Today's Paper Talk.... (It's May btw)

Guest johnson293

No reason to believe you over anyone else then?

Not trying to catch you out, just saying loads of people have 'heard' all sorts, and nobody wants to prove anything. Have you heard anything else in the past that has turned out to be true?

What's to stop me posting that I've heard Keegan is happier than he's ever been and can't wait to get on with next season, Ashley loves him and is going to give him loads to spend, and that things couldn't be rosier at the club?

Not trying to catch you out, just saying loads of people have 'heard' all sorts, and nobody wants to prove anything. Have you heard anything else in the past that has turned out to be true?

You can believe what you like, Dave.

I'm not here to convince you of anything and tbh I wouldn't want to be thought of as some sort of ITK anyway considering the shit others get on here.

You can believe what you like, Dave.

I'm not here to convince you of anything and tbh I wouldn't want to be thought of as some sort of ITK anyway considering the shit others get on here.

That's mainly because they talk shit though.

"he's been going out of the way to make the system fail by being awkward just so he can get his way and sign older experienced players."

I'm not trying to be a smartarse or anything but he hasn't signed anyone yet has he? I thought he had a list and Wise had a list and they agreed the joint list weeks ago? So that statement above doesn't really make sense to me at all.

Guest Knightrider

so he took racing to 6th place....erm good achievment, but it would disgraceful if we replaced KK with him based on that!

Perhaps the club see him as a highly rated young manager who would work well with the youth policy they're trying to implement into the club.

I don't think Keegan is as popular behind the scenes as he is on the terraces lets just say.

It's certainly not an outrageous concept that they may be thinking of moving Keegan on and bringing in a younger man who they may feel more comfortable with, if there are problems with Keegan behind the scenes that is.

It'd be an incredible risk to take mind you, getting rid of a fans hero like Keegan and replacing him with someone that 99% of our fans will never have even heard of. Marcelino has done well in his very short managerial career so far, but he's not proven class by any means and could easily be a complete disaster.

That said this guy could be the next big thing in management for all we know, and getting him in now could end up being an absolute masterstroke.

I think it's probably too risky for them to seriously consider though.

They'd instantly lose the backing of most if not all the fans if they got rid of Keegan now. It'd be PR suicide, and they'd have to be utterly brainless to not know it.

If KK got sacked or walked because he was being undermined, Ashley will be the only bloke at SJP with a Toon top on other than the players on the pitch next season as fans would walk with KK.

"he's been going out of the way to make the system fail by being awkward just so he can get his way and sign older experienced players."

I'm not trying to be a smartarse or anything but he hasn't signed anyone yet has he? I thought he had a list and Wise had a list and they agreed the joint list weeks ago? So that statement above doesn't really make sense to me at all.

Wise's list was a list of players that Keegan was going to look at.

If Ashley got offered £300 million he probably would sell IMO, but I think he'll have a long wait before someone offers that much for us.

Why would he?  It makes absolutely no sense to sell..

Because the club isn't worth anywhere near that so he'd be happy with his £60 million profit for 12 months work?

Everything's got a price.

What's he going to do with that £300 million?  Go and buy a different club and start all over again so he can add £60 million to billions he already has?  This bloke bets that kind of money on the stock market, he isn't going to cancel out everything he's been trying to achieve over the last 12 months just as its really beginning for £60 million..

He's a business man and his main interest is making money, if he was the big fan and was interested in running the club as a hobby then he'd have pumped more of his money into the club on transfers rather than setting it up to run as a business, the fact that he hasn't suggests to me that he doesn't see it as a hobby at all.

That doesn't mean he doesn't want to make us successful because by doing so he'll increase the value of the club, I don't think he's actively looking to sell either but if he had the chance to make a 20% profit then I think he would sell and tbh it wouldn't bother me either as whoever owns the club will want whats best for it and that is success.

