Mario Gomez

bodson

You think Elano has a higher profile just because he played a handful of decent games in England for City at the start of the season? Wow.

As for Petrov: He wasn't a regular at Atletico anymore when he left and they wanted to get rid of him as much as the player wanted to go. When we signed Luque, Deportivo had missed out on European football, while Newcastle had not and were willing to massively increase his wages. Totally different scenarios.

Of course there is nothing wrong with going to try to sign players like Gomez. I am all for this. All what I am saying is that the chances of signing these players are incredible slim. And in case of Gomez I am not basing this on some hypothetical scenario, but on direct quotes from the player about his future plans.

where do you live?  the english PL, whether you want to believe it or not, has a higher profile than the german bundesliga and spanish PL...ergo elano will get more exposure for his "handful" of decent games (jesus)

good insight on petrov, perhaps because of the lack of exposure i get to the spanish league (ahem) i still thought he was the pacy, tricky, quality left winger spurs were looking to pay 10m for and who turned to out to do a decent job in england in the end

your point about luque only backs me up - you really think a player would leave deportivo where he played in the CL semis and challenged for the spanish title simply 'cause they missed europe and we were in the uefa qualifying rounds?  get a grip man

Newcastle in race to sign up striker

May 20 2008 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United will have to make a quick decision over who to target as their new centre-forward next season or risk the price rocketing in the coming weeks.

Kevin Keegan would like a fourth front man to complement Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka next season and have been scouting VfB Stuttgart’s Mario Gómez and St Etienne’s Bafetimbi Gomis.

But both now look set to play international football this summer, raising the possibility their price could escalate.

After two impressive seasons in the Bundesliga, Gómez was always expected to be named in Germany’s Euro 2008 squad, but the selection of the uncapped Gomis in France’s provisional squad for the tournament was more of a surprise.

His inclusion in a 30-man squad ahead of 30-year-old Juventus striker David Trezeguet will only further Gomis’ standing – and his value in the transfer market.

Even if Gomis does not make the cut for Austria and Switzerland, he at least seems likely to play a part in some or all of Les Bleus’ forthcoming friendlies against Ecuador, Paraguay and Colombia, allowing those clubs who have not seen as much of the 22-year-old to make up ground on Newcastle.

United’s revamped scouting team have watched Gomis on a number of occasions, with Keegan checking him out in person in March.

Newcastle were also understood to have been represented in Stuttgart on Saturday to watch VfB draw 2-2 with Arminia Bielefeld in their final game of the season. Gómez scored a penalty as his side qualified for next season’s Intertoto Cup.

The impressive pedigree of a player who also qualifies for Spain makes the 22-year-old an obvious and expensive target. Gómez has scored 28 goals in 32 club appearances this season and his international record is six in nine.

With a Who’s Who of Europe’s top clubs supposedly monitoring the progress of the 2007 Bundesliga Player of the Year, the odds against the Magpies signing the player would appear to be very long, though it has been suggested he would prefer to join Newcastle over a club who might use him primarily as a substitute.

Milan, Fiorentina, Juventus, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United are all said to be monitoring him, though Stuttgart coach Armin Veh claims his allegiance towards Barcelona makes Madrid an unlikely destination.

Veh is, however, resigned to losing Gómez before the five-year contract he signed last summer expires, though at this stage of proceedings the club are demanding around £40m for his services.

While making all the right noises about being happy in Germany, Gómez has done little to disguise the fact he will be going – or to dampen any interest from England. “If a major offer comes in, I have agreed with my club that I can have talks,” he is quoted as saying. “I consider myself capable of playing in the big European leagues. I watch the Premier League and it is one of the best in the world. I know Chelsea scouts have watched matches.”

Stuttgart have already begun lining up replacements for their prize asset, with Liverpool’s Andriy Voronin top of their shopping list.

Like Gómez, 22-year-old Gomis is a tall, physical striker (both stand 6ft 3in tall) and has drawn comparisons with Emmanuel Adebayor and Didier Drogba.

Indeed, with rumours persisting of Milan’s interest in Adebayor, he could be a possible replacement at the Emirates. Marseille and Sevilla are both potential suitors.

Gomis had been eligible to play alongside Drogba for Senegal, the country of his birth, but will now try his luck with France.

Meanwhile, Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips – linked with a summer move to Newcastle – insists he will not quit the club in the close season.

The England winger’s future has come under intense speculation as he dropped out of first-team contention towards the end of the season.

Wright-Phillips has started only three Premier League games since January with coach Avram Grant opting to play Florent Malouda, Joe Cole or Salomon Kalou on the flanks.

But, despite his lack of first-team opportunities, Wright-Phillips remains happy to fight for his place.

He has also been linked with a move to Aston Villa or his former club Manchester City.

Bit more information in todays Journal to chew on .

