Bobby Robson Friendly Match

Guest Texasmag

Have signed it, but why not take it one step further - Newcastle could host a bi-annual tournament in SBR's name, and invite one of his former clubs to take part each time, with perhaps the inaugral tournament featuring all teams who SBR has managed. Again, all proceeds to go to the SBR foundation. This would be a far more fitting legacy to the man as opposed to naming a stand in his honour which has been bandied around recently.

It's a crying shame no one at the club has had the foresight to set this up already. With the old fella looking to be in deteriorating health, I think it would have been a nice gesture for him to see something like this set up already, so he could at least be guest of honour at the first tournament. He's lived and breathed football all his life, is there a more fitting way to honour the man?

I know it's a good cause and i applaud the effort, but I can't help but think that if this does build up a head of steam it would put the club in an invidious position.

If they refuse it's a slap in the face. If they accept it's a commitment to playing a fair sized club every year for little reward. Ipswich don't particularly benefit from a Newcastle visit like the lower league teams we'd normally visit, and Ipswich wouldn't draw a crowd to St James' like the European giants we normally invite over.

I know it's not about benefitting the clubs, but I think the first team squad shouldn't be playing regular charity games.

Guest optimistic nit

Great idea, i have signed.

Maybe have some sort of Sir Bobby Cup pre season tournament with proceeds going to his charity.  Would be better than flying to Japan and playing in the Umbro Cup or some other daft corporate pre season shenanigans.

I like the tournament idea more than anything else suggested so far, could become a staple thing for a few years including a raft of previous clubs (whoever was available)?

PSV, Barcelona, Sporting, Porto, Us, Ipswich, Fulham and WBA aren't exactly a bad pool to choose from!

Obviously the venue could change each year, along with the participants. It'd be a bugger to organise, but could be a very nice touch for a very good man.

the "sir boby robson tournement"  :thup:

it should get held at the stadium of the previous winners, first one at the toon.

Great idea, i have signed.

Maybe have some sort of Sir Bobby Cup pre season tournament with proceeds going to his charity.  Would be better than flying to Japan and playing in the Umbro Cup or some other daft corporate pre season shenanigans.

I like the tournament idea more than anything else suggested so far, could become a staple thing for a few years including a raft of previous clubs (whoever was available)?

PSV, Barcelona, Sporting, Porto, Us, Ipswich, Fulham and WBA aren't exactly a bad pool to choose from!

Obviously the venue could change each year, along with the participants. It'd be a bugger to organise, but could be a very nice touch for a very good man.

the "sir boby robson tournement:thup:

it should get held at the stadium of the previous winners, first one at the toon.

As long as you're not in charge of advertising such an event. ;)

Guest saintscoobz

Come on this is such a great idea, i am actually a little shocked it hasnt surfaced before.  The man dedicated all his life to the beautiful game and that should be recognised.  I think he would prefer an actual football event (ie pre season tournament) as opposed to naming a stand after him.

Those who say it would not be worth while playing teams like Ipswich every year obviously are forgetting that Sir Bobby was associated with some giants of European football.  I am sure a 4 team tournament featuring Newcastle, Ipswich, Barcelona and PSV or Porto would draw a canny crowd.

I know i would pay money to see it.  

I know it's a good cause and i applaud the effort, but I can't help but think that if this does build up a head of steam it would put the club in an invidious position.

If they refuse it's a slap in the face. If they accept it's a commitment to playing a fair sized club every year for little reward. Ipswich don't particularly benefit from a Newcastle visit like the lower league teams we'd normally visit, and Ipswich wouldn't draw a crowd to St James' like the European giants we normally invite over.

I know it's not about benefitting the clubs, but I think the first team squad shouldn't be playing regular charity games.

What are the costs for us, though?

Because it's for a damn good cause, and the costs to the first team's preparation being quite negligible (as who you play/what you do on the pitch preseason has never really had an impact on how your season actually goes), a regular thing would be quite a good thing.

Guest Texasmag

The petition is nearly 2000 signatures and growing. The comments that people are leaving are all positive, and they want this to happen.

Supermac was giving it a mention tonight on Legends.

We have a website set up for the cause.

http://nufcvsipswich.talk-of-the-tyne.co.uk/

Admin, is there any chance you could make the website a sticky so that people can read about it and spread the word please? You will be mentioned in the credits.

Thanks again for supporting this, and I have passed on your suggestions which are great. :clap:

Guest Jawesome

I think we should have a quadangular tournament in the toon with Rangers and Celtic alongside us and Ipswich.

wouldnt something like a one off newcastle united 11 vs england 11 attract more publicity/ make more money for the charity?

or maybe a tornament including barcelona/ ipswich/ newcastle/ psv or the likes, annually, much better idea than the shitty newcastle/ gateshead cup

wouldnt something like a one off newcastle united 11 vs england 11 attract more publicity/ make more money for the charity?

or maybe a tornament including barcelona/ ipswich/ newcastle/ psv or the likes, annually, much better idea than the shitty newcastle/ gateshead cup

i like the idea of a tournament with barca, it would increase the profile of the whole thing. It be annual and each team could take their turn in hosting it