Can we compete with Manchester City?

Dave

Thank you for answering my queries, NE5. Your posts do provide me some food for thoughts.

All I can say is, having been and stayed in Australia, United States, Singapore and United Kingdom (Manchester), I have rarely seen a Sunderland Supporter except in United Kingdom. Even in United Kingdom, Manchester itself, it was a rare sight based on conversations with friends and observing surrounding people and their conversations. On the contrary, I have seen many Tottenham supporters, some Aston Villa supporters since the 1990s.

I am not saying NE5 is wrong but could it be a misconception because he has friends who happens to be Sunderland supporters or who happens to live in the Sunderland area? Because, internationally, there really doesn't seem to be a lot of Sunderland supporters compared to Tottenham and Aston Villa supporters.

Surely, Sunderland does have the potential to become a big club if they have sustained successes, however, the same goes with all other clubs I feel. It is a global trend these days that there are this bunch/group of people who will take every opportunity to 'jump ship' to support a winning club.

As for the old board, they are not definitely not total failure. Everything has its pros or cons. It is rare to find total cons with a group or with an individual. They have virtues which are good too, however, people on this board may just be looking at the overall result, never mind the process the old board has brought us through. It is a habit for people these days to be only concerned with results and not the process. As much as I do like scrutinizing the process, the end-result is ultimately what matters. Sentiments do not have much value in today's world for most people contrary to the past I feel. Again, this is a global trend.

I hope you (NE5) are not offended by my post. Like I have previously mentioned, I am not saying that you are wrong. I do admit that there might be other matters that I do not have as much or adequate knowledge on compared to yourself, and that is exactly why it is definitely good to learn through a positive discussion.

By any chance, are you referring to 'support' as chairman/financial/backing the manager kind of support?

we might take the piss out of mackems mate, and yes I love it especially when one of my best mates is one and another of my best mates has a mackem wife  ;D - but joking aside, they are only 12 miles down the road from us, they aren't so much different, apart from being sad bastards.  ;D See I can't resist joking about them.

Their outlook on football is the same as ours, taking aside their complex about the big city Newcastle. Their support is almost as big as ours, seriously now, they have been run like a sack of shite for decades. Its not really a cliche, but the north has all the strongest football clubs in terms of how much football means to the supporters, the only trouble with the north east is just that there has been nothing to shout about. Its only since Newcastle got rid of McKeag, Seymour and Westwood that either of us have had anything to shout about. Niall Quinns a football man though, he'll understand that its football first with a club like sunderland, and if you get it right on the pitch, the rest will follow. Just like us.

Most of the big city clubs have potential, of course they have, and this is why they are the biggest clubs, its all down to catchment area and feeling towards the football. And in respect of filling their stadium, the mackems would fill it just as quickly and as easily as any other of the top northern clubs you can name.

BTW, I'm not offended at all, I wouldn't be offended by you stating an opinion in fact keep them coming.

Surely, Sunderland does have the potential to become a big club if they have sustained successes, however, the same goes with all other clubs I feel. It is a global trend these days that there are this bunch/group of people who will take every opportunity to 'jump ship' to support a winning club.

TBH, to say such a thing, shows a distinct lack of understanding about the georgraphy and demographic of the North East. Having lived away from the area for large portions of my life I can see how much different it is to other places.

Geordies and Northumbrians generally feel a sense of pride for their part of the world, most people do, but not to the same degree we do. It's probably rooted in our history and where we got the name Geordie from or the fact the area is so isolated from other urban areas in England.

Mackems once felt part of that "Geordie nation" as it were, but now seem to have adopted their own sense of bellonging under the "Mackem" banner. They have an inforority complex but all that's done is breed more pride in them for being a native of Sunderland.

Anyway both cities have a banner to fly under and since neither city has it's own army or is currently warring with anyone, football is the vehicle they use to show their pride.

We see this throughout the country, where whole towns and villages get behind their team. But  not on the scale of Newcastle and Sunderland, they are both one club cities and their populated are largely loyal to that club.

I've mentioned this before but the catchment area, certianly for Newcastle is abosuletly huge, Sunderland too have a big sleeping fanbase that just needs a little nudge of success to wake it up.

