Peter Taylor named Wycombe manager

Optimistic Nut

Guest alex

I suppose but he had a talented bunch of players to work with there, other than that he's been a complete failure.

I think he is a decent coach and would be a good addition to the coaching staff, the only negative for me, didn't he sign Trevor Benjamin? lol

and £5.5m Ade Akinbiyi and Junior Lewis(the worst player I have seen play PL football) for all but 1 of the teams he's managed and to cap it off he has a fucking horrendous voice.

Thing is though, good coaches don't necessarily make good managers and vice-versa. You'd be gutted if Taylor was the next manager but I'm happy to see him on the coaching staff.

He's been absolutely woefull for Stevenage.  You'd think dropping down 3 divisions he'd walk it,  but the players simply didn't want to play for him,  which was a bit bizarre.  Awful football,  and nobody shed a tear when he left.

As a coach he might be OK,  but as a manager,  vastly overrated nowadays.

I suppose but he had a talented bunch of players to work with there, other than that he's been a complete failure.

I think he is a decent coach and would be a good addition to the coaching staff, the only negative for me, didn't he sign Trevor Benjamin? lol

and £5.5m Ade Akinbiyi and Junior Lewis(the worst player I have seen play PL football) for all but 1 of the teams he's managed and to cap it off he has a fucking horrendous voice.

Thing is though, good coaches don't necessarily make good managers and vice-versa. You'd be gutted if Taylor was the next manager but I'm happy to see him on the coaching staff.

Very true, if he can improve our youth set up then good stuff.

Guest Rey Mysterio

I'd take him as part of the coaching set up, aslong as he never uses the words "first class" (furst clors) ever again.

Wise offers Taylor role as Newcastle academy head

Louise Taylor The Guardian, Friday May 16 2008

Peter Taylor is being lined up as the next director of Newcastle United's academy. The former England caretaker manager and Under-21 coach, who left Stevenage Borough two weeks ago, had a meeting with Dennis Wise, the club's executive director (football), at a hotel in Waltham Abbey to discuss the possibility on Wednesday and is tempted by the potential challenge.

"Dennis rang me for a general chat a couple of weeks ago and then we had a cup of coffee and another talk yesterday," said Taylor, who briefly served as Wise's manager at Leicester City, last night. It is understood Taylor is one of four candidates being considered by Newcastle to oversee the academy but he is by some distance the most experienced and high-profile.

Although youth development is part of Wises's rather than Kevin Keegan's remit at the club, Taylor enjoys a good relationship with the one-time England coach and could conceivably help improve recently strained relations between Newcastle's manager and executive director.

With Newcastle's wages as percentage of turnover ratio approaching an unhealthy 80% - the consensus is that 50% is about right - Mike Ashley, the owner, and Chris Mort, the chairman, are anxious to develop the club's youth system. Producing young players is a field in which Taylor, 55, excels and it is also felt that his impressive reputation could persaude parents to send their sons to Newcastle's academy rather than a rival club.

However Taylor, widely acclaimed as an outstanding coach and almost universally liked by his former England Under-21 players, would also be working with youngsters from around the world as Wise and his scouting team aim to emulate Arsenal's example and are currently scouring the globe for bright but as yet unheralded young talent for Newcastle's staff to polish.

Should Taylor accept an offer from Newcastle - and, attractive as Wise's blueprint undoubtedly is, he could yet be tempted by the possibility of a return to frontline management - it remains to be seen if Joe Joyce, Newcastle's current academy manager, will stay at the club.

Joyce succeeded Glenn Roeder in the role when the latter was promoted to first-team manager following Graeme Souness's sacking and it appears Ashley is interested in having another well known name heading up his youth development programme. Similarly the future of Steve Round, Keegan's out-of-contract first-team coach, is still uncertain; the former Middlesbrough assistant manager is waiting to hear if he will be offered a new deal.

Meanwhile Charles N'Zogbia, Newcastle's France Under-21 midfielder, has denied that he is desperate to leave the club. "I am happy at Newcastle and I always have been but like the other Newcastle players I will be looking at who the club signs this summer," said N'Zogbia, who insists that reports of him having a scuffle with his team-mate Abdoulaye Faye over their respective salaries are "untrue". N'Zogbia, who has been linked with a summer move to Spurs, added: "Apart from being my friend, Abdoulaye is a little bit bigger than me."

Yet despite this unexpected pledge of loyalty, the left-sided Frenchman may not be on Tyneside come August. Indeed, with Keegan's summer transfer kitty reported to be a relatively modest £20m, the manager, who hopes to recruit some established Premier League luminaries, could be tempted to wheel and deal and the talented N'Zogbia could well leave St James' if Newcastle receive an enticing bid.

Guest optimistic nit

Compare the current set up to 2 years ago when the coaching staff consisted of Roeder, Clark and McDermott. Keegan, Hughton, Round, McDermott....isn't Cox leaving this summer as well? Could well be that Taylor is his replacement rather than Round's.

