Today's Paper Talk.... (It's May btw)

Guest johnson293

Guest LucaAltieri

Ashley selling again then eh? :lol:

Aye, for someone who's made millions as a salesman he's certainly labouring over offloading Newcastle United.

So not only is our owner looking to sell, but he's also identifying a new manager?

And not only is our manager going to be sacked, but he's also identifying transfer targets?

Wow, only in British tabloids :lol:

Why is it that all this stuff happens on a sunday?

It's almost like they make it up.

Now, now let's not make heinous allegations in the face of these new, tragic stories.

We all need to get together and think positive things, being a big negative sillyface like you does the club no favours at a time like this.

To sell papers.  Cos people up here will by anything that has NUFC on it.  The dafter th headline the more people will buy it. I remember the Sunday Mirrorrunning a story that we were going to buy Ashley Col from Arsenal.  Ha ha.  Oh how i laughed.

Now, now let's not make heinous allegations in the face of these new, tragic stories.

We all need to get together and think positive things, being a big negative sillyface like you does the club no favours at a time like this.

:lol:

Marcelino in, King Kev out?

May 25 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE are again considering replacing Kevin Keegan with top Spanish coach Marcelino, according to sources in Spain.

Talk of United’s interest in Marcelino began in March but died down amid their late-season mini-revival under Keegan.

However, the Magpies are said to be one of a handful of clubs to have contacted Marcelino’s agents this week following his resignation as Racing Santander coach.

And the Sunday Sun understands that United have been in regular communication with the 42-year-old’s representatives via a member of their new scouting network in Spain.

Marcelino — full name Marcelino Garcia Toral — stunned Spanish football by securing a sixth-place finish for relative minnows Santander in his first season at the club.

But he walked out on Wednesday, insisting Racing do not have the resources to fulfil his managerial ambitions.

He has since confirmed that Valencia and “other teams” have spoken to his agents.

But with Valencia having only just unveiled Unai Emery as their new coach, it seems unlikely Marcelino will start next season there.

And he and Newcastle are directly linked through scout Pablo Longoria.

Having identified several new signings for Marcelino at Racing last summer and during his time at previous club Recreativo de Huelva, the Sunday Sun can reveal that Longoria — thought to be just 21 — is now talent-spotting in Europe on behalf of Newcastle.

And with the two men remaining close, it is little wonder that talk is rife in Spain of a United approach for Marcelino.

Longoria is liaising with Newcastle’s technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere in scouring Europe for bright young talent.

But the young Spaniard has no professional background in football, with his apparently encyclopaedic knowledge of players across the Continent said to be gained from the Internet.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2008/05/25/marcelino-in-king-kev-out-79310-20970575/

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth in this.

so he took racing to 6th place....erm good achievment, but it would disgraceful if we replaced KK with him based on that!

Perhaps the club see him as a highly rated young manager who would work well with the youth policy they're trying to implement into the club.

I don't think Keegan is as popular behind the scenes as he is on the terraces lets just say.

If Ashley got offered £300 million he probably would sell IMO, but I think he'll have a long wait before someone offers that much for us.

Why would he?  It makes absolutely no sense to sell..  Billionaires don't buy Football clubs to make money, its a terrible investment, they buy them to achieve status, glory or because they just love Football.

If Ashley got offered £300 million he probably would sell IMO, but I think he'll have a long wait before someone offers that much for us.

Why would he?  It makes absolutely no sense to sell..

Because the club isn't worth anywhere near that so he'd be happy with his £60 million profit for 12 months work?

Everything's got a price.

so he took racing to 6th place....erm good achievment, but it would disgraceful if we replaced KK with him based on that!

Perhaps the club see him as a highly rated young manager who would work well with the youth policy they're trying to implement into the club.

I don't think Keegan is as popular behind the scenes as he is on the terraces lets just say.

Based on what? Seems strange they'd bring him in if they didn't really like him.

It's certainly not an outrageous concept that they may be thinking of moving Keegan on and bringing in a younger man who they may feel more comfortable with, if there are problems with Keegan behind the scenes that is.

It'd be an incredible risk to take mind you, getting rid of a fans hero like Keegan and replacing him with someone that 99% of our fans will never have even heard of. Marcelino has done well in his very short managerial career so far, but he's not proven class by any means and could easily be a complete disaster.

That said this guy could be the next big thing in management for all we know, and getting him in now could end up being an absolute masterstroke.

I think it's probably too risky for them to seriously consider though.

Because the club isn't worth anywhere near that so he'd be happy with his £60 million profit for 12 months work?

What's he going to do with that £300 million?  Go and buy a different club and start all over again so he can add £60 million to billions he already has?  This bloke bets that kind of money on the stock market, he isn't going to cancel out everything he's been trying to achieve over the last 12 months just as its really beginning for £60 million..

It's certainly not an outrageous concept that they may be thinking of moving Keegan on and bringing in a younger man who they may feel more comfortable with, if there are problems with Keegan behind the scenes that is.

It'd be an incredible risk to take mind you, getting rid of a fans hero like Keegan and replacing him with someone that 99% of our fans will never have even heard of. Marcelino has done well in his very short managerial career so far, but he's not proven class by any means and could easily be a complete disaster.

That said this guy could be the next big thing in management for all we know, and getting him in now could end up being an absolute masterstroke.

They'd instantly lose the backing of most if not all the fans if they got rid of Keegan now. It'd be PR suicide, and they'd have to be utterly brainless to not know it.

Based on what? Seems strange they'd bring him in if they didn't really like him.

I didn't say they didn't like him when they brought him in though, Dave.

I've heard they brought him in with the intention of implementing the new system with Wise and Vetere and trying to bring in the top young talent which Keegan agreed to, now he's settled in and has his feet under the table he's been going out of the way to make the system fail by being awkward just so he can get his way and sign older experienced players.

The problem being that Keegan has such huge support from the fans which makes the situation more difficult, if Keegan were to offer his resignation like he was fond of doing under SJH then I reckon Ashley would snap his arm off before he had chance to change his mind.

They'd instantly lose the backing of most if not all the fans if they got rid of Keegan now. It'd be PR suicide, and they'd have to be utterly brainless to not know it.

Aye, as I said I really can't see it unless there are real problems with Keegan behind the scenes that they don't think they can solve.

What's he going to do with that £300 million?  Go and buy a different club and start all over again so he can add £60 million to billions he already has?  This bloke bets that kind of money on the stock market, he isn't going to cancel out everything he's been trying to achieve over the last 12 months just as its really beginning for £60 million..

He's a business man and his main interest is making money, if he was the big fan and was interested in running the club as a hobby then he'd have pumped more of his money into the club on transfers rather than setting it up to run as a business, the fact that he hasn't suggests to me that he doesn't see it as a hobby at all.

That doesn't mean he doesn't want to make us successful because by doing so he'll increase the value of the club, I don't think he's actively looking to sell either but if he had the chance to make a 20% profit then I think he would sell and tbh it wouldn't bother me either as whoever owns the club will want whats best for it and that is success.