Just because he's not willing to do an abramovich that doesn't mean he's in it for the money.  It just means he's not willing to make huge losses to achieve what he wants.  No billionaire in his right mind buys a Football club to make money, they can make more in a reasonable low risk investment that they don't even have to be personally involved in.  Its pretty clear to me that Ashley is in this to achieve something.  I can't see him saying "Ah well never mind, back to Sports Direct" because someone offers him a small profit.

so he took racing to 6th place....erm good achievment, but it would disgraceful if we replaced KK with him based on that!

Perhaps the club see him as a highly rated young manager who would work well with the youth policy they're trying to implement into the club.

I don't think Keegan is as popular behind the scenes as he is on the terraces lets just say.

It's certainly not an outrageous concept that they may be thinking of moving Keegan on and bringing in a younger man who they may feel more comfortable with, if there are problems with Keegan behind the scenes that is.

It'd be an incredible risk to take mind you, getting rid of a fans hero like Keegan and replacing him with someone that 99% of our fans will never have even heard of. Marcelino has done well in his very short managerial career so far, but he's not proven class by any means and could easily be a complete disaster.

That said this guy could be the next big thing in management for all we know, and getting him in now could end up being an absolute masterstroke.

They'd instantly lose the backing of most if not all the fans if they got rid of Keegan now. It'd be PR suicide, and they'd have to be utterly brainless to not know it.

If KK got sacked or walked because he was being undermined, Ashley will be the only bloke at SJP with a Toon top on other than the players on the pitch next season as fans would walk with KK.

Just because you like to threaten to walk out on the club when something doesn't go your way doesn't mean everyone else would.

Based on what? Seems strange they'd bring him in if they didn't really like him.

I didn't say they didn't like him when they brought him in though, Dave.

I've heard they brought him in with the intention of implementing the new system with Wise and Vetere and trying to bring in the top young talent which Keegan agreed to, now he's settled in and has his feet under the table he's been going out of the way to make the system fail by being awkward just so he can get his way and sign older experienced players.

The problem being that Keegan has such huge support from the fans which makes the situation more difficult, if Keegan were to offer his resignation like he was fond of doing under SJH then I reckon Ashley would snap his arm off before he had chance to change his mind.

bullshit

Guest Knightrider

Just because you like to threaten to walk out on the club when something doesn't go your way doesn't mean everyone else would.

Oooh, get you :lol: At least I'm consistent...

Anyway, I could see many empty seats if that happened. Especially if KK came out afterwards and said it wasn't like it was in the brochure or something like that. I think that would be the straw tbh given all the crap in recent years and the massive hope that Ashley and Co would see an end to all that when they took over.

Not that we'll be finding out any time soon, I think KK is here to stay for a few years yet and once we sign a few players all this speculative nonsense will blow away.

Hypothetical situation here, I've heard nowt and never do.  :snod:

But say what Baggio is saying were actually true, that Keegan was in fact being difficult about the new setup and was struggling to co-exist with Wise & co regarding what direction our transfer policy should take. Then say that they also believe this Marcelino to be a really top manager in the making, a guy they believe they can build well into the future with and see as their ideal manager.

What would people want the board to do?

Try and find a happy medium, look to co-exist and give the fans a couple of years of stability with KK in charge, allow him bring his own men in and play a bit of good football and maybe challenging for a UEFA Cup spot or have a good cup run perhaps at the very best? Then move to replace him at a more stable time, at which point there may not be an ideal option for them to replace him with, and maybe not a good core of young players to work with.

Or take the plunge and piss everyone off and make the move that you believe is in the best interests of the club, knowing the shitstorm it will cause but really believing it's for the best?

I would want the club to have the balls to take the hard choice, as upsetting as it would be to see KK be the casualty that gets caught in the middle.

Marcelino in, King Kev out?

May 25 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE are again considering replacing Kevin Keegan with top Spanish coach Marcelino, according to sources in Spain.

And he and Newcastle are directly linked through scout Pablo Longoria.

Having identified several new signings for Marcelino at Racing last summer and during his time at previous club Recreativo de Huelva, the Sunday Sun can reveal that Longoria — thought to be just 21 — is now talent-spotting in Europe on behalf of Newcastle.

