The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quite an interesting character off the pitch n all young Arse-shaving n all.

Arshavin has a degree in fashion design, which included a thesis on “The development of sportswear manufacturing”.

Arshavin capitalised on his popularity as Russian football’s golden boy to gain election to the St Petersburg legislative assembly in 2006, campaigning on Vladimir Putin’s United Russia ticket.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/883/29/

Would love it if we got him in like but I can't see him moving to someone who is not in Europe.

He be trading in for the best league in the world though, and that's 38 games of testing ability and prestige compared to where he is now.

14/06/2008 09:04

Newcastle Power-Play For Arshavin

The race to sign Zenit St Petersburg star Andrei Arshavin is heating up as Newcastle have reacted to reports that Manchester City are circling in on the player by intensifying their own efforts.

* »Comments (2)

* Print This Story

* Send To A Friend

* Contact Us

Newcastle Power-Play For Arshavin

galleria zoom

Newcastle's director of football Dennis Wise has reportedly met with Arshavin's agent to sell him on the prospect of his star client signing for the Geordies once Euro 2008 has run its course.

Newcastle have been credited as being long-term admirers of the 26-year-old, and Arshavin has previously claimed that he would be open to a move to St. James' Park.

"Of course I would like to play in England," he told the Daily Mirror last December..

"In Russia as well as England they are talking about Newcastle being interested in me and there has been no concrete offer.

"In principle if they made an offer I would be interested."

Zenit boss Dick Advocaat has already admitted the club are likely to lose their crown jewel, and the latest statement from his club suggests that judgment day may even be less than a week away.

“If Arshavin doesn’t leave by June 20 he’ll stay in the team,” confirmed club official Konstantin Sarsania.

The Russia star was vital to Zenit’s European success, earning strong interest from several clubs, including Everton, Roma and Schalke reportedly.

Arshavin has yet to make an impact on Euro 2008, as he is suspended for Russia's first two games.  He could prove pivotal for them in their final group game against Sweden, however.

Derek Wanger, Goal.com

The quotes from Arshavin are old quotes and go back to when we were linked with him under Allardyce.

His stock has risen a lot since then, and he'll end up somewhere better than here I'm afraid.

Got next weeks lottery numbers?

Arshavin has a degree in fashion design, which included a thesis on “The development of sportswear manufacturing”.

Arshavin capitalised on his popularity as Russian football’s golden boy to gain election to the St Petersburg legislative assembly in 2006, campaigning on Vladimir Putin’s United Russia ticket.

Would love it if we got him in like but I can't see him moving to someone who is not in Europe.

He be trading in for the best league in the world though, and that's 38 games of testing ability and prestige compared to where he is now.

Very true but say it is between us and Man City for example, he has no preference i presume to either and both will throw money at him & I get the impression players still view being in Europe as to being the shop window, something which he has experienced already as he has pretty much become common knowledge due to Zenit's win in UEFA, he would probably prefer the move to City i would presume.

I actually think he is the type of player Liverpool should be in for to play wide in their 4/3/3 or 4/5/1

Very true but say it is between us and Man City for example, he has no preference i presume to either and both will throw money at him & I get the impression players still view being in Europe as to being the shop window, something which he has experienced already as he has pretty much become common knowledge due to Zenit's win in UEFA, he would probably prefer the move to City i would presume.

I actually think he is the type of player Liverpool should be in for to play wide in their 4/3/3 or 4/5/1

Aye, can't argue with that unfortunately, seems like its going to be the thing that holds us back getting in the players we actually need. :(

Aye, can't argue with that unfortunately, seems like its going to be the thing that holds us back getting in the players we actually need. :(

True, especially if we're not going to be offering silly wages anymore (which to an extent I fully agree with). We're going to have to make other signings that signal intent & try and encourage people to join others. I also believe we need Keegan at the forefront on negotiations as his passion alone will encourage players and I'd want him selling the club rather than Wise etc because of the passion he has for the place and the fact he played here himself when he was still a world class player and we were gash.

cant we get man city chairman thrown in jail or something so we can complete this signing?  everyone knows hes a dodgy as an MEP expense account!

I guess russia have banned fotty agents?  club needs to pay however much it takes for this guy, one best midfielders in europe imo.