It's easy for people who don't come from the area or don't live in the area to think it's no different to other parts of the country. Take one look at the success and dismiss both clubs are no more than also rans in the "big club" debate. But that really is too simplistic, the area is different, unlike any other part of England.

It's not the people that do turn up for the matches that make both clubs huge clubs it's those that are dormant, those that would believe if you gave them something to believe in.

Clubs like Liverpool and ManUre have built their "Bigness" on the success they have had, while Newcastle and Sunderland's "Bigness" is in spite of the lack of success.

excellent mate.

• 1 month later...

£25m transfer fee plus

£150,000 per week for 4(?) years = £31m

They're committing the thick end of £50m into this transfer and he'll be virtually worthless at the end of the contract. That's just insanity.

£25m transfer fee plus

They're committing the thick end of £50m into this transfer and he'll be virtually worthless at the end of the contract. That's just insanity.

Ouch!

Someone made an excellent post a while back. He only plays well when he has that grin on his face and if he goes to City on mega bucks I dont think he will have it. We'll see, but if he goes there you'd have to think its only for the cash and he probably wont be able to enjoy the game like before.

"(Ronaldinho and his agent) have two interesting proposals and they are leaning more towards the one from Manchester City," Laporta told Catalunya Radio.

"We hope to be able to resolve the situation this week."

Wouldnt think twice about having him here. He's still an amazing player, and has plenty in the tank, also people who say the financial outlay wouldnt make sense are forgetting that he is almost as marketable as Beckham, would be another player who would pay for himself and also raise the profile of the club which would be excellent for us.

The only risk with this transfer - like any transfer, would be if he flopped, but i dont think he woudl, so in my eyes, a risk wroth taking. Even if he did flop he would prctically of paid himself off anyway...

Guest microbar

No our days of big singings are over they went out the door when we lost big fred.

We are now going to suffer under ashleys tight budget restrictions over the coming years.

Looks like mid table at best.

We'd have to sell 700+ shirts a day just to cover his wages though. ;)

Seriously, would he really 'pay for himself'?

Well its already been said by someone that the outlay would be around £50m, worldwide its not impossible to envisage that, it'd be 50 million shirts sold - obviously we wouldnt get that, but im confident we'd get quite close or we'd atleast get enough to make the money we actualy end up outlaying more reasonalbe.

Ronaldihno is easily in the top5 most marketable players in the world, probably the second.

With Ashley owning Sports Direct im surprised that the trophy signing route has been ruled out, the marketing practically does itself.

Add to the fact that the profile of the club would sky rocket with him on board, like La Galaxy have with Beckhamand the attraction for other player to come and have the oppurtunity to play with Ronaldihno and the more i think of it the more it'd make sense to pursue him.

Man City would probably actually sell-out every week with him there. He would pay for himself.

Shouldn't they be doing that anyway?

They don't though, do they?

We sell out a bigger stadium than Man City's every week, that wouldn't pay off a £50m transfer I'm afraid. People always say this in this situation - how much does the fee have to be exactly before they stop "paying for themselves"?

We sell out a bigger stadium than Man City's every week, that wouldn't pay off a £50m transfer I'm afraid. People always say this in this situation - how much does the fee have to be exactly before they stop "paying for themselves"?

well Beckhams 'income' to Real paid for both his and Zidanes salary if you believe the reports! (I know not technically fee related.....)

£25m transfer fee plus

Ouch!

I forgot his signing-on fee. That's usually about 10% of the fee so there's another £2.5m which could be added.

Having him at the club would work out at about £13m per year over 4 years.  :cheesy:

That's £35k per day

Guest MaetihS

Its a growing fact that as it stands, Man city has a brighter future than us with the money and all. can see them establish as a top 8 club. If Ronaldinho does come, it is a real statement of intent. what the hell, no green envious here, just excited to see one of the best players in the world play in the Prem League. Kaka, Messi and Ronaldo are not even on his par when he is on song.

Guest MaetihS

No our days of big singings are over they went out the door when we lost big fred.

We are now going to suffer under ashleys tight budget restrictions over the coming years.

bring back fat fred!!! all are forgiven.....we need a money splashing chairman to be competitive.

bring back fat fred!!! all are forgiven.....we need a money splashing chairman to be competitive.

Nah, you just need a check-up from the neck-up.