And with the two men remaining close, it is little wonder that talk is rife in Spain of a United approach for Marcelino.

Longoria is liaising with Newcastle’s technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere in scouring Europe for bright young talent.

But the young Spaniard has no professional background in football, with his apparently encyclopaedic knowledge of players across the Continent said to be gained from the Internet.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2008/05/25/marcelino-in-king-kev-out-79310-20970575/

So some 21 year old FM geek from Spain is doing our continental scouting?

:pow:

Anyway, I could see many empty seats if that happened. Especially if KK came out afterwards and said it wasn't like it was in the brochure or something like that. I think that would be the straw tbh given all the crap in recent years and the massive hope that Ashley and Co would see an end to all that when they took over.

Not that we'll be finding out any time soon, I think KK is here to stay for a few years yet and once we sign a few players all this speculative nonsense will blow away.

I only say it because you usually bite better than that. O0

But yes, it is one of the problems with moving Keegan on and he is unsackable to a point, I can see the club just bringing the young players in whether he likes them or not and if he doesn't then to offer his resignation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marcelino take up a job on the coaching staff either.

Guest Knightrider

Hypothetical situation here, I've heard nowt and never do.  :snod:

But say what Baggio is saying were actually true, that Keegan was in fact being difficult about the new setup and was struggling to co-exist with Wise & co regarding what direction our transfer policy should take. Then say that they also believe this Marcelino to be a really top manager in the making, a guy they believe they can build well into the future with and see as their ideal manager.

What would people want the board to do?

Try and find a happy medium, look to co-exist and give the fans a couple of years of stability with KK in charge, allow him bring his own men in and play a bit of good football and maybe challenging for a UEFA Cup spot or have a good cup run perhaps at the very best? Then move to replace him at a more stable time, at which point there may not be an ideal option for them to replace him with, and maybe not a good core of young players to work with.

Or take the plunge and piss everyone off and make the move that you believe is in the best interests of the club, knowing the shitstorm it will cause but really believing it's for the best?

I would want the club to have the balls to take the hard choice, as upsetting as it would be to see KK be the casualty that gets caught in the middle.

I'll go with who I trust more, and that man would be KK who unlike the others will always have the club's best interests at heart and is the only man at the club capable of turning us around. I'd lose all confidence in Ashley if he decided to get rid of HIS appointment a few months in, a period where the team have done quite well giving fans hope for next season.

IF KK is digging his heals in and being awkward about brining in top young quality then he can piss off. No one is bigger than the club, KK isn't NUFC no matter how much some think he is.

I'll go with who I trust more, and that man would be KK who unlike the others will always have the club's best interests at heart and is the only man at the club capable of turning us around. I'd lose all confidence in Ashley if he decided to get rid of HIS appointment a few months in, a period where the team have done quite well giving fans hope for next season.

But what chance does he have of turning us around if he's pulling in a different direction to everyone else behind the scenes at the club? None, IYAM.

As for being the only man at the club capable of turning us around, how do you mean? The others have all been there less than a year, hardly enough time to judge them is it?

Guest Knightrider

I only say it because you usually bite better than that. O0

But yes, it is one of the problems with moving Keegan on and he is unsackable to a point, I can see the club just bringing the young players in whether he likes them or not and if he doesn't then to offer his resignation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marcelino take up a job on the coaching staff either.

That's the point me and my bro in law were trying to raise at Beardsley's recent talk in, that because of who he is and what he means, he's going to be almost irreplaceable, whatever the scenario, and that could potentially be a huge problem for the club.

If the club sack him, fans would go ape shit.

If he succeeds again, well, no manager on earth would ever be good enough for us.

And if he fails, I think fans would lose all hope.

Ashley isn't the only one who has invested a lot here, we are too, even KK.

Thinking about it all, KK coming back is so wrong, it is going to work. I really believe that. That's what type of club we are. Teething problems at the moment, that is all. I'm pretty confident.

Regarding young players, I've heard he has no real say on young kids getting signed and is happy to trust the others to fill the academy with whatever talent they decide to go for.