AM sweatin` at thethought of him in our team )))

Newcastle United and Manchester City appear to be heading for a close battle for Zenit St Petersburg midfielder Andrei Arshavin.

According to Sport-Express, Newcastle have made a £9 million bid, but Zenit sources believe City are ready to make a better offer

Anyone bored enough to try find the article on the Russian site?

Newcastle United and Manchester City appear to be heading for a close battle for Zenit St Petersburg midfielder Andrei Arshavin.

According to Sport-Express, Newcastle have made a £9 million bid, but Zenit sources believe City are ready to make a better offer

Anyone bored enough to try find the article on the Russian site?

Nothing on Sport-Express's main page.

On the Russian version their is a Q&A with Arshavin from today. Relevant Stuff:

Q: What about your future? What can you tell us about the June 20th deadline?

A: At the moment I can not tell you anything new

The rest of it focuses on Russia, Euro 2008 and Zenit's UEFA Cup win.

Guest Brazilianbob

it's either all tied up or it will never happen.  Man City have got money to burn and we are not in the position to offer the wages anymore, so if man City top or match our offer he won't be coming.  It looks like we will be going back with an improved offer at Plymouth for Aaron Spears as our second choice to Arshavin

............. It looks like we will be going back with an improved offer at Plymouth for Aaron Spears as our second choice to Arshavin

Don't be daft lad, Spears is 15, he wont be touching the first team for years.

it's either all tied up or it will never happen.  Man City have got money to burn and we are not in the position to offer the wages anymore, so if man City top or match our offer he won't be coming.  It looks like we will be going back with an improved offer at Plymouth for Aaron Spears as our second choice to Arshavin

What the fuck are you on about?  :idiot2:

Oh and BTW, we bettered Spuds wage offer for Modric, we aren't bankrupt FFS, we can still offer competitive wages.

............. It looks like we will be going back with an improved offer at Plymouth for Aaron Spears as our second choice to Arshavin

Don't be daft lad, Spears is 15, he wont be touching the first team for years.

Can he legally even play at 15?

Hope Russia get knowcked out tomorrow as he said in his interview he wont decide his future until after euro 2008.

Would have thought if the deadline is the 20th and we are in for him then we are talking to his agent.

He said in that interview his agent is talking to clubs but he himself hasnt.

Advocaat on Arshavin leaving Zenit "That will happen, I have no doubts about that and we will have to start again,"

We have to show our interest in the player if we want to sign him. We will face competition from more attractive clubs and I just hope that we can offer the highest wages. That's all we have when we are competing with clubs that have European football next season.

Advocaat on Arshavin leaving Zenit "That will happen, I have no doubts about that and we will have to start again,"

We have to show our interest in the player if we want to sign him. We will face competition from more attractive clubs and I just hope that we can offer the highest wages. That's all we have when we are competing with clubs that have European football next season.

I'd hope we use more than purely wages as a tool when bargaining like. Like showing them the facilities, the potential, the future. Get Keegan to sell them the club and the area. Don't just throw money at them.

Looks like he's definitely available then anyway. As per Arda; if we wanted him and we don't get him due to fucking around then I'll not be pleased.

I'd hope we use more than purely wages as a tool when bargaining like. Like showing them the facilities, the potential, the future. Get Keegan to sell them the club and the area. Don't just throw money at them.

Looks like he's definitely available then anyway. As per Arda; if we wanted him and we don't get him due to fucking around then I'll not be pleased.

Is he really going to give a fuk about the potential of the club being 27?

Throw money at him, only way he's coming here.

Looks like he's definitely available then anyway. As per Arda; if we wanted him and we don't get him due to f***ing around then I'll not be pleased.

We do have great training facilities, an incredible stadium and in my opinion one of the greatest cities in the world to sell to prospective players, but in modern football money is more important than ever. We will have to offer significantly higher wages than teams which are playing in a tournament that he won last season.

Is he really going to give a fuk about the potential of the club being 27?

Throw money at him, only way he's coming here.

Anyway, hang on a minute here. Are you suggesting we're not very attractive to these players, and that we'll struggle to get them without paying extortionate wages? Because if so, why the complaining that nowt's happened?