Reasons why not many transfers/public negotiations happen this time of year

James

Rather than hearing endless complaining about things not happening at SJP right now, why not properly consider the number of reasons why these kind of things aren't happenning anywhere:

1) Players are on holiday far away from the clubs that want them.

2) Players are on international duty a. National coaches are enforcing an agent ban

b. Players are fully devoted to their countries and want to avoid distractions.

3) Buying club manager is on holiday - they have been working all season too.

4) Selling club manager is on holiday

5) Buying club chairman/officials on holiday - don't forget that they have been overseeing the operations of the club over the past 9 months.

6) Selling club chairman/officials on holiday

7) Agent's are busy looking after other clients on their portfolio.

8) Buying club wants to analyse player's performances against higher standard players in Euro 2008.

9) Selling club hoping Euro 2008 will cause a price hike.

10) Player hoping to impress bigger clubs at Euro 2008.

11) Agent/Player hoping Euro 2008 will strengthen position during wage negotiations.

12) Selling club making sure that they can find a replacement.

13) Buying club talking to several people about several players to ensure that they get the best possible group of players rather than waste their budget on the early deals.

14) Players waiting to see what other clubs are going to make an approach.

15) Buyer playing hardball when the only interested club to keep fees/wages low.

16) Selling clubs assessing anticipated departures and how much money they expect to/need to raise.

17) Negotiating parties just being very quiet.

It's right though, a lot of people involved in the game will be away for the next couple of weeks.

Things will start kicking off towards mid-June, like they always do, obviously this summer that will mainly be with players who aren't in Austria/Switzerland for the Euro's!

Wish I was on holiday again now like last year, it made things a lot more bearable. Seeing Alan Smith in the flesh only enhanced things too!!

I got back and we had a new board, a new manager and we'd signed two players!

PS: I'm not saying you don't have a point, just saying the reason this thread exists is because of a conversation in another thread and probably where it belongs as a post not a new thread.

It's right though, a lot of people involved in the game will be away for the next couple of weeks.

Things will start kicking off towards mid-June, like they always do, obviously this summer that will mainly be with players who aren't in Austria/Switzerland for the Euro's!

Wish I was on holiday again now like last year, it made things a lot more bearable. Seeing Alan Smith in the flesh only enhanced things too!!

WHAT!?

Dirty bugger.

Needed saying, as a significant number of people seem to want to ignore all of these technicalities.

Like you want to ignore:

1) Were getting beat to signings

2) Our manager doesn't need a holiday and should be doing everything for the club over the summer

3) Not all players are on Holiday

4) Players are the last part of a deal, clubs and agents are still working

5) Not all players are called up for NT duty

6) Prices are going to sky for players who do well in 2008

7) There's no smoke without fire, and currently there isn't much smoke

8) We've a lot of work to do

9) We've a lot of shit to get rid of

10) Talk of a power struggle

11) talk of low summer budgets

12) Player contracts still not sorted

13) Club not as big as it used to be

14) KK not doing the negotiations and or meeting the players

15) Current targets prices rising everyday

If you see him again kick him as hard as you possibly can in the knee in the hope you injure him so will no longer play again.

Guest sicko2ndbest

How early Spurs are doing all their deals is the only reason we are getting uptight.

If we are prepared to spend a club record on Modric, when Keegan has clearly stated he needs 3-4 new players i think our budget is within the realms of KKs imagination and who he can actually get to come

We are talking about the price of Gomis going up or 'bigger' clubs coming in for him, but the top 4 have bigger targets. They will want players with top track records, Berbatov, Eto, Tevez, Villa etc not Gomis.

