Show some pride in your club people

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I'm sick and tired of reading comments how we aren't capable of competing for players, why this and that player won't sign for us or would rather move to another club, and so on and so on. It's doing my fucking head in as every player we seem to get linked with is either not good enough, too good for us, or will go somewhere else the moment some other club shows an interest. We are not Barcelona aye, but we are not fucking sunderland or some other shitty no mark, we are Newcastle United one of the richest clubs in Europe, with one of the biggest stadiums in the country, with a world wide appeal.

We are known throughout the world as a big English club. Players want to play for this club, some will walk here over broken glass, some will have to make a few decisions as to their choices, where as some we'll have to convince. We'll lose out on players too. We will sign top quality players though, we always have done and always will do because we are a big club, a rich club, an ambitious club going places.

The UEFA Cup is not that fucking special :lol: CL aye, but then that didn't stop Habib Beye from joining us, or Emre, Martins et al. We are not Liverpool or Man Utd agreed, but neither are fucking Spurs or Everton and if people seriously think we can't compete with them, I say bollocks to that. Again, the UEFA cup isn't that special. Indeed it's pretty insignificant in terms of trophies to many players, a step down or just another competition to the real biggy, the CL.

I guarantee the lure of the Premier League and money is far more appealing to today's footballers than the poxy UEFA Cup, a very poor competition in the main that isn't exactly pitting your wits against the cream of the crop. Fuck me Boro got to the Final under Steve McLaren, so did Walter Smith with his shitty no mark Rangers side who would struggle in the Premier League which is where it's really at and we my brethren are the 5th biggest club in that league, despite our poor finish and recent woes. Our resident Spurs, Toffee and Villa fan may disagree with that but sorry, I believe in my club and so should you  :thup:

Spot on mate, exactly how I feel.  :thup:

Despite our recent woes we are a far more attractive club than many on here realise and I believe ANY player bar the 'truely world class' stars are attainable.

Well said.  In fact, didn't Emre & Parker sign for us instead of Everton in the summer they finished 4th?  I seem to recall remember Moyes complaining about it at the time. 

Mid table is mid table when it comes to signing foreign players, and money will be the decider 9 times out of 10 not whether you finished 6th or 12th.  It doesn't mean that all players are necessarily greedy, but that is simply how it works when you are making a career decision.  Having said that, a healthy dose of realism (not pessimism) is a good thing so people don't get carried away.  As in 25 pages of nail biting over some Turk that nobody has heard of for example.  Or pissing ourselves because we haven't signed anyone on the 22 May. 

I f***ing love nufc!

Its in my blood, its in my soul, I f***ing love it and hate it at the same time :) in a good way!

this post has inspired me into remmembering that at the end of the day, if i was cut, im sure i'd bleed black and white!

or it could be the beer/whiskey/wine/vodka....but i doubt it

Guest Heneage

I'm a fan, but I also see the failings, that does not mean I love them anymore or any less than the other 52000 on a Saturday.

Guest justin99.

I would prefer the club spent 20mil on the academy and coaches than bend over backwards to try and sign a deco etc.

There's been a problem about attracting players to the North-East for many years now. In the post-Hall era, we've been able to compensate by paying good wages, and being competitive at the right end of the table. Now, other clubs have got ahead of us in terms of performance on the field, and it looks like the new regime may be a bit more keen to impose a wage structure rather than break the bank for particular individuals like Owen.

I'm not pessimistic about the long-term future of the club, because we have a huge ground, good support and no debts. In the short-term, we may have to be more patient. Since slipping out of the top four, it's felt like we've been a bit manic, chasing big name signings that are supposedly going to catapult us back up, rather than building a team. That attitude needs to change.

There's been a problem about attracting players to the North-East for many years now. In the post-Hall era, we've been able to compensate by paying good wages, and being competitive at the right end of the table. Now, other clubs have got ahead of us in terms of performance on the field, and it looks like the new regime may be a bit more keen to impose a wage structure rather than break the bank for particular individuals like Owen.