The point is Mario Gomez is the least likely target so far we have had in this summer. Even worse than Modric.

He is labelled as the younger and faster version of Luca Toni and has proved that he is currently the best striker for Germany.

I really can't see any possibilities of getting him.

You think Elano has a higher profile just because he played a handful of decent games in England for City at the start of the season? Wow.

As for Petrov: He wasn't a regular at Atletico anymore when he left and they wanted to get rid of him as much as the player wanted to go. When we signed Luque, Deportivo had missed out on European football, while Newcastle had not and were willing to massively increase his wages. Totally different scenarios.

Of course there is nothing wrong with going to try to sign players like Gomez. I am all for this. All what I am saying is that the chances of signing these players are incredible slim. And in case of Gomez I am not basing this on some hypothetical scenario, but on direct quotes from the player about his future plans.

where do you live?  the english PL, whether you want to believe it or not, has a higher profile than the german bundesliga and spanish PL...ergo elano will get more exposure for his "handful" of decent games (jesus)

good insight on petrov, perhaps because of the lack of exposure i get to the spanish league (ahem) i still thought he was the pacy, tricky, quality left winger spurs were looking to pay 10m for and who turned to out to do a decent job in england in the end

your point about luque only backs me up - you really think a player would leave deportivo where he played in the CL semis and challenged for the spanish title simply 'cause they missed europe and we were in the uefa qualifying rounds?  get a grip man

Of course does the English league gets more exposure. I won't dispute that. But if you'd ask people from Spain, Italy, France etc. who they think has a higher profile I don't think too many would rate Elano above van der Vaart.

In regard to Luque: Yes, I think Newcastle had much more pulling power back then to attract higher profile players from foreign leagues.

Iirc, Luque was in the Depor side that knocked us out of Europe about a month before we signed him.

The point is Mario Gomez is the least likely target so far we have had in this summer. Even worse than Modric.

He is labelled as the younger and faster version of Luca Toni and has proved that he is currently the best striker for Germany.

I really can't see any possibilities of getting him.

Maybe he'll look at what's happened to Berbatov's reputation when he came here for a similar sized club.

Of course does the English league gets more exposure. I won't dispute that. But if you'd ask people from Spain, Italy, France etc. who they think has a higher profile I don't think too many would rate Elano above van der Vaart.

In regard to Luque: Yes, I think Newcastle had much more pulling power back then to attract higher profile players from foreign leagues.

van der vaart has been in a top euro league for a while...elano came from relative obscurity in russia. maybe in a year or so elano's "profile" will be as high.

Iirc, Luque was in the Depor side that knocked us out of Europe about a month before we signed him.

Ah well, forgot about that...

Do you want any tips regarding this year's golden boot?

Maybe he'll look at what's happened to Berbatov's reputation when he came here for a similar sized club.

He doesn't need that. He has already done this in Stuggart and his next step is definitely going to choose a club that can win Champions League.

Put it in this way: he is classified by the top clubs as the best striker in the world under 23 years old. He has already gain the hype similar to Berbatov. Those watching EPL may not know this but the fact that he is the definite starter for Germany speaks all. Now it's Klose and Podolski who wish the get a place alongside Mario Gomez. No other player except Ballack has similar status in Germany.

Of coz I hope our club can sign some great players, but it's really pointless to have expectations for such kinda player.

Gomez? ;)

Gomez? ;)

Nah, Baros might be a safer bet... :laugh:

Guest MagFinnPie

did we have Euro football when we signed Owen, its all about the picture you paint out ( and how well you forge it  :pow:)

He doesn't need that. He has already done this in Stuggart and his next step is definitely going to choose a club that can win Champions League.

Put it in this way: he is classified by the top clubs as the best striker in the world under 23 years old. He has already gain the hype similar to Berbatov. Those watching EPL may not know this but the fact that he is the definite starter for Germany speaks all. Now it's Klose and Podolski who wish the get a place alongside Mario Gomez. No other player except Ballack has similar status in Germany.

Of coz I hope our club can sign some great players, but it's really pointless to have expectations for such kinda player.

Is this actually true? To be honest, I had only heard of the lad once or twice before he was linked to us, and had envisioned his stature in Europe to be more along the lines of Huntelaar ie. potentially very good young striker currently tearing up a mid-tier European league.

Not to be too critical but nobody's seen what he can do against real quality opposition. Podolski was putting up similar numbers a couple of years ago and he's been well and truly found out since moving to Bayern. I don't deny that he's a player with talent, but how exactly are people so sure that he's one of the best strikers in the world and way, way, way too good for us?

i thought ballack ... klose ... podolski ... schweinsteiger were all of similar sort of status in germany?

Ballack is the captain so he is the definite starter.

