Today's Paper Talk.... (It's May btw)

Guest johnson293

Marcelino in, King Kev out?

May 25 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE are again considering replacing Kevin Keegan with top Spanish coach Marcelino, according to sources in Spain.

And he and Newcastle are directly linked through scout Pablo Longoria.

Having identified several new signings for Marcelino at Racing last summer and during his time at previous club Recreativo de Huelva, the Sunday Sun can reveal that Longoria — thought to be just 21 — is now talent-spotting in Europe on behalf of Newcastle.

And with the two men remaining close, it is little wonder that talk is rife in Spain of a United approach for Marcelino.

Longoria is liaising with Newcastle’s technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere in scouring Europe for bright young talent.

But the young Spaniard has no professional background in football, with his apparently encyclopaedic knowledge of players across the Continent said to be gained from the Internet.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2008/05/25/marcelino-in-king-kev-out-79310-20970575/

So some 21 year old FM geek from Spain is doing our continental scouting?

:pow:

Used to know all the players in my Champ Man days (for a good 3 editions).......wish I`d thought about applying for a scouting position at NUFC that time

If the club announced that Keegan was replaced by Marcelino then Ashley, Mort, Wise, Vetere, Jimenez and Llambias would be hanging from the Gallowgate before people realised that it isn't Marcelino of the dodgy finger.

SWP would be a mint signing for us tbh

Another big 4 reject who's been more interested in picking up a fat pay cheque rather then playing every week.

On the plus side it would hopefully mean the end of Milner so it's not all bad.

SWP is a player like Glen Johnson, who is bound to come good at some stage in his career. If he's available, let's snap him up.

The problem isn't his talent, which is obvious. It's his decision-making or 'end product', as is the buzz word. In many ways, he does have more options than most players, because he can get past people in such a variety of ways. As a result, he often hangs on to the ball too long and he's hard for his team-mates to predict. With Beckham, you know exactly when he's going to deliver his cross because there's nothing else he can do.

I'm not blessed with inside information, but I can't see that it's difficult to believe that there's a problem between Keegan and the new set up. In the past, he's gone for big money signings of established players, and he's established a dominating position within the club. That's not the way the new regime is working.

You might then ask, why he accepted the job in the first place, knowing that's how it was going to be. Well, we must all have heard the story that his business in Glasgow was losing money.

If there's a problem, it's got to be sorted out now. Board and manager not working together has been the story of this club over the last few seasons, and that has to change.

And finally, I can't believe that this Marcelino guy has left his club without something else in the pipeline.

so he took racing to 6th place....erm good achievment, but it would disgraceful if we replaced KK with him based on that!

Perhaps the club see him as a highly rated young manager who would work well with the youth policy they're trying to implement into the club.

I don't think Keegan is as popular behind the scenes as he is on the terraces lets just say.

It's certainly not an outrageous concept that they may be thinking of moving Keegan on and bringing in a younger man who they may feel more comfortable with, if there are problems with Keegan behind the scenes that is.

It'd be an incredible risk to take mind you, getting rid of a fans hero like Keegan and replacing him with someone that 99% of our fans will never have even heard of. Marcelino has done well in his very short managerial career so far, but he's not proven class by any means and could easily be a complete disaster.

That said this guy could be the next big thing in management for all we know, and getting him in now could end up being an absolute masterstroke.

I think it's probably too risky for them to seriously consider though.

They'd instantly lose the backing of most if not all the fans if they got rid of Keegan now. It'd be PR suicide, and they'd have to be utterly brainless to not know it.

If KK got sacked or walked because he was being undermined, Ashley will be the only bloke at SJP with a Toon top on other than the players on the pitch next season as fans would walk with KK.

Heard all this before, many many times ; fans just WON'T stop going to SJP. whether KK goes or not.

IF the board appointed a new manager with a half-decent record, there would NOT be a boycott - its just wishful thinking...as soon as the team started doing reasonably well, the vast majority would be straight back to their seats.

It wasn't until SJH appeared on the scene AND the team started losing that the fans eventually saw that some sort of boycott was necessary.Things are totally different this time and as long as results were decent and a few decent players signed, nothing would happen.

If KK sees a different way, they follow his lead, not the other way around. Otherwise why appoint him?

That's the key question....if Ashley doesn't like Keegans roadmap for the club, then why is he employing him as Manager.  You don't hire someone who wants to go against the Corporate vision, it's a recipe for disaster. 

They may not be 100% aligned on individual players but I bet they share the same common vision of how best to move the club forward.

Guest Knightrider

They may not be 100% aligned on individual players but I bet they share the same common vision of how best to move the club forward.

Probably the stand out comment in this whole thread. Agreed 100%

so he took racing to 6th place....erm good achievment, but it would disgraceful if we replaced KK with him based on that!

Perhaps the club see him as a highly rated young manager who would work well with the youth policy they're trying to implement into the club.

I don't think Keegan is as popular behind the scenes as he is on the terraces lets just say.

