cheeky bastard bobby charlton

madras

Guest alex

" I am as I was born before Tyne & Wear came about."

i realise they are doing away with Northub county council, but i dont think there is much danger of ashington being included in tyne and wear!!

SO i cant really see your point tbh.  

Maybe by some wierd quirk of a mistimed journey by mrs charlton, some of the charltons got borned in the RVI ?

Shame Stevie's banned as I'm sure he would have adjudicated.

ultimate plastic geordie

Supported the Mackems, didn't he ? It was Jack who followed Newcastle...

never heard that one before mate. Wouldn't be surprised ........

Guest KeithKettleborough

Don't really like him and a mate who worked with him football wise, described him as sour faced and not likeable at all.

However I can't imagine many who wouldn't have followed the same course he took regarding his involvement with Man U, which still continues to this day.  Being one of their footballing legends might have been enough but his love. passion and never ending commitment to the club was cemented by the Munich disaster. It would have been almost impossible for anyone in the same situation to start a love affair with another club or indeed another region, even if you were born there. A fan player wise but not person wise but don't regard him being an adopted Manc as a bad point. It was inevitable.

"Don't really like him and a mate who worked with him football wise, described him as sour faced and not likeable at all."

erm do you realise he has parkinsons disease??  which means he cant move his face muscles properly anymore, so he cant smile properly.  No joke, my grandad had it so i recognise the signs.....his left hand shakes, you can see him holding it down in interviews.

I guess the air disaster left metal scars on him as well.

"Don't really like him and a mate who worked with him football wise, described him as sour faced and not likeable at all."

erm do you realise he has parkinsons disease??  which means he cant move his face muscles properly anymore, so he cant smile properly.  No joke, my grandad had it so i recognise the signs.....his left hand shakes, you can see him holding it down in interviews.

I guess the air disaster left metal scars on him as well.

as someone who's seen him in the flesh i would say his face moves fine when it wants but he is not the best people person if you get my drift.

Guest BigAl2

Don't really like him and a mate who worked with him football wise, described him as sour faced and not likeable at all.

However I can't imagine many who wouldn't have followed the same course he took regarding his involvement with Man U, which still continues to this day.  Being one of their footballing legends might have been enough but his love. passion and never ending commitment to the club was cemented by the Munich disaster. It would have been almost impossible for anyone in the same situation to start a love affair with another club or indeed another region, even if you were born there. A fan player wise but not person wise but don't regard him being an adopted Manc as a bad point. It was inevitable.

Absolutely spot on!

He played in a great young team that was snuffed out before it reached its full potential losing his team mates and pals, its no wonder that he has such strong links with the club having gone through such a tragic event.

He is from the North East and with his family roots being part of Geordie folklore ( 'Wor' Jackie ) who are we to say that he has no right to call himself a Geordie.

I see it as yet another player that slipped through the oversized footballing net that is the North East along with his brother Jackie, Robson, Shearer, Beardsley (I know they came back to play) and countless others.

Guest Knightrider

I can forgive him for his association with Manchester United but his total defection from his roots is something I personally find very sad, if indeed true. According to Jack, Bobby was always a snob and soon grew to become embarrassed by his roots, some members of his family and more shockingly, his broad Geordie accent once he joined Man Utd. Having never met the bloke though or know of his circumstances, it would be mongish of me to have a negative view of him based on heresay.

From a footballing perspective, I'm just very proud our region produced such a great player and legend of our game.

I met them both when I was a kid and found them both to be likeable, I was even coached by Jack a few times.  Bobby was a brilliant player but I didn't see an ego at all although that may have been because I was too young to see it or maybe he just didn't have an ego at all. 

Bobby lacked a sense of humour which his brother more than made up for as he seemed to have more than enough for two.

Guest Knightrider

To be fair, I don't think Jack got on with him all that much, maybe he even resented him at times, so some of the disparaging things he's said about his brother over the years should probably be taking with a pinch of salt. He's very well spoken of Bobby, by many, so he's obviously one of the good guys in football for a start. It's just sad that he never represented the club he supported as a boy, we well and truly missed out. Story of our club.

I met them both when I was a kid and found them both to be likeable, I even coached by Jack a few times when he was a bairn.  Bobby was a brilliant player but I didn't see an ego at all although that may have been because I was too young to see it or maybe he just didn't have an ego at all. 

Bobby lacked a sense of humour which his brother more than made up for as he seemed to have more than enough for two.

FYP.

As others have said, while his devotion to his Man U is fair enough, it didn't have to be at the expense of distancing himself from his roots.

"As ye repulse so shall ye be repulsed"

these would be the words of a wise man if anyone had ever said them.

I've heard Bobby's a bit of a cold man.

Apparently at the Villa - Man U league match in Lerner's first season, Charlton was introduced to Lerner who was - having read up on him, clearly - excited to meet him, but Charlton blanked him, barely looked up when introduced.

He then made a point of going over to Doug and being effusively friendly.

Also, he knocked my mate's sausage roll out of his hand at Newcastle Central Station in about 1988. His wife apologised, but Bobby scuttled off without a word.

Worse. Than. Himmler.

Guest Knightrider

Aye Jack's great, used to pop into Gorman's fishie a few years back, for fish and chips. Will talk all day long with anyone about football and NUFC who he adores despite a pretty bad time of it as manager. In fact his take on them days is not only hilarious but hard hitting. He doesn't mince his words. :D

Guest taff2727

He was born a Geordie & will die a Geordie regardless of which football team he supports now.

ashington= geordie,i think not

I met them both when I was a kid and found them both to be likeable, I even coached by Jack a few times when he was a bairn.  Bobby was a brilliant player but I didn't see an ego at all although that may have been because I was too young to see it or maybe he just didn't have an ego at all. 

FYP.

:lol:

Guest taff2727

He was born a Geordie & will die a Geordie regardless of which football team he supports now.

ashington= geordie,i think not

Like Jackie Milburn?

nah jackie played for  us and loved us,thats why he got a statue.

what has BC ever done for us?

i class him in the same mould as steve bruce,sting,jimmy nail and the entire italian army during WW11.

THEY WILL BE ON OUR SIDE WHEN IT SUITS THEM.

nah jackie played for  us and loved us,thats why he got a statue.

what has BC ever done for us?

i class him in the same mould as steve bruce,sting,jimmy nail and the entire italian army during WW11.

THEY WILL BE ON OUR SIDE WHEN IT SUITS THEM.

I'm sure I remember us playing Man U in a testimonial and Bobby played half the game for us.