Can we compete with Manchester City?

Dave

Laughable as it may seem, according to the BBC (Radio Five Live are running it on their sport bulletins) Man City have been given permission by Barcelona to open talks with Ronaldinho. :lol:

Now supposing this is true, and they stand any chance of getting him, should we be in for him? And if so, could we beat City to his signature?

Nobody seems to be laughing at their attempts like they certainly would be if it were us, why is that? ???

Think about it; it'd be trophy-signingtastic but it'd stun the fans (could there be a bigger statement of intent?), satisfy the board (shirt sales aplenty, baby) and surely be a dream for any manager, let alone the attack-minded Keegan.

The world would sit up and listen. Season ticket sales would go through the roof. Hell, even MaethiS and NE5 might shut up for a day or two.

The media say that Ronaldinho would be paid £200K a week! Man City would have to sell a hell of a lot of shirts each week to cover that.

Ronaldinho's stock has fallen but I'm amazed he'd even consider going to Man City (or any other club not in the Champions League).

Guest optimistic nit

i can see this burning bright for a while then going out in spectacular fassion, which is a slight pity because i like citeh.

i would love rohnaldinho, but not at the expense of a long term action plan.

weirdly this could be good for us, as i think it could be that as soon as one club breaks the top 4, it could make it easier for others to follow, liverpool seem to really need to finish 4th every year, or they could be in real trouble. ManU need it as well imo, although they are more secure, and Arsenal have that new stadium as well.

Guest optimistic nit

The media say that Ronaldinho would be paid £200K a week! Man City would have to sell a hell of a lot of shirts each week to cover that.

Ronaldinho's stock has fallen but I'm amazed he'd even consider going to Man City (or any other club not in the Champions League).

i'm sure for 200K a week he'd go to FC United.

The prob for Man City is that Thaksin will only be throwing his ill-gotten gains around for as long as he still feels the need to try and buy popularity.

Rather have Fat Fred than that bastard, tbh. I hope he ends up in prison.

this is the way i see it:

we are trying to spend less on players overall, right? imo, the best way to do this is to fork out in a pretty big way now, to get us up there into a position where players actually want to join us, (as they evidently do spurs)? its going to take a signal of intent on our part (which i believe modric would have been btw), and for players to join us, or want to join us, we are going to have to recruit a couple of big fish.

and regardless of current form, they dont come much bigger than ronaldinho, and whoever gets him, the football world will sit up and take notice of imo, and thats exactly what we need.

Laughable as it may seem, according to the BBC (Radio Five Live are running it on their sport bulletins) Man City have been given permission by Barcelona to open talks with Ronaldinho. :lol:

Now supposing this is true, and they stand any chance of getting him, should we be in for him? And if so, could we beat City to his signature?

Nobody seems to be laughing at their attempts like they certainly would be if it were us, why is that? ???

Think about it; it'd be trophy-signingtastic but it'd stun the fans (could there be a bigger statement of intent?), satisfy the board (shirt sales aplenty, baby) and surely be a dream for any manager, let alone the attack-minded Keegan.

The world would sit up and listen. Season ticket sales would go through the roof. Hell, even MaethiS and NE5 might shut up for a day or two.

On his own, not a chance.  On his own its pretty much what you would call the ultimate "trophy" signing.

Their ticket sales etc would go through the roof, naturally and rightly so. But what really matters is they follow it up with 2 or 3 really top quality younger signings. Such as Bentley, for one.  Persuading one or two players like Hart, Richards, Dunne and Johnson to sign longer deals. Now THAT would really convince me.

As for Newcastle United, and people saying that our new way of searching for bargains and kids is the way to go Would anybody on this message board not be delighted if Newcastle United did the above ?

Your point in bold is excellent Dave

Guest optimistic nit

i quite like the way we are working PROVIDED we actually do manage to sign quality. i don't really like throwning 200K a week plus 20million (probably about right isn't it) at any player, especially one who was injured for most of last season.

its really not a recipe for success.

i'm also getting the impression that thaskin has quite severe bipolar dissorder.