It's certainly not an outrageous concept that they may be thinking of moving Keegan on and bringing in a younger man who they may feel more comfortable with, if there are problems with Keegan behind the scenes that is.

It'd be an incredible risk to take mind you, getting rid of a fans hero like Keegan and replacing him with someone that 99% of our fans will never have even heard of. Marcelino has done well in his very short managerial career so far, but he's not proven class by any means and could easily be a complete disaster.

That said this guy could be the next big thing in management for all we know, and getting him in now could end up being an absolute masterstroke.

They'd instantly lose the backing of most if not all the fans if they got rid of Keegan now. It'd be PR suicide, and they'd have to be utterly brainless to not know it.

If KK got sacked or walked because he was being undermined, Ashley will be the only bloke at SJP with a Toon top on other than the players on the pitch next season as fans would walk with KK.

Heard all this before, many many times ; fans just WON'T stop going to SJP. whether KK goes or not.

IF the board appointed a new manager with a half-decent record, there would NOT be a boycott - its just wishful thinking...as soon as the team started doing reasonably well, the vast majority would be straight back to their seats.

It wasn't until SJH appeared on the scene AND the team started losing that the fans eventually saw that some sort of boycott was necessary.Things are totally different this time and as long as results were decent and a few decent players signed, nothing would happen.

Fans have stopped going before and certainly could do again, if my memory serves me right NUFC fans for change where on the scene before SJH and in fact it was this that encouraged him, could be wrong there right enough. It wasnt just losing a few games which kicked off the boycott but a genuine disgruntlement with how the club was being run.

You may be right in saying that as long as the team was winning fans would turn up again i'm not too sure.

They could not possibly replace KK before season ticket renewels and if they did it afterwards i think the betrayal would undo any decent work this board have done so far and they would lose the fans.

I'm pretty sure this wont happen like and KK will sign a few diamonds in the summer to set us up for a solid season after which with massive financial backing it will be onwards and upwards and after we win the Premiership Carling cup FA cup and Champions League Mike Ashley will ride off on his white charger to cure world poverty.

Guest battyleespeed

What a load of c***. While Ashley is still figuring out his backroom "formations" we haven't done anything concrete in the transfer market and only seem to be interested in youngsters that won't have any impact in the first team for years. Ashley needs to give cash to Keegan right now to sign experienced players that have a good chance of making immediate impact in the first team. The news of the backroom goings and comings are far from assuring and we haven't shown any real determination and drive in signing established players.

"Ashley needs to give cash to Keegan"

erm NO.

its exactly this short term thinking that has lead nufc into massive debt and on the verge of collapse.  Sensible management dictates that we alter this reckless use of resources.

Alittle short termpain for longer term gain is prudent stuff.  Afew years of mid table mediocrity to stabalise the club before kicking on would be one way forward.

Seems like ashley is thinking that just throwingmoney at the club is not the solution. 

concerning players who have been linked to us recently

------

Dean Ashton has agreed a new five-year contract at West Ham and will almost treble his salary. (Daily Star)

Chelsea's England wide-man Shaun Wright-Phillips is a £10m target for Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp. (The Sun)

Sunderland manager Roy Keane wants to sign Newcastle's Damien Duff, Reading's Stephen Hunt and Aiden McGeady of Celtic. (Daily Mail)

Arsenal are leading the race to sign Wolves's highly rated goalkeeper Wayne Hennessy. (Daily Mirror)

Everton, Newcastle and Middlesbrough are also in the chase to capture the keeper. (Daily Star)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7424960.stm

concerning players who have been linked to us recently

------

Dean Ashton has agreed a new five-year contract at West Ham and will almost treble his salary. (Daily Star)

Chelsea's England wide-man Shaun Wright-Phillips is a £10m target for Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp. (The Sun)

Sunderland manager Roy Keane wants to sign Newcastle's Damien Duff, Reading's Stephen Hunt and Aiden McGeady of Celtic. (Daily Mail)

Arsenal are leading the race to sign Wolves's highly rated goalkeeper Wayne Hennessy. (Daily Mirror)

Everton, Newcastle and Middlesbrough are also in the chase to capture the keeper. (Daily Star)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7424960.stm

Utter bollocks

Why would he want 3 new wide players? Also has it got to the point now where the papers will pick random Irish players and make up a story that Keane wants them?

Guest nufc_geordie

What a load of c***. While Ashley is still figuring out his backroom "formations" we haven't done anything concrete in the transfer market and only seem to be interested in youngsters that won't have any impact in the first team for years. Ashley needs to give cash to Keegan right now to sign experienced players that have a good chance of making immediate impact in the first team. The news of the backroom goings and comings are far from assuring and we haven't shown any real determination and drive in signing established players.