Klose's form has been very inconsistent and people has lost faith --- to be fair he hasn't score much in the 2nd half of the season. Toni and Ribery did most of the work and claim back the Champ for Bayern, but generally the German players in Bayern were all performing quite bad.

Podolski is a regular bench warmer in Bayern. He's still in the national squad is because he did perform well every time he play for the national team but he is no longer a definite starter.

Similar reason applies to Schweinsteiger. He is s*** this season, simply s***.

Is this actually true? To be honest, I had only heard of the lad once or twice before he was linked to us, and had envisioned his stature in Europe to be more along the lines of Huntelaar ie. potentially very good young striker currently tearing up a mid-tier European league.

Not to be too critical but nobody's seen what he can do against real quality opposition. Podolski was putting up similar numbers a couple of years ago and he's been well and truly found out since moving to Bayern. I don't deny that he's a player with talent, but how exactly are people so sure that he's one of the best strikers in the world and way, way, way too good for us?

I have read tons of reports praising him from Germany's media. Certainly there is over hyping but the fact that he has been performing marvelously for 2 seasons and scored a lot did explain why he is the best striker in Germany now.

I agree that he is not proven yet in Europe competition, but why people rate him so high is because he has the physical strength and pace that Podolski and Huntelaar don't have. Podolski cannot make it because he is not fast enough but the same reason will not apply to Gomez, who is taller, stronger, and faster.

I have read tons of reports praising him from Germany's media. Certainly there is over hyping but the fact that he has been performing marvelously for 2 seasons and scored a lot did explain why he is the best striker in Germany now.

I agree that he is not proven yet in Europe competition, but why people rate him so high is because he has the physical strength and pace that Podolski and Huntelaar don't have. Podolski cannot make it because he is not fast enough but the same reason will not apply to Gomez, who is taller, stronger, and faster.

sad indictment of the way some look at the game. yes those attributes are nice but don't go even half way to making a good player. nouse,poise and technique are all greater attributes.

Funny the way a player is either not good enough to play for us or we are incapable of attracting him.

I'd never heard of Gomez until we were linked with him, now i'm not doubting he's a huge talent but "too big" for this club.... fuck off.

Every year the same drivel about how we can't attract big/good players anymore.

Funny the way a player is either not good enough to play for us or we are incapable of attracting him.

I'd never heard of Gomez until we were linked with him, now i'm not doubting he's a huge talent but "too big" for this club.... f*** off.

Honestly I don't know where this talk saying he won't come to us becuase he'd walk straight into the Real/Arsenal/Liverpool first team is coming from. He's a 22 year old playing in a mediocre league who hasn't had a single outstanding game against good opposition yet.

Like I said, I see him as having about the same stature as Huntelaar or Berbatov/Eduardo prior to their moves to England. It's a bit of stretch but if he wants consistent first team football in a top tier league aren't us/Spurs/Everton/Villa about as good as he's going to get? Fair enough if he prefers slowly breaking into a CL squad, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that we could get him.

sad indictment of the way some look at the game. yes those attributes are nice but don't go even half way to making a good player. nouse,poise and technique are all greater attributes.

Certainly, but for a striker or a forward nowadays, you need to be physically outstanding in order to make it in the highest level. A good example is Eto'o, who has lost his exploding pace after injury and has been extremely shit. If Spurs sign him for 24m it will be a heaven like news for us --- a even worse signing then Bent.

Gomez is great in finishing. I wouldn't say he is technically better than Klose but he is a lot more consistent. To be fair I rate him same as Klose as a goal threat, but he is only 22 years old and is already doing wonders. He also has the physique to make it and that's the reason why he has a very promising future, unlike Podolski.

I'd never heard of Gomez until we were linked with him, now i'm not doubting he's a huge talent but "too big" for this club.... f*** off.

Honestly I don't know where this talk saying he won't come to us becuase he'd walk straight into the Real/Arsenal/Liverpool first team is coming from.

Like I said, I see him as having about the same stature as Huntelaar or Berbatov/Eduardo prior to their moves to England. It's a bit of stretch but if he wants consistent first team football in a top tier league aren't us/Spurs/Everton/Villa about as good as he's going to get? Fair enough if he prefers slowly breaking into a CL squad, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that we could get him.

Exactly, i think to myself, Thierry Henry wouldn't walk into any of them sides but Mario Gomez is a dead cert, it's ridiculas.

I understand that our stock has fallen and i understand that there will be other good clubs in for him but to say it's undoable is just stupid.

Are people forgetting we are still the 13th richest club in the world and statistically the 5th best overal performers in the premierleague (which is the best league in the world).

Honestly I don't know where this talk saying he won't come to us becuase he'd walk straight into the Real/Arsenal/Liverpool first team is coming from. He's a 22 year old playing in a mediocre league who hasn't had a single outstanding game against good opposition yet.

This. It's not necessarily a probable transfer, but by no means impossible...