Guest BooBoo

He would be a amazing capture for City as it would almost guarantee that others would follow him to Eastlands. Playing alongside a former World Player of the Year certainly has more appeal than playing alongside the likes of Milner or Geremi.  :lol:

Guest BooBoo

i quite like the way we are working PROVIDED we actually do manage to sign quality. i don't really like throwning 200K a week plus 20million (probably about right isn't it) at any player, especially one who was injured for most of last season.

its really not a recipe for success.

Its early days but i'm not convinced we will. I think if we scrap the big pay day that NUFC have recently dangled infront of targets, then we actually have very little to appear an attractive move

I think Barca have had the best of Ronaldinho. If he goes to Citeh, I can see it all ending in tears.

Its a statement of intent but one which would be better served by signing 6 very good players (on £40k per week) to improve the strength of their squad.

It's a commercial decision this, not a football one.

How much does printing cost per letter at the club shop these days btw? :laugh:

In fact we'll know something's up if we buy in a load of the letter H, given that I can't see Rozehnal, Harper, Baheng or Smith getting a large upturn in sales...

I think Barca have had the best of Ronaldinho. If he goes to Citeh, I can see it all ending in tears.

Its a statement of intent but one which would be better served by signing 6 very good players (on £40k per week) to improve the strength of their squad.

agree. It's a statement of intent and despite what impression I've gave, not really what I'd do if it was my own choice, given his age. There are other ways of making statements of intent, and like us, they are in a position whereby it could propel them quite a lot.

You can't argue with his determination to get into the top clubs as quickly as possible. Like it or not, this is our competition, as the title of the thread says.

are we signing that Celtic player "Van Hesslebook of Holland" or whatever the hell his name is  bluelaugh.gif

are we signing that Celtic player "Van Hesslebook of Holland" or whatever the hell his name is  bluelaugh.gif

:lol:

agree. It's a statement of intent and despite what impression I've gave, not really what I'd do if it was my own choice, given his age. There are other ways of making statements of intent, and like us, they are in a position whereby it could propel them quite a lot.

You can't argue with his determination to get into the top clubs as quickly as possible. Like it or not, this is our competition, as the title of the thread says.

Agree, it certainly shows Thaksin's determination to break into the top four but it's just not the way I would do it and, unless it's properly thought through, it's not actually a sustainable stategy imo.

Best to see where we all stand at the end of the summer window.

Personally, I'd prefer to sign modric or arshavin for 30% of Ronny's wages and a shite load less hassle I'd guess.

Guest Stephen927

I have no idea whether Ashley would stump up the cash for him. Suggestions so far, with Modric and Woodgate, are that there is money available for Kevin, but £200,000 a week when they're trying to cut the wage bill? Unless thats who they're cutting the wage bill for.. ;)

Imagine the hysteria around the club, either us or City if one of us were to sign Ronaldinho. There would be a huge interest in our club, I'd fancy a few shirt sales (just a few mind.. :lol:) and great foreign interest.

I could see him choosing City over us. They have a owner whos willing to splash the cash and has made it known his intentions, whereas our owner is made out by the media to be looking to flog the club to Farmer Giles and a great deal of uncertainty surrounds us.

Who knows.

Guest Stephen927

What a brilliant way it would be for Ashley to say 'f*** you' to the media btw. :lol:

They'd spin it to be Ashleys leaving present to the new owner tbh.

We should be able to compete with them but lets not compete with them for the signing of Ronaldinho, way past his best, would want a massive wage he is the kind of mercenary that we do not want..

We should be able to compete with them but lets not compete with them for the signing of Ronaldinho, way past his best, would want a massive wage he is the kind of mercenary that we do not want..

Thing is though Skirge, as soon as City sign someone like Ronaldinho, then it becomes that little bit harder to compete with them for others.