This stays to me you are either really young or you don't understand football (or both). The problem this club has had for years is the lets pay stupid money, bring in trophy signing attitude and it has not worked. Ashley is trying to install at structure at the club which is sustainable. By buying young and developing you are increasing squad numbers at minimal cost and as these players develop you end up with players of more value and a more steady squad. We have no depth at present. In 2-3 years these players will (should be) knocking on the first team door giving the manager some headaches for selection, somehting that we don't have at present.

The mess this club has got itself in over the last 5-10 years is unbelievable. The only thing more unbelievable is that people expect that by throwing huge sums of money at the problem they can be resolved overnight-well they can't. We are a long term project requiring complete rebuilding from the youth set-ups upwards. That is are only hop e of establishing ourselves in the upper eschelons of the league again.

"Ashley needs to give cash to Keegan"

erm NO.

its exactly this short term thinking that has lead nufc into massive debt and on the verge of collapse.  Sensible management dictates that we alter this reckless use of resources.

Alittle short termpain for longer term gain is prudent stuff.  Afew years of mid table mediocrity to stabalise the club before kicking on would be one way forward.

Seems like ashley is thinking that just throwingmoney at the club is not the solution. 

Some more sense at last!

If KK sees a different way, they follow his lead, not the other way around. Otherwise why appoint him?

That's the key question....if Ashley doesn't like Keegans roadmap for the club, then why is he employing him as Manager.  You don't hire someone who wants to go against the Corporate vision, it's a recipe for disaster. 

the "roadmap" is still probably the same, predominantly younger players with sell on values but agreeing on those players may be the problem. for example if baggio is correct then of the 2 lists i'd be more prepared to go with verete/wise than keegans.

Yes, Ashley does seem to be implementing economical logic and good straightforward planning instead of "off the cuff" decision making. This can only do Newcastle the world of good, we have seen what happens with mismanagement at the top of the tree (Sheppard) and will not be making this mistake.

Instead of only having two or three youngsters knocking at the first team door (LualUa, Carrol & Krul?) we should be looking to have five or six who can get there quite soon, this will save the club serious outlay and will mean we can concetrate the transfer funds we do have on one or two top class players.

I don't beleive for a minute that Keegan doesn't see the benefits of this "system", I suppose his major complaint would be to keep the players he wants happy (owen, martins, charlie...etc) by offering new contracts.

I think he will be allowed to buy 20 million woth of players and then have to sell players if he wants other new recruits (Smith, Emre, Shola...).

While the way Ashley has decided to run the club will be of benefit we shouldnt be against spending big money just because of what happened in the past

i don't think theres a  problem on the money front but more on the actual players it should be spent on.

I think KK will be reasonably happy provided they keep Owen.  I think he'll offload Duff, Emre, Smith and possibly Viduka which would probably bring the wage bill into decent order considering Carr's gone and Babyaro left earlier in the season. 

Provided KK is allowed to bring in 3/4 experienced players and a similar amount of younsters with one or two pushing for a start I think we'll be in good shape.  We will have a small improvement which will enable us to build on this over the next 3 years to be in a position to challenge the top 6 in the 2010-2011 season with hopefully the likes of Kadar, Krul, Forster, Tozer, Baheng and Zamblera pushing for starts.

Next season we should be looking 7th-10th and pushing for the Intertoto or UEFA if the top 4 regain their dominance of the cups.

Fans have stopped going before and certainly could do again, if my memory serves me right NUFC fans for change where on the scene before SJH and in fact it was this that encouraged him, could be wrong there right enough. It wasnt just losing a few games which kicked off the boycott but a genuine disgruntlement with how the club was being run.

You may be right in saying that as long as the team was winning fans would turn up again i'm not too sure.

They could not possibly replace KK before season ticket renewels and if they did it afterwards i think the betrayal would undo any decent work this board have done so far and they would lose the fans.

I'm pretty sure this wont happen like and KK will sign a few diamonds in the summer to set us up for a solid season after which with massive financial backing it will be onwards and upwards and after we win the Premiership Carling cup FA cup and Champions League Mike Ashley will ride off on his white charger to cure world poverty.

Have a look at attendances during Season 1988-89, which was when the club signed Robertson(Hearts), Thorn & Beasant(Wimbledon) and John Hendrie(Bradford City) after selling Gazza to Spurs...the place was packed , simply because the club had spent big money on these players and only Hendrie was anything like a success...relegation followed...this was also the season that SJH had declared his takeover bid....

In 89-90, the club failed to win promotion after losing at home to the Mackems in the play-offs and again had some very decent attendances.

The only time there has been a serious boycott at SJP was the final home game of 77-78 against Norwich AFTER the club's relegation had been confirmed ; a mere 7,700 turned up which was, of course, a protest gesture.

I say again, there would be NO boycott if KK walked out and was replaced by a decent manager who was given a reasonable budget to spend...there would only be major reaction if someone like Souness got the job again, and that is highly-unlikely.

NUFC fans had 3 or 4 years of managerial cock-ups under Shepherd, they watched the club decline and there was STILL no boycott of any significance - never underestimate the 'we've got to support the Lads whatever happens' syndrome !