I'm not pessimistic about the long-term future of the club, because we have a huge ground, good support and no debts. In the short-term, we may have to be more patient. Since slipping out of the top four, it's felt like we've been a bit manic, chasing big name signings that are supposedly going to catapult us back up, rather than building a team. That attitude needs to change.

fact is for all we talk as a club like spurs, and many of us want to compete in that way, i honestly think we'll have to be more of an everton than a spurs or arsenal simply 'cause when it comes to signing a nasri/modric/ben arfa/benzema or whoever now there's too much pull elsewhere - it's like vultures circling a dead body these days man

unless we offer big wages these players will go elsewhere

we need a period of signing then developing the lescotts/cahills of this world before we'll be able to get the higher end kids from the continent, UNLESS we pay daft wages

doesn't mean i've not got pride in the club, just being realistic about it...the tozers of this world know who we are and would walk to SJP in my opinion, a 20 year old johnny foreigner would likely not...

A healthy dose of realism does no harm can be realistic and still love your club. Would rather have realism than we are going to sign this superstar or that superstar or ten. If the current realism of the fans helps Kev build a team then good.

We are where we are and i wouldnt mind being in Evertons, Spurs or Villas position at the moment and the UEFA though not the competition it was still has an attraction for the players we are able to attract hence Modric signing for Spurs (no doubt location played a part also) plus when we where in it a couple of seasons back i would have gladly taken the poxy competition as would many many others.

As for us having a world wide appeal and being known as the 5th biggest club in England i really think that is statement is nonsense, more like known as a club with a great ground which is packed every home game even though we havent won a domestic trophy for at least 5 decades.

I am sure that we will bring players in during the summer and no doubt they will be quality but if these players dont include such as  Henri and Deco swallowing up large chunks of the wage bill then so be it.

I thinks Kevs outburst after Chelsea game was to keep everyones feet on the ground and long may it continue we are a fair old distance from Everton and Villa at the moment and it will take time.

The same pride that meant you were not going to have anything more to do with this club when Big Sam got sacked?

Didn't HTT have a huge rant at the club and shut down his website a few years ago? Can't remember what it was about though. Anyone?

Yeah, stop being realistic people.

Gordon Strachan once said "Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down."

;)

That said though, there is some middle ground between the naysayers and the head-in-the-clouds perspectives. One can have pride in one's club while maintaining circumspection...

I'm sick and tired of reading comments how we aren't capable of competing for players, why this and that player won't sign for us or would rather move to another club, and so on and so on. It's doing my f***ing head in as every player we seem to get linked with is either not good enough, too good for us, or will go somewhere else the moment some other club shows an interest. We are not Barcelona aye, but we are not f***ing sunderland or some other shitty no mark, we are Newcastle United one of the richest clubs in Europe, with one of the biggest stadiums in the country, with a world wide appeal.

We are known throughout the world as a big English club. Players want to play for this club, some will walk here over broken glass, some will have to make a few decisions as to their choices, where as some we'll have to convince. We'll lose out on players too. We will sign top quality players though, we always have done and always will do because we are a big club, a rich club, an ambitious club going places.

The UEFA Cup is not that f***ing special :lol: CL aye, but then that didn't stop Habib Beye from joining us, or Emre, Martins et al. We are not Liverpool or Man Utd agreed, but neither are f***ing Spurs or Everton and if people seriously think we can't compete with them, I say bollocks to that. Again, the UEFA cup isn't that special. Indeed it's pretty insignificant in terms of trophies to many players, a step down or just another competition to the real biggy, the CL.

I guarantee the lure of the Premier League and money is far more appealing to today's footballers than the poxy UEFA Cup, a very poor competition in the main that isn't exactly pitting your wits against the cream of the crop. f*** me Boro got to the Final under Steve McLaren, so did Walter Smith with his shitty no mark Rangers side who would struggle in the Premier League which is where it's really at and we my brethren are the 5th biggest club in that league, despite our poor finish and recent woes. Our resident Spurs, Toffee and Villa fan may disagree with that but sorry, I believe in my club and so should you  :thup:

As Brian Clough once famously said, 'If my Aunt had b---s, she'd be my Uncle'...

In other words, you can't make things into what they aren't, and we are NOT a top club at this time ;

Well-supported, yes, Rich Chairman, yes, great History yes, wonderful stadium, yes....

We are not successful in winning trophies or signing the best players(apart from Shearer, you'd ,be hard-pressed to name one who would have got into Man U's side over the past 5 years(or even Chelsea or Arsenal's..)

However much you may love the club and know its potential, you cannot avoid the facts and one of these is that we are NOT currently a draw for top players, hence the reason many fans admit that 'we can't sign player x, etc etc'..