Fair point, it is a hell of an improvement though. It almost appears as though Keegan is the motivational aspect of that and he is surrounding himself with more technical people. A sign that he recognises the importance of tactics these days instead of his previous almost gung-ho approach?

what rubbish.

Guest thenorthumbrian

If Taylor is as good a coach as people are saying(and I am not saying he isn't) then what was he doing  at Stevenge and not in a higher profile coaching job at a premiership club ? 

Guest alex

If Taylor is as good a coach as people are saying(and I am not saying he isn't) then what was he doing  at Stevenge and not in a higher profile coaching job at a premiership club ?  

Do you really think it's that simple or are you just pissed off he's a southerner?

Wise offers Taylor role as Newcastle academy head

Louise Taylor The Guardian, Friday May 16 2008

Meanwhile Charles N'Zogbia, Newcastle's France Under-21 midfielder, has denied that he is desperate to leave the club. "I am happy at Newcastle and I always have been but like the other Newcastle players I will be looking at who the club signs this summer," said N'Zogbia, who insists that reports of him having a scuffle with his team-mate Abdoulaye Faye over their respective salaries are "untrue". N'Zogbia, who has been linked with a summer move to Spurs, added: "Apart from being my friend, Abdoulaye is a little bit bigger than me."

Incorrect quote from N'Zogbia. Twisted slightly to hint at leaving. Nice one Louise.

Ease the strain between Wise and Keegan - when have either said there was a strain in the relationship. Added bollocks to otherwise decent story (for a change)

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Taylor has been named the new manager of League Two Wycombe.

The former England Under-21 coach was linked with a coaching role at Newcastle United.

He had one game as caretaker manager of senior national team, left Blue Square Premier side Stevenage in April after six months in charge.

Taylor, 55, took over at Broadhall Way after being sacked by Crystal Palace in October following a poor start to the Championship campaign.

He takes over at Adams Park from Paul Lambert, who resigned just three days after the club's League Two play-off semi-final defeat to Stockport.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/nufc/Newcastle-target-takes-Wycombe-job.4133987.jp

Former Walsall manager Richard Money is believed to be in the frame to become Newcastle’s next academy director.

Money, who quit the Banks’s Stadium in April, could benefit from a coaching reshuffle planned at St James’ Park which is also likely to see former Villa midfielder Alan Thompson handed the role of under-15s coach.

Where this will leave current academy director Joe Joyce remains to be seen.

Peter Taylor had originally topped the Magpies’ wish list after holding talks with United executive director Dennis Wise, before the former England caretaker manager was appointed Wycombe manager today.

That could give Money his opportunity to return to the game and he refused to rule out the possibility.

He said: “It’s pure speculation at this stage. I’m obviously looking for my next opportunity in football at the moment.”

Money enjoyed a successful two-year reign with the Saddlers, guiding them to the League Two championship in his first season in charge, their first title since 1960.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/05/29/money-linked-with-newcastle-role/

Guest sicko2ndbest

Richard Money was massively popular with the Walsall fans and was expected to get a good championship job becasue of his succeses there.

I would be very suprised if he came here

NEWCASTLE United will look elsewhere to strengthen their Academy set up after Peter Taylor took up the managerial reins at Wycombe Wanderers.

And two names in the frame for the Academy director position touted to the hugely-experienced Taylor are Terry Gibson and Paul Hart.

Taylor – who met Dennis Wise earlier this month for talks on a possible role at the club – was yesterday appointed successor to Paul Lambert at Adams Park, having decided he wanted to remain in frontline management after leaving Stevenage Borough at the end of the season.

The 55-year-old former Leicester City boss, who took charge of one England game on a caretaker basis after Kevin Keegan's departure, had been on a four-man shortlist at United.

Wise is keen to beef up the Academy, and ex-Newcastle midfielder Alan Thompson – who this week hung up his boots – is expected to join the staff as a coach.

Thompson – who, ironically, left St James's Park during Keegan's first spell as manager – had played under Wise during his time in charge of Leeds United.

However, it is unclear just where moves to appoint a director leave current Academy manager Joe Joyce, who was brought in by Glenn Roeder almost two years ago.

Former Nottingham Forest manager Hart is currently director of youth operations at Portsmouth, while Terry Gibson is at Cardiff City after leaving Fulham last season, where he had been a coach under then-manager Lawrie Sanchez, his former Wimbledon team-mate.

United's Academy has fed the likes of Shola Ameobi and Steven Taylor into the first team over the past eight years, with Andy Carroll and David Edgar the latest to make the jump to Premier League football.

And owner Mike Ashley is determined that the club – which had to pay £15m to bring Gosforth-born Alan Shearer back to the north east – does not miss out on the best local talent.

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/newcastleunited/Toon-back-to-square-one.4137618.jp