a lap of honour, calling the season as whole a "mixed bag" and suggesting that it hadn't been good enough overall to warrant such a gesture.

The manager did however stress that not doing a lap of honour wasn't meant as a snub to the SJP fans - some of whom were upset apparently (quite what planet these alleged moaners inhabit is open to question.............)

Neither his body language nor any comments suggested that this was a man who fears losing his job or is contemplating walking away from it - at this point in time.

The manager meets the owner on Friday about subjects tbc. The Executive Director (Football) is also expected to be present. 

Guest alijmitchell

Latest from .com, couldn't see it in here

Question Time

A hyperbole-free account of current events, without using phrases like "Judgment Day" or "Kevin in Crisis" etc.

The manager met the media on Thursday lunchtime to talk about Sunday's game away to Everton.

Before that press conference got underway, Keegan said:

"The reason we've fetched the press conference a day early is that I am going to London tomorrow to talk with Mike Ashley.

"That's a good thing and I look forward to that."

KK then confirmed he would only answer questions relating to Sunday's game and responded to being asked about whether playing Everton was a good test by saying:

"This club is the fifth-biggest club in this country. It's not unreasonable for the manager of that football club to believe that he can finish fifth.

"That's our main target next year. Do we want to be like Everton this year - and maybe Villa? the answer is yes.

"That would be the aim and that's a very good target to set ourselves for next year from where we are at the moment, I think."

KK took the opportunity to restate his view that while fans and people in the game may have aspirations for their club to break into the top four, in reality it's a closed shop.

He also revealed that Mark Viduka will be sidelined with his achilles injury for between three & six months, with more details on that expected soon.

When asked specifically about incoming activity, he said:

"We're still looking, still trying to assess what we need and what's available out there.

"Sometimes a player becomes available you never thought and there's a real rush to try and get him. I'd like to think we'd be in that rush, depending on whether it's a player in a position we need."

KK compared Everton to Newcastle in having a small squad and added Portsmouth and Blackburn as teams he sees as rivals to a fifth place finish next season.

He also outlined his reasons for not taking his players on a lap of honour, calling the season as whole a "mixed bag" and suggesting that it hadn't been good enough overall to warrant such a gesture.

The manager did however stress that not doing a lap of honour wasn't meant as a snub to the SJP fans - some of whom were upset apparently (quite what planet these alleged moaners inhabit is open to question.............)

Neither his body language nor any comments suggested that this was a man who fears losing his job or is contemplating walking away from it - at this point in time.

The manager meets the owner on Friday about subjects tbc. The Executive Director (Football) is also expected to be present. 

I think, to be honest, if we all took this at face value, there would be a lot less sleepless nights.

Guest Guinness

Just seen the press conference on SSN and he didn't seem too downbeat, also seemed to stress the top four remarks more in relation to next season.

Perhaps it was KK's little moan (if he in fact said it) about losing his three main targets that set this meeting into motion. At the very least they should all be singing from the same hymn sheet.  There will be words no doubt but as blokes they should be able to move on, have a pint and make NUFC stronger because of it.

Personally I think KK's outburst was because Mort et al failed to tie up the Luka Modric deal purely because of an apparent reluctance to pay the going rate/wages for the player, and KK doesn't want the same to happen to his other targets, hence the outburst designed to get Ashley to stump up the cash.

It seems Mort has a remit to ensure we don't do a Leeds and as such we seem destined to miss out on all but the middle of the road type signings of youngsters such as Tozer and Kadar.  It appears Mort and Ashley envisage us doing an Arsenal by signing all the best youngsters, but when Arsenal embarked on that course they also signed some quality experienced players like Viera, Overmars, Bergkamp and Petit and already had Ian Wright on the books.  That is why KK is saying the policy we have will not get us into the top 4 over the next 3 years and he is quite right.  We need to buy quality established players (such as Modric), to get us into regular finishes in the top 6 and then buy quality youth to complement that team in order to develop and push for a top four finish.

Yes, i think this is probably as close as can possibly be to what is going on at the moment without being inside the club.

so we have a 5 year plan to dominate the world ?

A type of "plan" that we havent' of course tried before ?

Lets hope nobody else has the same "plan", who else fobs off their supporters with a load of unrealistic hot air like this ? Do you want a club run like Everton or Liverpool ?

Whats the odds that in 5 years time we have produced about 2 good quality premiership players. Where is the other 9 ?

Guest icemanblue

Yawn.

disbelieve and believe what suits you then.

bluelaugh.gif

Sssssh. I'm sleeping.

Guest alex

Yawn.

disbelieve and believe what suits you then.

That's what you do, in fairness.

Guest JamesD

If Wise is going to be at the meeting, which was reported in the Chronicle, then I really don't see how this meeting is anything besides a discussion of plans for the off season.

If Wise is going to be at the meeting, which was reported in the Chronicle, then I really don't see how this meeting is anything besides a discussion of plans for the off season.

Not sure why Ashley would be there if that's the case.

Guest Guinness

I see it that way too. Possibly to align perceptions and then agree on the direction the club needs to take in the summer in regards to transfers.

The old board were s***.     

of course, you didn't bother attending those Champions League games I take it ?

I'm just playing with ya! I dont think they were shit at all, but they are directly responsible for the situation we are in today, thats all!