I trust Ashley and KK and believe things will start kicking off within 2 weeks

Can't we just have a general 'HOMGZEH NO S1GnrInGHs yEt????!1!1?!?!!11?' thread, and anyone who posts something along those lines outside the thread gets banned? We could start with Toon's Taylor, just for fun, on account of being either irredeemably stupid or a giant troll.

james, why does having an opinion about how NUFC conduct their transfer policy/strategy have to be deemed complaining?  it's no different from having an opinion about tactics or team selection in my opinion...i feel if the club operated in certain way it would be of benefit to us, it's not complaining

fact is over the years we've largely operated the sit back and wait about policy (get started in june, it'll take care of itself) and lets face it, it's hardly been a roaring success has it? 

also in your list of 17 there isn't a single one of them that would prevent a piece of business going ahead if the buying club wanted it enough, but granted these are generally the reasons transfers don't happen early - the point i'm trying to make is that deals COULD be done early if we persued them hard enough

james, why does having an opinion about how NUFC conduct their transfer policy/strategy have to be deemed complaining?  it's no different from having an opinion about tactics or team selection in my opinion...i feel if the club operated in certain way it would be of benefit to us, it's not complaining

fact is over the years we've largely operated the sit back and wait about policy (get started in june, it'll take care of itself) and lets face it, it's hardly been a roaring success has it? 

also in your list of 17 there isn't a single one of them that would prevent a piece of business going ahead if the buying club wanted it enough, but granted these are generally the reasons transfers don't happen early - the point i'm trying to make is that deals COULD be done early if we persued them hard enough

So 'over the years' you've been sitting by the NUFC Official Fax Machine keeping a close eye on how we conduct out transfer business then? And you've also been and talked the the 17 players concerned? I'm glad you have, because otherwise what you posted would have been complete tripe.

Now I'm going to bed, too many beers make me easy troll-bait.

So 'over the years' you've been sitting by the NUFC Official Fax Machine keeping a close eye on how we conduct out transfer business then? And you've also been and talked the the 17 players concerned? I'm glad you have, because otherwise what you posted would have been complete tripe.

Night night sweetheart.

Needed saying, as a significant number of people seem to want to ignore all of these technicalities.

Like you want to ignore:

1) Were getting beat to signings One player, happens every season, at least we did make our move when we had to

2) Our manager doesn't need a holiday and should be doing everything for the club over the summer Was part of the agreement when he joined NUFC, would you rather we didn't have him?

3) Not all players are on Holiday No, some are on international duty

4) Players are the last part of a deal, clubs and agents are still working Not everywhere, last season we couldn't sign public target Rozehnal because the PSG chairman was on holiday

5) Not all players are called up for NT duty No, they are on holiday

6) Prices are going to sky for players who do well in 2008 Why should a club sell now then?

7) There's no smoke without fire, and currently there isn't much smoke There was even less smoke when we signed Jose Enrique

8) We've a lot of work to do As have all teams, only five players bought for a fee in the PL

9) We've a lot of shit to get rid of Doesn't matter who we don't sell, it is who we have available to play

10) Talk of a power struggle in the tabloids

11) talk of low summer budgets Yet bidding millions for Modric in April

12) Player contracts still not sorted Negotiations take time, plus we need to check wages of potential signings first

13) Club not as big as it used to be Signed good players when in worser state

14) KK not doing the negotiations and or meeting the players Says who?

15) Current targets prices rising everyday Then why sell now?

wow...wow...not sure what troll-bait is but i'm guessing a pre-requisite is an inability to read?

The overwhelming cause of lack of activity at this time of year is the fact that clubs do NOT want to have to pay the huge wages of today's players during the close season if they can avoid it - suppose NUFC signed 3 players who each receive 60,000 pw ; if they joined on, say, 1 June, the club has to pay their wages for around 8 weeks before they are in serious action on the pitch; the total outlay is 60,000 x 3 = 180,000 x 8 = 1.44 MILLION pounds....!!

OK, I know there might be one or two sold, but then the clubs buying them are also not keen to be landed with large wages in the close season and in addition, if we are selling players, the odds are that in 9 cases out of 10, it will be to a poorer club......

Not hard to see how hard-headed business types like Ashley etc are reluctant to do deals inwards right now, even though we know that we run the risk of losing our targeted players to other clubs - players wages are far too high, and this is one of the consequences of them, even to clubs like NUFC..

Different for the likes of Man Ure, as they have a constant world-wide income from merchandise sales, even in the UK summer, which is why it was so costly for us to miss the PL title in 96 ; a success then may have carried the club forward into a similar bracket as they are now.