They are NOT being negative, simply realistic - however much we love KK, it has to be admitted that the only things he has achieved as a manager are promotions - no top silverware, and that is how top clubs are perceived, even by many of our own supporters, esp younger ones.

Unless this changes, we will see an increasing drift away from supporting NUFC by local youngsters in favour of top sides like Man U - some have already commented on this recently.

Being 'positive' is not the whole answer - we do need a positive approach from everyone at the club, but it has to be backed by results ; that is, and has always been, the benchmark in football as every other sport.

There are too many people these days who snatch at realism and turn it into negativity - an unrealistically optimistic view is just as damaging as being negative..

IF we finish Top 6 next season, OR win a trophy, THEN we can start expecting better players to want to join us.

Yip.  We'll pull the players in. Provided that we are willing to pay for them

Ashley has shown f*** all yet.

The fact that Ashley has been silent on the public front can be nothing but good in my opinion. Showing up in the away end means he is getting the fans on his side (although he hasn't fooled Crumpy Gunt yet) and his silence in the media is positive. Shepherd branding the women of this city as dogs or whatever just made the fans hate him, and blame him when things went wrong.

Ashley's silence merely means he is trying to run the club in a quiet, efficient way. He also must be switched on enough to realize we get enough media attention without him giving interviews and risk drawing more criticism from the media hounds.

Guest MaetihS

A healthy dose of realism does no harm can be realistic and still love your club. Would rather have realism than we are going to sign this superstar or that superstar or ten. If the current realism of the fans helps Kev build a team then good.

We are where we are and i wouldnt mind being in Evertons, Spurs or Villas position at the moment and the UEFA though not the competition it was still has an attraction for the players we are able to attract hence Modric signing for Spurs (no doubt location played a part also) plus when we where in it a couple of seasons back i would have gladly taken the poxy competition as would many many others.

As for us having a world wide appeal and being known as the 5th biggest club in England i really think that is statement is nonsense, more like known as a club with a great ground which is packed every home game even though we havent won a domestic trophy for at least 5 decades.

I am sure that we will bring players in during the summer and no doubt they will be quality but if these players dont include such as  Henri and Deco swallowing up large chunks of the wage bill then so be it.

I thinks Kevs outburst after Chelsea game was to keep everyones feet on the ground and long may it continue we are a fair old distance from Everton and Villa at the moment and it will take time.

Sensible. A refresher of realism rather than the nonsensical stuff of us being a big club running around these days.

Guest MaetihS

I'm sick and tired of reading comments how we aren't capable of competing for players, why this and that player won't sign for us or would rather move to another club, and so on and so on. It's doing my f***ing head in as every player we seem to get linked with is either not good enough, too good for us, or will go somewhere else the moment some other club shows an interest. We are not Barcelona aye, but we are not f***ing sunderland or some other shitty no mark, we are Newcastle United one of the richest clubs in Europe, with one of the biggest stadiums in the country, with a world wide appeal.

The UEFA Cup is not that f***ing special :lol: CL aye, but then that didn't stop Habib Beye from joining us, or Emre, Martins et al. We are not Liverpool or Man Utd agreed, but neither are f***ing Spurs or Everton and if people seriously think we can't compete with them, I say bollocks to that. Again, the UEFA cup isn't that special. Indeed it's pretty insignificant in terms of trophies to many players, a step down or just another competition to the real biggy, the CL.

I guarantee the lure of the Premier League and money is far more appealing to today's footballers than the poxy UEFA Cup, a very poor competition in the main that isn't exactly pitting your wits against the cream of the crop. f*** me Boro got to the Final under Steve McLaren, so did Walter Smith with his shitty no mark Rangers side who would struggle in the Premier League which is where it's really at and we my brethren are the 5th biggest club in that league, despite our poor finish and recent woes. Our resident Spurs, Toffee and Villa fan may disagree with that but sorry, I believe in my club and so should you  :thup:

Partly right. A true fan is one that should support the club regardless how dire it is (we are close to that) and not day-dream that we are a big club and ought to be thrashing teams outside the top 6. I need not believe in the club's pulling power, ambitions and whether it is big; it is big in the heart in the sense that it occupies a big part of my life so regardless of performance and silverware and what not, i will still support it. There are many realist fans out there who is pretty sure or expect another average to poor performance next season and after next .....but they still continue to support it. Its just that as it stands now, we are leagues away from where we want to be and these fans accept it graciously but their weekends will always be filled with Newcastle mania.