Guest Knightrider

But what chance does he have of turning us around if he's pulling in a different direction to everyone else behind the scenes at the club? None, IYAM.

As for being the only man at the club capable of turning us around, how do you mean? The others have all been there less than a year, hardly enough time to judge them is it?

If KK is pulling in a different direction, he will have seen something we haven't and will be doing so for the good of the club.

Your other point, is Ashley going to sit in the dugout? Wise? Heaven forbid. So KK really is the only man at the club capable and as he is the man they've appointed, they have to trust him and back him, if KK is pulling in the wrong direction, they need to bow down to his experience, superior knowledge and get in whatever lane he's in.

If KK sees a different way, they follow his lead, not the other way around. Otherwise why appoint him? That's how it should be anyway.

Lets remember some things here. Wise isn't here for the love of NUFC, he's here because someone offered him lots of money for a cushy role, that allows him to remain in London and basically work at his leisure. Ashley is here on business and leisure. KK is here to win football games for his beloved Newcastle United. Which man do you trust more? Who do you want running the show?

Again I trust KK 100% and rather than wanting him to bend to their way, I'd want them to bend to his. Getting rid or moving on to someone else, would be a complete cop out and not the way forward. The way forward is for KK to be allowed to run the club as he sees fit, within reason.

KK wouldn't demand the impossible or cause the kind of problems that undermines operations, if he's unhappy there will be very good and valid reasons for it and the powers that be need to heed all that and make the man happy.

That's the point me and my bro in law were trying to raise at Beardsley's recent talk in, that because of who he is and what he means, he's going to be almost irreplaceable, whatever the scenario, and that could potentially be a huge problem for the club.

If he succeeds again, well, no manager on earth would ever be good enough for us.

Thinking about it all, KK coming back is so wrong, it is going to work. I really believe that. That's what type of club we are. Teething problems at the moment, that is all. I'm pretty confident.

Regarding young players, I've heard he has no real say on young kids getting signed and is happy to trust the others to fill the academy with whatever talent they decide to go for.

When I said young players I didn't mean to fill up the academy, I'm talking about players under 24 that would be for the first team.

Jeff Vetere has found some players who he thinks could go on to be the next big things in football but Keegan won't play ball, it's why the club have enquired about these players but haven't put any bids in since the season has closed, because they want Keegan to be in on the transfers but they feel he's being deliberately awkward.

With Ashley not being prepared to let the club spend big on ageing players and Keegan dragging his feet over the young lads it could be a shit Summer at NUFC, the last thing we need is a power struggle in the middle of a transfer window.

If KK is pulling in a different direction, he will have seen something we haven't and will be doing so for the good of the club.

Your other point, is Ashley going to sit in the dugout? Wise? Heaven forbid. So KK really is the only man at the club capable and as he is the man they've appointed, they have to trust him and back him, if KK is pulling in the wrong direction, they need to bow down to his experience, superior knowledge and get in whatever lane he's in.

I'd assume that if Keegan were to leave, someone else will be brought in. A reasonable assumption I think.

I don't doubt that his heart is in the right place, but the man isn't infallible. He may think he's trying to steer the club in what he thinks is the right direction, but who's to say that he's right? Loving the club doesn't make him automatically the all-knowing oracle of NUFC.

The rest of your post is just living in a fantasy land tbh.

When I said young players I didn't mean to fill up the academy, I'm talking about players under 24 that would be for the first team.

Jeff Vetere has found some players who he thinks could go on to be the next big things in football but Keegan won't play ball, it's why the club have enquired about these players but haven't put any bids in since the season has closed, because they want Keegan to be in on the transfers but they feel he's being deliberately awkward.

With Ashley not being prepared to let the club spend big on ageing players and Keegan dragging his feet over the young lads it could be a shit Summer at NUFC, the last thing we need is a power struggle in the middle of a transfer window.

Why would we not just have signed them anyway despite what Keegan says?  He doesn't have any power to veto a deal.